Because I'm A Sick Sob....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

y'all might be missing the point.....

I'm wanting to do something completely over the top.

I think we all knew that, but it isn't as much fun... I think you have established yourself as a very interesting and good inlay/scroll saw artist that most of us is a bit surprised that you ask for inspiration at all, at least I am.

Doing the work is the easy/fun part for me. Getting the spark of inspiration is the hard part. The native American themes have merit....

In other news, the headstock is all built up, wings glued on, and truss rod channel routed. Next up is to thickness and rout the headstock, thickness the neck, then taper the neck. There's a chance I might get it done tomorrow. Maybe not. We'll see. Pics to come.

That's a fantastic idea, and I'll put it on the shelf for later. Maggotbrain gave me the click I needed. Thanks!

220px-En-chief-sitting-bull.jpg

Sitting Bull will adorn a significant portion of the lower fretboard. Frets 5, 7, and 9 will have the sun symbol, thunderbird, and a buffalo skull.

Rockler and Woodcraft both sell turning blanks of various dye-infused and synthetic materials. I'll be looking into them for possible colored materials.

I'll soon be getting a book on the life of Sitting Bull. I don't want to do him a dishonor by using symbols he would not have been associsted with. AND.... doing an image of him makes me want to learn about him.

wip01_zps398b78d8.jpg

wip02_zps57a0b50c.jpg

wip03_zpsfb1e3b19.jpg

wip04_zps1fc4e7a0.jpg

I had a little chipour on the headstock. I was expecting it, what with all of the points and routing into the grain. It's nothing that isn't easily fixed.

I switched into an early shift today so I could work on this and pick up a few things. Like some acrylic pen turning blanks. I can fillet off 1/8" pieces for inlay work. giggidy

wip06_zps72d3a693.jpg

bevels routed & extended

neck shaped

heel contoured

wip07_zps03c1cc48.jpg

tell me that won't be a smooth-playing heel

wip08_zps1363bee4.jpg

There definitely are differences, there's the older USA handmade (correct) shape which is the best looking one, then the bass shape looks like its been squeezed and squished and gone fat, then there's the Chinese shape that looks like a cheap piece of shite, which is a bit smaller and changes all the angles lines which is all the modern ones. Then several variations of the shite shape.

When someone says they're going to build a warlock I'd instantly assume they'd use the USA shape, but...

I just had another look at your pics, just looks like you've copied the import shape, at least its not the fat, squished bass shape! You're lucky it's not one of the uglier really messed up import shapes, it at least retains a bit of integrity

Don't stress, unless someone is a massive BCR fan they'll never know

I remember when i bought my first warlock, back in 2000. It was a bronze series warlock, not a bad guitar for what i paid, but i had been watching Sepultura's 3rd world chaos DVD and i remember seeing Max Cavalera's guitar and thought " Mine doesn't look like his at all...!"

That's when i said i HAD to modify it.

My first Warlock was a class axe plywood one. Black with the black painted neck, so it was probably a 87 build and I got it second hand in 1990. I thought it was the best guitar ever. I'm glad I grew up!

It was Poison for me back then that made me want the warlock.

Before that I had a neckthru Japanese Canora. Way better guitar than the plywood warlock, but I didn't see it that way as a teenager!

wip09_zps114cfa31.jpg

wip10_zpsdaee4aaa.jpg

I think I'm finally ready to start the serious finishing prep.

There is no recess for the cavity cover because it's not going to be flush. With the body this thin, I need to conserve space whenerer and wherever I can.

I'm doing something pretty ballsy this time. I'm not gluing on the fretboard until the body is finished being sprayed. It'll most likely blow up in my face, but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm looking around for automotive turquoise & clear coat. The clear is easy; turquoise not so much. Rockler & Woodcraft don't carry w/b lacquer in the store, and I don't want to mail-order if I don't have to. Which means I'll end up having to, but not until I frustrate myself scouring the area for something that prolly doesn't exist.