The Anchor

this build is just TOO good. You have taken the inlay as far as it can get while still looking clean and avoiding gaudiness, good job on that. cant wait to see the final product. if i had to say one thing, all of your woods go together really well except the neck wood. maybe that will change once you get a finish on it?

Thank you! The neck wood is walnut to match the body of the anchor and the truss cover. I think it looks a little lighter because it was freshly sanded but I am hoping it will be a decent amount darker once it gets a finish on it. If I remember ill hit it with some naptha later and take a pic of it wet vs dry.

I made a simple template for the neck pocket that gave me not only the correct fit but the 3 degree angle I needed.

Start by marking a line that is 3 degrees or what ever angle your going for on a piece of scrap then cut and sand it straight as you can.

DSC00529_zps6aa8559c.jpg

Once you have your angled edge take another piece of scrap wood and place it against that side. Then you can run the opposite edge, the straight one, along a fence and the saw will transfer the 3 degree angle to the piece of wood. I just held the wood against the template but it might but a good idea to use double sided tape to keep it in place while you cut.

DSC00530_zps3f83bb14.jpg

DSC00531_zps011132db.jpg

Once you have two angled pieces you can double sided tape them to your neck pocket template and make your cut

DSC00532_zps20e155e3.jpg

DSC00533_zpsd2415c26.jpg

DSC00534_zps8bf35c18.jpg

DSC00536_zps7e47fc1e.jpg

This might be common sense but I had trouble figuring out how to make this cut when I first started so hopefully this will help some of the newer builders.

• Like 1

Ive been looking for away to get my logo onto the headstock and I finally ended up ordering this Dass sauce stuff and I'm pretty happy with the results. Heres the test run:

You mix the concentrate with alcohol and let it sit for 4 hours, then you have the transfer solution that will take an image printed, by your standard printer, from the transparency to another surface

DSC00557.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

I think this will be where I will put it

DSC00566.jpg

I forgot my camera at home last night so I dont have pics of the actual fretting but heres the end results.

DSC00571.jpg

30 degree bevel

DSC00572.jpg

Taped up to protect the board while polishing

DSC00575.jpg

I brought each fret up from 400 to 12000 to get that mirror shine. Each one took about two and a half minutes.

DSC00584.jpg

Heres a comparison between a fret at 400 and one at 12000

DSC00582.jpg

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00591.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sent the guitar to the shop to be cleared today hopefully Ill have it back within a few days. I'm just gonna leave you guys with a little teaser now. I put some naptha on to show what the woods should look like with a finish. These will be the last pics of the guitar until its complete.

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

When I make a new jig or come across one that works really well for me I like to show it off with the hopes that it can help someone else who might be having the same difficulties as me. Up until now I have been cutting the fret board tapper free hand and spending a lot of time sanding it to get it perfectly straight. Today I made this

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00631.jpg

Its a board with two hold down clamps from rockler and a rail on the bottom that guides it through the saw blade. Its zero clearance so what ever you line up with the edge of the platform will be cut. You simply mark your fretboard taper, line it up on the platform, clamp, and cut. Cuts a perfect taper every time in seconds.

DSC00629.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into a slight problem today. I got the guitar back from being cleared and as I was putting the hardware on I realized the pickups don't fit at all. I used a template for a humbucker without a cover and since these have the nickle covers they don't fit. I now have to make the cavities bigger which is not that hard but I'm going to be freaking out trying not to mess up the finish. I'm going to tackle this tomorrow and hopefully not ruin everything, wish me luck!

Hey guys I'm running late for work but I took a few quick pictures, so here she is all strung up!

DSC00655_zps9bf0209d.jpg

DSC00652_zpscc25cf78.jpg

DSC00651_zps74214afd.jpg

It plays and sounds fantastic even before I gave it a proper set up! I'm very happy with it and almost sad to give it away haha.

Ill post the other pics I have that led up to the finished product tomorrow and a friend of mine will be taking profession pictures within the next few days. I will also try a get one of my friends who can actually play guitar well to do a demo for me so you guys can hear it for yourself.