Using a Hannes - change my mind

komodo

Pros? Cons? I've read much, but interested in personal experiences. I don't have to use one, but I'd like to eek out every last bit of performance from my next hard tail build.

Not gonna lie, I'm looking at the same bridge for one of the two builds I'm working on. Only thing possibly holding me back is that it has to be ground on the ferrules and not the bridge itself. We will see, either that or the schaller 3D-6 I used on the last built as well, Love the 3D-6 cause the strings go into the bridge from behind, not trough the body. But yeah, played a guitar with a Hannes, feels comfy, love it. 

Edited by Gogzs
  • Like 1

I would think a ground is a ground no matter where, but electronics are not my best area.

String through the body always seems to be more resonant as it seems to connect the string to the body more directly. But I may just be making that up in my head.

no exp using this bridge so can't contribute much but perhaps you'll convince me.  I get the attraction to coupling the saddle with the wood... it's what attracted me to babicz.  It certainly is an attractive bridge and looks very comfy. 

looking at the tech docs I don't see how it works.  it looks like a saddle rides on another piece of metal that makes contact with the wood?  Not sure why that would promote better coupling? "Your guitar will sound much more harmonious." ok, I want to believe but this kind is pushing me away! 

so, perhaps in convincing me you'll strengthen your need for it...

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

"Your guitar will sound much more harmonious." ok, I want to believe but this kind is pushing me away!

Well, I'm already going to use woods that have scientifically measured tap tone, hand-harvested and air-dried in anechoic chambers.
I tune my guitars to 432Hz - the tuning of the gods that makes hair grow, planets align and kills a rhino at 100 yards.
I'm using strings spun from Krell metal, mined from asteroids.

So the only thing left is the bridge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've used them twice. I don't really buy into the tone enhancement voodoo, but they are a very nice looking and comfy bridge. The two I've got use string blocks instead of individual ferrules and you do have to ground to that, because that is the only place the strings touch metal.The bridge bolts to the body using two through bolts with fairly large nuts. I like that part of the design because I think it has the best grip on a body of any style--bolts versus screws into wood. Between those and the string block you end up with a sort of face looking at you from the back side of the guitar. That is annoying to some, but doesn't really bother me. The one thing I do not like about it is the saddle height adjustment. It is directly below the string path and uses one allen head screw per saddle. So when adjusting the saddle height during set up, you have to loose the string a lot to get it out of the way of your allen wrench, and then tighten it again to see how you did.....rinse and repeat till you are satisfied. It is tempting to only loosen the string enough to bend it out of the way of your allen wrench. Don't give in to temptation....allen wrenches can break strings or windings. Ask me how I know....

SR

47 minutes ago, komodo said:

Well, I'm already going to use woods that have scientifically measured tap tone, hand-harvested and air-dried in anechoic chambers.
I tune my guitars to 432Hz - the tuning of the gods that makes hair grow, planets align and kills a rhino at 100 yards.
I'm using strings spun from Krell metal, mined from asteroids.

So the only thing left is the bridge.

hehe, but..... I want all those things too!  seriously tho... I hope you go fwd w it... you've piqued my interest.  schaller has a pretty rock solid rep so... at the least it's pretty, comfy, and reliable.

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

Ask me how I know....

This is exactly why I posted this. Thanks Scott, huge help much to think about.

I’m open to near anything. I’ve considered the Babicz before, and then there’s the simple Hipshot which are great. I don’t want to overthink it, but wouldn’t mind trying something new.

16 hours ago, komodo said:

I would think a ground is a ground no matter where, but electronics are not my best area.

String through the body always seems to be more resonant as it seems to connect the string to the body more directly. But I may just be making that up in my head.

As @Bizman62 said, depending on what you get, either individual ferrules or string block, that will be the only place where the strings touch the metal, so if you go with ferrules, your ground wire needs to touch all 6 ferrules for proper grounding. 

