6 And 7 String Finished Guitars

I tried to get my old account working but it's tied to an email address that I dont' have anymore so i couldn't reset the password.

Anyways! Here's what I've been doing in the last few months!

7 string

figured european ash body and headstock cover

figured roasted maple neck with zirocote stringers

zirocote fretboard

25 frets, 26 inch scale

half scallops from 12-25

Nordstrand pickups

Hipshot hardware

Asymettrical neck carve with offset heel

P1040676.jpg

P1040682.jpg

P1040678.jpg

P1040687.jpg

P1040686.jpg

These are all three beautiful builds--excelent craftsmanship and wood choices. I'm very impressed with the figure in the ash; I'm not sure I've ever seen that much in ash.

BTW I think Alesander was referring to the location of the adjustable poles in the BK neck pup. We're used to see those on the neck side of the neck pup. These are on the bridge side. Is that typical of this model of BK pups?

SR

These are all three beautiful builds--excelent craftsmanship and wood choices. I'm very impressed with the figure in the ash; I'm not sure I've ever seen that much in ash.

BTW I think Alesander was referring to the location of the adjustable poles in the BK neck pup. We're used to see those on the neck side of the neck pup. These are on the bridge side. Is that typical of this model of BK pups?

SR

I'm really in love with that ash - unfortuantely teh supplier has run out and I've only got 3 more blanks of it. It's so nice.

With the BK - i asked them about it as the poles were from what I could tell on the wrong side, but they're saying it's all good like that.

Pan - yep - it's a nice cut of cocobolo. I've got about 100 board feet of cocobolo at my place now with varying amounts of sapwood and heartwood. I love the stuff.

That is the end the exposed pieces are supposed to be on.The reason is that they are adjustable and if your pickups were mounted level and your guitar had a neck angle(like happens on most guitars),the adjustable poles could be screwed out towards the strings on that side to match the neck angle.This is commonly needed on SGs because the pick guard holds the pickups level but the neck is severely angled.On my Gibson SG this is the case,and it sounds very weak at the bridge without the adjustable poles screwed out.

I am sure you know but the nonadjustable poles are below the cover...just info for anyone reading this that might not know

By the way,on pickups with no covers screwing out the pole pieces looks ugly,but on a pickup with a cover like those where the screws are set down below the cover you can screw them out quite a bit before it even becomes noticeable.You can take a bit of clear silicon(caulk at the hardware store),take the screws out,dab a bit of silicon in the hole,then install the screw to the necessary height and wipe off the squeeze out...then let dry.Looks completely natural and the pickup will have the proper magnetic spread or whatever you want to call it...

That is the end the exposed pieces are supposed to be on.The reason is that they are adjustable and if your pickups were mounted level and your guitar had a neck angle(like happens on most guitars),the adjustable poles could be screwed out towards the strings on that side to match the neck angle.This is commonly needed on SGs because the pick guard holds the pickups level but the neck is severely angled

That makes perfect sense. Now I've got to wonder why so many are not that way?

SR

Wow these all look great! I LOVE the black one :) We scallop our frets the same way :) from 12 on up. I've been doing it since I was barely starting to play and started customizing my bc riches and ibanez Rgs hahaha :-P Could we get more pics on the black and maybe some sound clips? I think the next pickups I wanted were bare knuckles. It'd be nice to hear them

Hi guys!

The BK's oddly came with the poles on the neck humbucker closer to the bridge. I asked BK - they said thats how they're supposed to be....very strange.

Pros - thanks for hooking me up on that account! :D

This ash is pretty heavy, but since i use really thin bodies, it ends up being a pretty lightweight guitar. I don't have any soundclips of the guitars right now as I dont' even have a recording setup. I think the last time I sat down to actually PLAY a guitar has been over a year now. :(

I should have another 3 or 4 guitars up for pics within the next 3 weeks. Need to order a pile of pickups and do WAY too much fretting.

The black one is finished with a polyurethane clear coat over a black dye. The other two are finished with a few coats of tung oil followed by a coating of Monocoat. Turns out pretty awesome.

Edited by canuckbrian

No worries Brian. I look forward to seeing what you've been up to in the last what...2-3 years?

I can't agree more about the thin bodied instrument thing. My perennial favourite guitar is my Ibanez Sabre for which I made a 7-string sister plus my next couple of bass projects will be relatively slender also. I've been concentrating on making the basics of the instrument solid and well made which is where I think the sound comes from. Good material choices put together well.

How's the balance on the Ash bodied instrument what with the tuner equivalent of neutron stars, Sperzels being on there?

All the tuners i use are the Hipshot ultralights - these 3 have a decent balance with no neck dive, but i had a client order a black limba body with a ash top in with the super thin body style i have (1.25 inches thick) witha maple neck and a reverse inline headstock. Kinda worried about the diving. :(

The Saber is pretty much my favorite guitar of all time. I almost got picked up the one particular model I've been after for years - HSS equipped, jet black with a low pro edge. Eventually i'll start getting Floyd guitars happening, but right now it's just these guys.