Build 2: Curly Redwood And Red Mahogany

• 1 month later...

That site is great.... maybe a pearl white would fit the bill.... with a lightly dyed top it would look very nice.... altho you would have to dye, seal then fill the designs so it doesn't bleed through and do a wipe of the product before it sets up so you don't have to sand too much... a nice clear and Bob's your uncle

OMG. That inlay...... thats amazing!!!!!

If you've never worked with redwood before, be very careful with it! It's my least favorite wood ever... its such a shame it looks so damn good though lol.

Also, you can get epoxy dyes at hobby stores, any color. If you're in the usa, hobby lobby sells it, and its really cheap too. Just makes it take longer to dry.

That type of mahogany looks amazing with only a clear - just putting it out there. I've got a guitar in the works at the moment with mahogany that looked like it could have come from the same plank as yours - yet after clear its very, very pretty.

Did they use something like that on the old Ricks? I didn't know that. Wood carvers like to use this- often with the turquoise chips - to fill voids in carvings and turnings. I used some a few years ago in the Hook Custom for the signature and thumb markers. It's fairly easy ro use and polishes up nicely.

SR

This inlace stuff has got me really excited about future projects, I'm just picturing all the stuff I could use the different colors and variations for. I ordered the white 3 days ago so I'm hoping it gets here relativily soon and works well.

The top wood is from oregon wild wood, I cant brag enough about the wood they sell. They have some really amazing tops and their prices are not unreasonable at all. Definitly check them out if you have yet to do so!

Stay tuned guys more pics coming soon!

Kind of. It was a coarse sparkle under resin sheet rather than the pouring stuff here. I was just reminded of it.

That can be done with this, I would think. You could pour a thin layer of resin into the bottom of the cavity, then a layer of the sparkle flake, then another layer of resin. Or did they inlay sheets of the sparkle/resin that had been made before hand?

SR

• 3 weeks later...

I always drooled over Drak's tops and finishes, they are really beautiful. Is he still around? I dont think I have seen any work from him in a long time.

I originally planned to use white plastic for the electronics cover but then I realized i had plenty of curly redwood left over to make a nicer cover.

DSC00409.jpg

Sanded flush

DSC00410.jpg

Headstock plate

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00422.jpg