Best concert / Worst concert

daveq

What's the best concert you've ever seen?

I remember seing Pink Floyd on their last tour in Detroit. Their sound was perfect! There's nothing about the sound that I would have wanted different. Pefect loudness, clarity was excellent, no glitches, ... It was an experience.

I think the worst stadium concert I've been to was U2. It was several years ago at Giant Stadium (NY). The sound was pretty bad - several cut-outs and feedback issues. The song selection was also pretty bad in my (and the people I was with) opinion. They didn't bother doing an encore - I think they knew it sucked. The whole thing was just way too flashy and pop'ish. I miss the old U2 - but not that much.

Best - Return to Forever Reunion tour, April 1, 1983 at the Palladium in NYC :D.

Worst? I need to think about that.

Edit: Jane's Addiction... around 86/87 at S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook. The band wasn't bad or anything, I just slept through and missed the show B) (I set up staging for them.)

Best- a toss up between G3 with petrucci or ozzfest 98 (it would have been ozzfest totally but i had to sit through limp bizkit and a bunch of other crappy bands, but i did get to see ozzy! megadeth, and motorhead.)

worst- Allman Bros at Alltell Pavillion in 00 it was way too loud and they had lucinda williams opening for them. yuck

I saw Jethro Tull in 1976, I think it was the Bursting Out double live album tour. They always put on a good show. A few years later I saw Uriah Heep, they were horrible. The best elements of the band, singer David Byron and bass player Gary Thain, were not in the picture. Thain was already dead and Byron was out, he later died in 1985.

Best- Dave Brubeck last June. His drummer, at about age 70ish, could play as well, if not better than, Mike Portnoy. He got up on the stage with nothing but the instruments and microphones, compacted in the middle of a huge stage (Eastman Theater), and proceeded to give the best show I've ever seen. I don't care how much pyro you put on a stage, how much production you throw into that, no show (of any form) will ever top what came out of those four guys that night.

Worst- One year I got dragged to a Christian-rock festival. Some of the bands were good, but on the other hand, some weren't so good.

The best was Zepplin in '75 in SanDiego. They played for 4 hours. The worst would have to be Queen in '76-77. Technically incredible, sound perfect, Night at the Opera was the show. Only problem that was all they played, no encore, nothing from there earlier albums. Lick for lick with the album, but only 45 minutes long and the tickets were $20.00 and unheard of at that time.

best - cole harbour coffee house. im too big a fan of small intimate local bands playing to the taste of good coffee to say its NOT my favorite.

worst - well, i dont think ive ever been to a truely great or terrible concert, but over the summer i went to see def leppard. a string broke on the bass.. thats all i can complane about.. other than the fact that i only saw the end of a like 9 girl flash. it was so noticable that the singer got stunned and paused a second lol.

worst...mettalica,promoting the black album(worst moment...the "mettalimedley" :D )

"mettalimedley"

That makes me imagine Metallica, when they're old in their sixties, playing in Las Vegas or worse... Branson, Missouri! B)

it is a compilation of pieces of like 10 songs,played back to back,in a way that does not flow musically in the least

Worst : VanHagar, I guess around 1987 in St.Louis. They were there for 3 nights. On the night I was there, Sammy says " we're here for 3 nights, so tonight we're just going to have fun" .

Turns out that 'fun' means SUCK in the hagar dictionary.

Even getting to almost the front of the crowd didn't make it any better. Our tickets said 'row 21' but we were able to rub off the 2.

Best: Iron Maiden in '85 at 'Cow Palace' in frisco.

They really put effort into playing how they should

(I can sing 'aces high' almost dead-on to how dickenson sings it, except the really high note)

Middle ? :

Legacy ??(later called Testament ?) at 'the farm' in Frisco around 87-88. That place was insane. An old house with a wood floor and a stage at one end. people constantly running up on stage and jumping off into the audience. Sometimes the audience would just move out of the way and the diver would go right to the floor.

There seemed to be 3 skin-head "backup" singers all the time on stage.

Well, there were a bunch of thrash bands that sounded like crap, but this one , legacy? , put effort into what they were doing. And since the lead guitarist was actually good, the thrash crowd shut him up fast by pulling the cord out of his guitar.

Oh, I just remembered, worst I ever seen, and I really hate to say it, was Johnny Winter at Legends here in Victoria, Tuesday, April 17/2001. It was a really sad sight to see. However, in Johnny's defense, his father died earlier that year and he was recovering from a broken hip from a month before. He had to be helped out on stage, was wearing sweat pants and could very well have had some "depens" on underneath, I dunno. I'm assuming he was boosted up on pain killers and he didn't stray from the usual song lineup. Every time his cue came for a solo he fumbled around and kept it simple, none of the finger blistering solos he was known for in his heyday. His main axe was the headless Erlewine lazer and when playing some slide he would switch to his trusty Gibson Explorer. He had some problems when he switched guitars, his hair was caught under the strap and he couldn't get it straight, someone had to come help him out.

I got nothing against Johnny W., hes my ALLTIME favorite blues guitar player. He is a real trooper and still touring. If you get a chance to see him, then take advantage of it, you might catch him on a good night and have your mind blown. Either way, you can still say that you saw Johnny Winter in person, the man is still a legend IMO. If you've never heard him play check out Johnny Winter - Captured Live, one of my favorites.

