Sibling Rivalry

ScottR

On 4/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, komodo said:

When you think you are done, and you say "there, done."  . . .That's a good start.

You shamed me a bit this weekend. I had been at that point....then thought of this comment and decided to spend the better part of a day finessing the scroll. I'm I'm probably the only one that will even notice what I did.

I like it better now.

Then I sanded it to 400.

DSC02935.JPGDSC02937.JPG

And then started the dye regimen.

DSC02938.JPG

I took a page from @killemall8's book and mixed the dye with acetone, and then wiped it back with acetone.

The back is dyed purely to darken the pores.

DSC02940.JPG

Partially sanded back....

DSC02941.JPGDSC02942.JPGDSC02944.JPG

SR

• Like 4

Thanks Luis!

I tested the acetone method enough on scrap between builds to know I like it. It acts a lot like mixing with alcohol, but only more aggressive. It dries faster and the wipe back takes more dye back out. I'm tying that in with my sandback method, but less sanding is involved and the amount of contrast created is especially nice.

SR

11 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thanks Luis!

I tested the acetone method enough on scrap between builds to know I like it. It acts a lot like mixing with alcohol, but only more aggressive. It dries faster and the wipe back takes more dye back out. I'm tying that in with my sandback method, but less sanding is involved and the amount of contrast created is especially nice.

SR

Awesome. thats the main reason i use it. The wipe back leaves it so clean on the grain you would sand back anyway.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:14 PM, komodo said:

Come back to it again and "sand it like Scott would".

That's one of the reasons my builds take so long. If I'd never seen a Scott guitar, my rate of production would be so much higher. But when you see perfection, how can you not try to emulate? :D

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 5:14 PM, komodo said:

Come back to it again and "sand it like Scott would".

That's one of the reasons my builds take so long. If I'd never seen a Scott guitar, my rate of production would be so much higher. But when you see perfection, how can you not try to emulate? :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Norris said:

HAVE MERCY!:D

Being in Texas, I do have my boots on.....

In all honesty I do believe you go further for perfection than I do. I just make mine good enough for me.

And on another note entirely, I miss Benny HIll too.

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Norris said:

All of a sudden it's gone 3 dimensional. Like a satellite view of a desert 

My son said I know you make smooth guitars, but that looks like if I touched it my finger would go up and down over all the little hills and valleys.

SR

• Like 1

That is a thing of beauty. Just kinda speechless looking over all of the curves. And look at that finished scrap piece at the end...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

And sand back.

The result makes me want to get the best quality abrasives and build the ultimate sanding blocks - and attack every wooden surface in the house!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, killemall8 said:

That is such a great piece of burl. How thick was it to start with?
Crazy how every application of dye, that piece looks completely different!

That burl started at two inches thick, and I cut about a half inch off of it, so the top after flattening was about an inch and three eighths thick.

All those dye applications going dark to light and started each sand back with a finer grade creates  mid-tones which enhance the third dimension illusion. The satellite shot of the desert looks posterized compared to its current state.

SR

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

The result makes me want to get the best quality abrasives and build the ultimate sanding blocks - and attack every wooden surface in the house!

You are getting bored aren't you. The sanding block I use the most for these curves started as one of those dense foam blocks that come with micromesh. I glued an .020" polycarbonate (plastic) sheet to one side. That gives it a hard flat surface that can still conform itself to the curves.....most of them anyway. A cut down foam block is used for the tighter stuff.

SR

9 hours ago, komodo said:

That is a thing of beauty. Just kinda speechless looking over all of the curves. And look at that finished scrap piece at the end...

The curves are fun to touch.

:)

The scrap was a dye test that I covered with CA and then polished. So when the question gets asked if you can just use CA for pore filling and then stay with it to use as a finish....the answer is yes.

SR

7 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Makes mental note:  Plan timing of any GOTM carefully, Andyjr1515  :)

What am I saying??  It would be a pleasure to have an entry smooshed into the sawdust by this, @ScottR  :D

Wouldn't it be pretty to think so? For me anyway...:D

But not so fast. Your yew SG looks like it was cut out of a living flame. It is not going to take a back seat to anyone.

And @killemall8. Take any one of the last 25 or 30 he's shared with us and it would go straight to the top of the list.

And throw in @komodo's Black Queen, and she'd reign over us all.

It would be a glorious battle though......more like a beauty pageant.

SR

• Haha 1