First Acoustic. Not exactly a guitar...

21 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

Got through my robot combat event and got back to working on the mandola.

Sanded the runs out of the back and sides and need to put on a really thinned out coat of Tru Oil and see if that will be enough to call it good.

Then I sanded the top and the front of the headstock from 2400 through 12000 micro mesh then polished with 3M Finesse It and Meguires Mirror Glaze. It's not perfect, but I think it looks pretty good. It has a nice shine, but it still manages to look thin, showing just a tiny bit of the grain through. And that's pretty much what I was going for.

PXL_20210204_025238276.thumb.jpg.8f83994f8a8e28a3461e6cbebf515d6d.jpgPXL_20210204_025310427.thumb.jpg.3f4329ca7705892ff69e7ae03bc0c75f.jpg

So, get a thinned coat on the rest of the instrument, wax, attach the pickguard, re-assemble, and call it finished...

lovely stuff!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Really, really, really hoping that this was the final coat of Tru Oil for the back and sides. I am extremely ready to get this thing finished and move on!

I thinned the Tru Oil down even more with naptha than I often do, trying to get really nice flow out and hope it smooths itself. I was about 1/3 oil to 2/3 naptha on this coat. Don't need a thick coat here, just need to get the sheen even everywhere.

PXL_20210206_192718183.thumb.jpg.2b058430dfe4f844670853eb12d53a58.jpgPXL_20210206_192732311.thumb.jpg.6eb7898d5f0f4caf53c42fa32bd0643b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

I still have to put the last coat of Tru Oil on the neck and get that and the back and sides rubbed out before I can mount this, but I decided to go ahead and get the pickguard/finger rest ready to be mounted. I went back and forth several times about how I wanted to attach it over the course of the build, and I've ended upgoing with a very traditional mandolin method. I glued a scrap piece of ebony to the back side. The leading edge of the ebony is actually sanded at several degrees of angle so that the finger rest will slope down slightly away from the strings. I glued a couple of pieces of 16 gauge steel wire into holes in the ebony, and once the neck finish is complete I will drill some corresponding holes into the fretboard extension.

I also changed the shape of this thing multiple times since I started the build, and I'm finally happy with how it matches the aesthetics of the body shape.

PXL_20210208_035628596.thumb.jpg.1067c5ce29a8abbd6168c7bfeb0461c6.jpg

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MiloszM said:

sorry, Just wanted to ask you if you tried Grasshopper pluggin for rhino?

It s a gereat soft for parametric desugn. People are designing buildings in it so maybe a guitarr>>?

Yes I also use Grasshopper as well as other plugins, I have upgraded to Rhino 7 so I also now will be using sub-d.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:05 PM, MiKro said:

Yes I also use Grasshopper as well as other plugins, I have upgraded to Rhino 7 so I also now will be using sub-d.

Sub-d? something new going on in rhino. Great!

I tried grasshoper twice but my brain got overheated.

You are making great guitar shapes - balanced, thoughtful, personal

1 hour ago, MiloszM said:

Sub-d? something new going on in rhino. Great!

I tried grasshoper twice but my brain got overheated.

You are making great guitar shapes - balanced, thoughtful, personal

Sub-D is like T splines but on steroids. It is actually in R6 latest version, sort of watered down and hidden. you can access it by using the subd command in the command line in R6

mk

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 12:15 AM, MiKro said:

Sub-D is like T splines but on steroids. It is actually in R6 latest version, sort of watered down and hidden. you can access it by using the subd command in the command line in R6

mk

Thanks for reminding me about this soft! I will try that sub-d. just installed rhino7. last time got stucked with grasshopper. This is too good. I heard its got some CAM addons as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MiloszM said:

Thanks for reminding me about this soft! I will try that sub-d. just installed rhino7. last time got stucked with grasshopper. This is too good. I heard its got some CAM addons as well.

Yes the CAM is expensive though, but very good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MiloszM said:

I will export it into fusion and do it there then. Where are you caming?

I have RhinoCAM6 still, as well as Aspire so I am good with it. :)

I can use Fusion 360 if I need to but I really see no use in that product as it is Online based and now has limits for the free version. Yep all of those that went that way are going to be squeezed into a month to month at some point. Typical AutoCAD product.

mk

• Like 1

No glamor shots yet, but I got her waxed and buffed, pick guard mounted, and everything reassembled. I'll let her settle in and see how the setup is and see if I need to tweak it. 

I had a couple of screw ups assembling, so it was a frustrating night, but I guess I should just count it as 'vintage character' since I was going for that feel anyway... 

PXL_20210224_034545560.thumb.jpg.e9064c6e823ae8ae2f1ba3caf61d954b.jpg

PXL_20210224_034532605.thumb.jpg.facabeca113a4bb0605df96d87d9c173.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

No glamor shots yet, but I got her waxed and buffed, pick guard mounted, and everything reassembled. I'll let her settle in and see how the setup is and see if I need to tweak it. 

I had a couple of screw ups assembling, so it was a frustrating night, but I guess I should just count it as 'vintage character' since I was going for that feel anyway... 

PXL_20210224_034545560.thumb.jpg.e9064c6e823ae8ae2f1ba3caf61d954b.jpg

PXL_20210224_034532605.thumb.jpg.facabeca113a4bb0605df96d87d9c173.jpg

That is simply delightful... :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...