I can remember an interviewer asked him what was the most popular question he was ever asked by fans... "Wheres your brother?" :D

The best for me I would have to say was YES back in 78 down in Hollywood, Fl where everyone had a back stage pass since the sound stage was a circle in the middle of the concert hall and rotated around. Amazing laser light show and incredible sound.

The worst wasn't even the players fault I think but I would have to say Steve Vai in St.Pete back in 98 when he had to stop the show mid song twice because of technical problem's. I did enjoy the show and having an amp blow once during a show is rare but acceptable but he had it happen twice and fired back up where they left off in the tune's.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
Best- Dave Brubeck last June. His drummer, at about age 70ish, could play as well, if not better than, Mike Portnoy. He got up on the stage with nothing but the instruments and microphones, compacted in the middle of a huge stage (Eastman Theater), and proceeded to give the best show I've ever seen. I don't care how much pyro you put on a stage, how much production you throw into that, no show (of any form) will ever top what came out of those four guys that night.

Worst- One year I got dragged to a Christian-rock festival. Some of the bands were good, but on the other hand, some weren't so good.

Let me guess...Creation West?

Yeah, I went in 01.

Some bands were good, IE tobymac, Phil Keaggy, Supertones, Hangnail. Audio A was good, but I couldnt friggin breathe.

The rest was a typical corny Christian rock gig. Hence, I didnt go again. Cool people tho.

But then I dont listen to much Christan music cuz most of it is kinda corny anyway. I have a few friends that rag me for it...saying that secular music will corrupt me.

Best was prolly Page/Plant in Tacoma 95. Dont remember much. Most pot smoke concentrated into one area ever. Also Sown on New Years was good. And if videos count...KISS alive IV or Cobo Hall 75.

Best- Dave Brubeck last June.  His drummer, at about age 70ish, could play as well, if not better than, Mike Portnoy.  He got up on the stage with nothing but the instruments and microphones, compacted in the middle of a huge stage (Eastman Theater), and proceeded to give the best show I've ever seen.  I don't care how much pyro you put on a stage, how much production you throw into that, no show (of any form) will ever top what came out of those four guys that night.

Worst- One year I got dragged to a Christian-rock festival.  Some of the bands were good, but on the other hand, some weren't so good.

Let me guess...Creation West?

Yeah, I went in 01.

Kingdom Bound... out at Darien Lake.

Bestest: Tie between Blind Guardian '98 and Dream Theater in 2001, both in Trier, Guardian open air at the Exile and DT in the Messemarkthalle. Guardian was the first real metal concert I attended and it was a perfect hot day, they were playing their asses off, even played my favorite song for the first time live and after the show we got to drink a few beers with the guitarist and the drummer from Vicious Rumours who were opening for Guardian. Dream Theater was just a stray from the normal "metal" concert scene, because during TSCO, people were sitting down on the floor of the hall, although it was packed, people still left you space to breathe and move and they had sound like you were listening to their CD in your living room (especially if you have a room like me, where the only comfortable seat is positioned in the sweet spot of the stereo *lol*).

Worst is a tie between Stratovarius in 2001 and the second time I saw Yngwie, but both times it was less the band's fault. Stratovarius had Rhapsody and Sonata Arctica open for them and I looked forward to Rhapsody a lot, they sucked hard. Their old drummer did...bad sound, bad timing. Sonata were the winners of the evening although they had the first band - bad sound issue, too. Stratovarius were good but the sound guy was a freaking asshole...I'm not a softie when it comes to loud music, but even though I was wearing earplugs, I thought "I need to get out of here or I will die because I can't breathe anymore". Also, after the concert my buddy and I got lost in different parts of Stuttgart because we had some issues with transportation and had to spent the whole night on the train station after we had found each other again, but that's a different story *lol*.

Yngwie in Losheim just sucked because the room was only half full and most of the crowd were just there to mock him...completely not cool. His bass player's solo also sucked ass.

so long

ace

BEST - REM at the Milton Keynes bowl '96 (Monster tour) or the local band I went to see at the weekend, they're called Roughcut and they're amazing. The singer was in the 4 Tops, bassest from The Specials, drummer who didn't open his eyes once during the whole gig and one of the best guitarists that I've heard (and he builds his own!). I prefer watching good pub bands instead of big stadiums ( I need a bar to be happy). Also, The Oyster Band and the original lineup of The Groundhogs.

WORST - Some of the pub bands that I've seen, there really is some twaddle out there.

Hey Southpa - I know why Jethro Tull might have been such a good gig, my mate went to see them a while back and half way through the gig the music that they were mimeing to started to go funky :D

I dont think i could single out the best. Ive been rather lucky, of all bands ive been dying to see, none of them have been hampered by technical problems that would otherwise kill the atmosphere.

Worst band at a concert is probably 'and you will know us by the trail of dead' (of the dead??), supporting Foo Fighters in 2000. Both guitarists managed to break like 4/5 stringd each in a 30minute set!. The bass player broke 2. I dont like their music anyway, but this was a stupidly sloppy performance. Not all the concert was bad, Foo Fighters redeemed the evening, they kicked arse.

Best would be a toss up between Less Than Jake at the Astoria or Placebo at Reading festival.

worst i would probablly say was Bowling for soup on the same day as placebo lol. no matter how hard i tried i could still hear girl all the bad guys want :D