Modern Moderne Or Moderne Replica

So i am going to be building a Moderne. some random ebaying has led to templates and a precut body blank winging their way towards me

the first question you may have is "Why?" simply because i want to - i have a fondness for ugly duckling oddball guitar designs

initially i was thinking of making a fairly accurate replica of the guitar that never existed - but i just noticed gibson have actually done another run of "reissues"

This has led me to rethink and maybe do a Modernised Moderne

first thought was headless, but i will save that for the corvus when i eventually build one - and john has already done that idea, twice!! :D

if i do go for an up to date version i certainly wont be using any of the original headstock designs - well, possibly a slim flying v one

i am contemplating a fanned fret version ???

moderne1.jpg

speaking of headstocks, gibson did manage to do an almost passable version of the original

DSRXSTGH1_HS.jpg

sadly they put it on this

post-1984-1205034350.jpg

Was never a fan of these. look very awkward. But I saw Joe Satriani's & actualy liked the way it felt in the hand. Played nice, despite the fact that they were never supposed to have existed :D . It was a korina guitar, which I think for gibbo, often means it was most likly a pre-production mule for testing.

Will be interesting to see your own take on it.

Wez I would build a replica.

For me the Moderne is a piece of Gibson legend not a great guitar. I think modernizing one would only produce a moderne ugly guitar. For me I would think owning a Korina Moderne replica would be about the nostalgia not the playability.

I look forward to whatever you decide.

The idea of a modern Moderne sounds great to me! I think the design is pretty damn sexy and I'm always for improving old designs. I think if you're going to do it, you should make it better. Evolve that b*tch!

FWIW, this is coming from somebody with no interest in replicas.

Edited by NotYou

i did have a quick mock up of the way i would probably go - not with this fretboard though, but you get the idea

moderne2.jpg

not perfect yet and i would want to do something more with the electrics - but i do think the idea of making it fanned fret has potential

I know exactly how to put you off this strange perverted idea Wez.

<edit: I have no idea whether he tries to "talk" in this video as this computer is currently spread across the room and loosely connected in bits and isn't connected to the amp right now>

Edited by Prostheta

moderne2.jpg

the moderne doesnt have to be a total loss

that is pretty awful Tim :D

prostheta - why mention zachary!!! O.K, that may have helped put me off the idea of making a more modern styled one

How about a Moderne Custom Black Beauty?

Black finish, 5 ply binding, gold plate, block inlays...

but this has seriously got me considering a gold or black top version :D

black finish on top only, cream binding, Cream P-90's and wraparound bridge, trapezoid inlays

So i am going to be building a Moderne.

speaking of headstocks, gibson did manage to do an almost passable version of the original

DSRXSTGH1_HS.jpg

YES Wez !!!! Do it !!!

For some strange reason I can't possibly explain I like the design of the Moderne...

Must be korina, of course. Love the idea of the blacktop. Not too much the fanned fret thing...

Just keep it traditional, but the above headstock is definitely the one to use !!! (though I would probably make a mirror version of it...):D

probably 24 5/8" for a traditional gibson feel

although part of me thinks the introduction of modern tuners would look daft if everything else was pure vintage - so is it worth going for a modern adjustable bridge

but then my last firebird build had the steiny tuners, pigtail bridge and tru-oil finish but still had a strong vintage vibe without being an accurate replica

fb11.jpg