Prsish Build

New build, got some PRS templates I've never used. The nearest I've been to a PRS, was my Washburn RS10v back in 1986, bought it mail order, when it arrived it had one half quilted maple, one half flamed. what were they thinking?

Mahogany and wenge neck blank

IMG_20120410_152121.jpg

Got to decide how to cut it up to get the most out as its long enough for a neck thru as well

IMG_20120411_095644.jpg

Brown wood

IMG_20120413_123540.jpg

quilty goodness

IMG_20120411_125834.jpg

Looking good so far. I have a suggestion and a question. I notice that with most PRS builds, the biggest thing they mess up on is the carve on the bottom cutaway. They don't make it big enough. On the PRS, its more circular than I see people make it on their builds. As for the question, I notice you use wenge. I have a big slab of wenge but I heard about skin irritation problems when cutting wenge. Could you share your experiences with using wenge? Thanks.

Looking good so far. I have a suggestion and a question. I notice that with most PRS builds, the biggest thing they mess up on is the carve on the bottom cutaway. They don't make it big enough. On the PRS, its more circular than I see people make it on their builds. As for the question, I notice you use wenge. I have a big slab of wenge but I heard about skin irritation problems when cutting wenge. Could you share your experiences with using wenge? Thanks.

Sorry no feedback on wenge, perhaps because my fingers are covered with superglue? Seriously though I do wear a mask most of the time there is dust about. I think there is a thread about wood toxicity somewhere..

Trimed down the ebony plate with the router

IMG_20120419_094615.jpg

and remembered to angle the plate to the headstock angle

IMG_20120419_094633.jpg

Drilled small holes through the back of the plate then used a reamer to get them up to size, didn't want to risk chips

IMG_20120419_101354.jpg

Then went for it, first time binding a headstock, used the stewmac dremel guide. Notice the bit on the ear that chipped off & glued back another piece on

IMG_20120419_105040.jpg

Thats gonna be a BIG volute, lol. Love the binding/headstock cap combination.

thanks, should be pretty normal once neck is thicknessed down

What thickness are u sanding down to on the headstock?

normally use 15mm, no idea what a prs is?

Just measured my CE22, it's at 9/16" thick.

Chris

14.3mm, cheers Chris

Rosewood binding, was going to try grain match by cutting strips off the board, but by the time I'd jointed them would have lost a couple of mm. So cut some more strips with a bit of a contrast

IMG_20120420_103630.jpg

Board on

IMG_20120420_113254.jpg

trim down the binding on the router table

IMG_20120420_144309.jpg

Started getting the neck outline started, now got to decide if I want pickup rings or not.

IMG_20120420_160531.jpg

Looking fantastic so far! You're making it look easy

thanks

I might try my first inlay

IMG_20120421_132607.jpg

couple of tests with the dremel - I need the right bits. All I had was one that was too wide & the one I used was some cone shaped one, so to get the correct depth it was cutting angled walls.

IMG_20120421_142338.jpg

IMG_20120421_142402.jpg

Got some thinner ones coming from ebay, like the look of the stewmac downcut ones, but not at 18 quid each

Ok made sure no socks & crocs were visible, can't wait till its flipflop season and can break out these badboys again and yes I've got all 3 pairs!

http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/CTGY/flip-flops

First inlay experience..

Controlling the dremel is not too bad, with a tiny bit it doesn't wander or pull like a router would, the most difficult thing is seeing the line you are trying to keep to. I sprayed the board with a real light coat of white primer, then drew round the inlays with pencil - made it much easier to see. Some people like to scribe round the inlay, then cut deeper with a blade. I tried this on a test, but had more trouble following the outline with a knife than just using the dremel up to the line. If I was doing pyramids or block inlays cutting with a knife would be the way to go.

Glued in the inlays with rosewood dust mixed in, (remembered to tape the fret slots as the bound board would have been a pain to clean without that special Stewmac saw) let it dry then used a flat file to level them down to the board

Nearly flush with the radius in this pic

IMG_20120425_114957.jpg

went through the grits with the radius block

IMG_20120425_120205.jpg

fretting

IMG_20120425_133725.jpg

IMG_20120425_145856.jpg