Because I'm A Sick Sob....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 1/8" thick, you have to be careful with them. Not any chipping, but they WILL break as easily as 1/8" wood. The good side is I don't have to worry about them breaking on the grain like wood will when it's that thin.

The learning curve for them wasn't too steep. The big thing I had to figure out, and this was deduced quickly, is to keep the speed of the saw low. Faster speeds generate friction, in turn heat, in turn melting the pieces back together behind the blade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So.

Absolutely -ZERO- aspects of the finishing techniques have worked out in any manner that even the most inexperienced novice migit vaguely consider successful. I've sanded it all off so many times I'm concerned about damaging the previous body work and level0ness of the entire thing.

I believe the best thing to do right now is to blow up the body and start over. The old one is no more. I'll be continuing with the fretboard as-is, but the body/neck will be re-made.

Then again, I have a basswood body "base" already routed to my Avenger shape for a project I have lost interest in. Maybe it's time to see how basswood takes a transparent finish. And the same experimenting with some birdseye maple veneer.....

It's happened to all of us. Painting takes as long to learn as what building the guitar does. It's an artform of its own and I reckon everyone here that has built lots of guitars has had to sand back at least one.

I know I've probably had to sand back at least a dozen due to some sort of error, be it trial and error fails or my human error fails.

The more you've painted though the better you'll get

So what I have in this tinted w/b poly is basically NOTHING like I had with the stuff I tinted myself a couple of years ago. The pigment in this one is pretty dense. After 3-4 coats, anything interesting in the grain is just gone, so using a figured wood or veneer is just plain pointless.

After letting it sit for a couple of days and thinking about it, I'm probably jumping on the abandoned project body just to be able to keep going with this theme instead of doing what I REALLY want to do, which is a turquoise superthin warlock.

I think it's time to cool the engines, get some more lumber, and start completely from scratch.

Does anyone want the old body/neck? You can have it for the cost of lumber and shipping. PM me if ya wanna try and salvage it.

I remember that well. I also remember being a novice and wanting to have a crack at one ov the veteran's rejects.

BUT.....

I could justify a bonfire by saying that you bought it with some pups. It'd be yours to do what you please with. The pups would be worth way more than the guitar as-is, so the extra would be my commission price to torch it and post a video.

Ball's in your court. B)