I'll soon be at the point of deciding on a bridge, and I don't mind the tricky height adjustment, once set up I don't plan to change much so a longer setup in exchange for a comfy bridge, I can live with that. But yeah, the 3D-6 is probably the comfiest bridge I had under my hand, feels insanely awesome when palm muting... ahhh, decisions. 

8 hours ago, komodo said:

I’ve considered the Babicz before

This is my current favorite. Good looking, and good adjustability. Again, I don't know that I buy into the full contact tone voodoo, except for one point. Once the set up and intonation is done there is a side set screw that locks everything together. Rock solid.....and pretty much the opposite philosophy of the Hannes.

SR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gogzs said:

As @Bizman62 said, depending on what you get, either individual ferrules or string block, that will be the only place where the strings touch the metal, so if you go with ferrules, your ground wire needs to touch all 6 ferrules for proper grounding. 

I'll soon be at the point of deciding on a bridge, and I don't mind the tricky height adjustment, once set up I don't plan to change much so a longer setup in exchange for a comfy bridge, I can live with that. But yeah, the 3D-6 is probably the comfiest bridge I had under my hand, feels insanely awesome when palm muting... ahhh, decisions. 

I wondered about that with this bridge given that the saddles are a graph tech mystery material.  I am facing a similar issue (in my head) with my bass as I contemplate a wooden bridge. 

Maybe y'all have thought of this but some things to consider: A) if you are grounded only to one string... not the end of the world... but obviously unless you are touching that string you get the ground hum.  It's actually pretty hard to not touch the high E(at least for me)!  B ) if you use a brass nut... problems solved.  ground is applied to one string and transfered to the others via the brass nut.

54 minutes ago, ScottR said:

This is my current favorite. Good looking, and good adjustability. Again, I don't know that I buy into the full contact tone voodoo, except for one point. Once the set up and intonation is done there is a side set screw that locks everything together. Rock solid.....and pretty much the opposite philosophy of the Hannes.

SR

I hear ya... is a very pretty design and quite functional and well thought out.  I wouldn't say I buy into the tone voodoo either but I'm certain that every little thing helps.  If it's a .00000001% difference... great.  More importantly that bridge is so comfortable, and amazingly stable afa tuning.  I get your point about opposite... and it illuminates something I didn't realize was a selling point for the hannes - stability but complete separation between strings.  That could be cool.  thanks for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Only just spotted this.  I presume you are talking about the non-piezo Hannes, @komodo ?

If you are talking the piezo version, there are a few other considerations I can add (as in 'Yes - I fitted the piezo Hannes and it was OK.  There you see: my psychiatrist TOLD me that with enough therapy I would be able to type that phrase eventually, and with a few more years of careful treatment I may be able to speak it too!' )  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes non piezo. The one thing I really don't like, is all the very bridge specific holes/routes. I'm not sure why it bugs me with this one vs a TOM setup or something, but it does.

2 hours ago, komodo said:

Yes non piezo. The one thing I really don't like, is all the very bridge specific holes/routes. I'm not sure why it bugs me with this one vs a TOM setup or something, but it does.

No - it's different to ToM.  I rate Schaller very, very highly, but...

...this has been designed by someone who has never tried to fit one.  The piezo version is that problem squared, and the accompanying 'Flagship' preamp is that problem cubed!

This is the loom you get with the Flagship preamp.  NOW try to get the control cover closed :lol:

brAwGQrl.jpg

You can see from the other end how many wires are in that cable and the shroud over the rotary switch and cable sheath are high density plastic.  And this is designed to go nowhere else except in a guitar control chamber...:rolleyes:

I had to cut away the shroud completely - no doubt completely invalidating the warranty - to be able to bend all the wires and allow then to come from the rotary switch from the side rather than vertically (which, if anyone had tried to actually fit one in Schaller, they would have got the loom manufacturer to do):

IMG_3562.thumb.JPG.0023f212b4597037eeb8efcd598eb36a.JPG

Great company, but not their finest moment ;)