New To Forum, First Paint Job On A Strat

birch

I wish I had found this site before I did this paint job on my friends junkyard find Mexican Strat. I used epoxy primer to fix all the dents in the body and seal it for the metallic lacquer base. The artwork was done with Createx Wicked paints followed by several coats of lacquer clear. It is far from perfect, as I didn't use enough clear to completely flatten the surface before the final polish. There are many things I will do differently on the next project after browsing through the amazing tutorials on this site.

photobucket-76677-1356569998061.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the board!

Totally! I first saw the bubbles and thought it was a WEIRD paint reaction, then noticed the turtle. :D

How was the stippled look achieved on the green near the arm contour? Is that the way the metallic green looks straight out or is it an applied effect? Looking forward to seeing your other works.

Thanks. The green near the horns is the base colour, a metallic yellow green. The ripple effect was sprayed through flocking, commonly used for making quilts, withe a combination of candy, pearl, and opaque greens, yellos and white. The bubbles were sprayed the a bubble template, and the turtle was freehand with the airbrush and drybrush.

Judging by the level of expertise I've seen in just the few build threads I've had time to look at so far,there is so much I need to learn... So glad to have found this site, you guys do some incredible work.

I love it.

By the way,I am glad to see you painted the neck pocket.Those guitars are made with a little extra room in the pocket for paint,so without the paint there is a small gap.I don't buy the whole tone voodoo argument about wood to wood contact because I think it is more important to have the wood completely sealed and protected than it is to have the wood touch wood...especially considering most famous blues albums were recorded with a standard strat with paint in the pocket

I recently built my first bolt on from scratch(I always did set necks and neck through) and it busted a lot of myths for me,since I put a super thick polyurethane finish on it(including the neck pocket) and a standard four bolt pattern on the neck heel,and the guitar sounded better than anything I have built to date..so much so in fact that I let the guy who owns it now try 5 different guitars and he still took the bolt on because it was so nice tonally...all of the others were different types of set neck guitars.

• 4 weeks later...

@prostheta: really? Anytime I've seen projects in there I've considered them cheats. Maybe there should be a sub GOTM for projects to keep them seperate from the full builds. Might help motivate a few of the younger members to enter their mod/refurb guitars as they won't feel as intimidated going up against the likes of multiple winners like andyt and shad peters and the likes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm happy it turned out so well. I would definitely put it up in a project gotm, but I have to agree that the full builds going on here are in a league of their own. The past gotm winners I've looked at so far are incredible.

I'm hoping to try a full build this year, but for now I'll be limited to hot rodding factory guitars.