G-2

7 hours ago, komodo said:

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I love it and I'm thinking of getting it as a tattoo.

I will never ever obtain the workman skills you took possesaion of regarding your cthulhu

let me clean your shoes when we regress to the stone age.

I am dead with my cnc right now. I have a Wd40 plan for tomorrow - cleaning the chains&screws.

It should work. otherwise I will fold pens&sharpen pencils for the rest of my life

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I admit when I saw the first renderings of this I comment something like "Wow, this is an amazing design!" but was definitely  thinking "we'll never see this in reality"  --- well, thanks for proving me wrong. Mind blowing and its not even complete!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MiloszM said:

I have some tru oil to put on that but i've read somevere it is good to put diluted shellac before.I s tha t a good idea? pleas ehelp!

Shellac is a good sealer and inter-coat layer because pretty much everything sticks to it.

You do not need it with Tru-oil, unless you want to block the Tru-oil from penetrating into the wood. If you start with a coat or two of shellac, the Tru-oil will sit on top of it and start building up a film faster.

SR

• Thanks 1

There's pros and cons with shellac before TruOil. If you want the oil to go deep into the wood for a thoroughly oiled look, shellac would prevent that. Then again, as @ScottR said, a layer of shellac will make the film buildup faster.

As shellac works with almost any finish, I suppose you could get the best of both worlds by applying TruOil first (maybe thinned for better penetration?), then seal the surface with shellac and continue with TruOil for a protective film. CAUTION: This was purely based on my logical pondering so if you take this route test it properly on scrap pieces! Also, if anyone knows for sure this was utterly BS please chime in and I'll wipe it off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

There's pros and cons with shellac before TruOil. If you want the oil to go deep into the wood for a thoroughly oiled look, shellac would prevent that. Then again, as @ScottR said, a layer of shellac will make the film buildup faster.

As shellac works with almost any finish, I suppose you could get the best of both worlds by applying TruOil first (maybe thinned for better penetration?), then seal the surface with shellac and continue with TruOil for a protective film. CAUTION: This was purely based on my logical pondering so if you take this route test it properly on scrap pieces! Also, if anyone knows for sure this was utterly BS please chime in and I'll wipe it off.

Check out Matt's finish. Tru-oil over shellac.

SR

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Check out Matt's finish. Tru-oil over shellac.

I know that and the looks doesn't seem to be what I've understood a purely TruOil finish would look like. It's perfect as such, there's no arguing about that. Perfect but maybe different. It's hard to tell without testing the various methods on the same piece of wood. Would numerous layers of plain TruOil only be much darker as it has a hue to it, would the hue of shellac make much of a difference under or between layers of oil? Logic tells me that @mattharris75's method might give the brightest result compared to the levelness of the finish but I may be wrong.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Perfect but maybe different

Yes. Matt used a thinned down shellac--I expect it was blond, and that kept the tru-oil from darkening the wood as much as a purely Tru-oil finish. Also, he was/is pursuing an almost antique look so he is trying to keep everything thin. But it is a good example of what Tru-oil over shellac looks like, which is at least half of what I wanted to convey.

SR

• Thanks 1

Yepp, TruOil only is a fully valid method. And since you've already stained it pretty dark the lighter shade of shellac as a base might not make a big difference. It's most likely going to be dark with some shinier stripes - and it reminds me I'll have to go to the library and try to find the next unread Witcher!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Yepp, TruOil only is a fully valid method. And since you've already stained it pretty dark the lighter shade of shellac as a base might not make a big difference. It's most likely going to be dark with some shinier stripes - and it reminds me I'll have to go to the library and try to find the next unread Witcher!

I applied 2 layers of tru-oil and am amazed. It gets darker and gives it lots of depth. I was regreting using sandpaper as applier cause it wiped of dark stain with the oil on the edges. There is too much going on. Different shades of stain, messy pigments in resin, i hope when i buid up the shiny tru-oil coating it will cover this mess.

PS.

Old polish adaptation of Witcher 2002. When it was comming out everybody wass lauging. Now.. after seeing the N. version it i should be nominated for oscar :)