Post your current project ideas

I know if any or you are like me you have a handful of projects floating around in your heads at this moment. List a few that you have in mind. Go into detail if you'de like. Here are a couple of mine;

-Wards Airline copy ala Jack White

-Gretsch country gent w/ matt black finish, gold hardware, black body binding. Kind of the way Tim Armstrong of Rancids old piece looks.

-Les Paul double cut (Jr.?) w/ single P90

Dreams, dreams.............................

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Vegemite (Les Paul shape finished with the australian flag :D)

Wooden Explorer (planning an explorer with a nice wooden finish)

then again - im new and therefore i suck, so im not going to hold my breath B)

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I am planning an acoustic jem ish guitar, a Lespaul for Tommy thayer, and maybe a tele. I think I want the tele, but dont know if I'd use it. Thinline would be nice.

3 projects that i have buzzing around. two old and one new

the one ive wanted for a while now

neck through Baritone 7 string. some sort of trem on it posablly a floyd. built in heavy distortion circuit (im tempted to take apart my jack hammer and work out the schematics for it so i canhave one of those inside) as well as a sustainer. i realise that you can only get 6 string sustainers which is why i would have it setup so that it was underneath the top 6 strings. id mainlly be using it for crazy screaming feed back so bottom string doesnt need to be effected by it. pickups would be something pretty hot but fairlly smooth with very tight low end, i duno what they could be but hey.

project ive been thinking on as of a couple weeks ago. a neck through semi-hollow body LP double cut away. mahoganny and maple. havnt really though much more into that past the shape and body design

and the most recent one (been thinking bought it as of yesterday when i went to vai.com and saw pictures of EVO) a Jem in pure white styled after evo, tho not actually trying to be a copy. i just realised yesterday how nice that body shape looks with pure white finish

nehu, enjoy

In progress:

Custom bass. Not sure of specs yet.

In future:

Guitars with my version of a PRS body, at least one stained and lacquerd, at least one with a flamed maple drop-top.

More custom basses.

1-piecebody double neck 6/12.

neck through Baritone 7 string. some sort of trem on it posablly a floyd. built in heavy distortion circuit (im tempted to take apart my jack hammer and work out the schematics for it so i canhave one of those inside) as well as a sustainer. i realise that you can only get 6 string sustainers which is why i would have it setup so that it was underneath the top 6 strings. id mainlly be using it for crazy screaming feed back so bottom string doesnt need to be effected by it. pickups would be something pretty hot but fairlly smooth with very tight low end, i duno what they could be but hey.

Thats sounds awesome :D

lol thanks.lemme tell you what i want it to look like and you might just wet urself.

bookmatched quilted maple top but instead of the grain going at a right angle to the middle point (eg going across the guitar) it goes parallell to the midlle line. the finish would be tricky to get looking good but id want a greyish colour but still with the figure showing through nicelly. the top would be flat with white binding around it and on the upper corner where you're forearm would rest there would be a section of a gear inlayed in something like MOP (hope that makes sense, it would be like a quarter of the gear in the top corner) and there would be smaller gear inlays around the pots

the headstock would be gibson styled except the upper and lower edges would be more concave. the tuners would also be arranged in a pyramid shape and there would be an inlay aroundthem to look like a pyramid. in the middle of that would be an eye (this is basically the all seeing eye symbol thats generally linked with the illuminati, all you conspiracy theorists should know this one lol)

there are a few other aesthetic details. at some point ill draw some sketches and put them up. this isnt going to happen for a while tho bear in mind. it would cost a bomb and id want to be very copmpetant with building before i started it

building a neck for the bad to the bone holoflash fernandes brian is working on for me(3 piece mahogany/walnut/mahogany laminate with streaked ebony board)

the neck thru in the pinned area

beast copy(ongoing project..if i ever finish it it will be cool)

will start soon on a 7 string set neck v

and numorous customizations of existing guitars

also i am refinishing my first v

Finishing two "super-strat" neck-through guitars

Finishing the neck-through Dime-Bass for a friend of mine (it's a bass shaped like Washburn Dime guitars)

Making a 6 string neck-through V. (Did I mention I love neck-throughs??)

Making a neck for a strat-like body I own...

Then, this summer:

Making an Explorer guitar for a friend of mine

Making a Warlock bass for another friend...

i am using walnut in my neck atm... works easily, cleans up well, glues well, quite a nice wood, virtually no oils at all, very dry kinda wood.

as for project ideas here they are :

finish my Custom design - 31 fret super strat style design. i have the neck almost totally finished, just to lacquer (31 frets are hell to scallop!) it has a beautiful teak fingerboard with medium fretwire, and reversed headstock which has a teak laminate on both sides for strength and aesthetics. the body has 1 pickup, and i am going to get designing the electronics very soon, gonna be fully active. body made from a very nice pitch pine, great grain. liscensed FR trem and pretty gold hardware. this guitar should be done within 2 months :D it shall be my first totally scratch built guitar, and so shall be called the B-1 (yes thats the bomber B)). i cant wait :D

i wanna make a Bass 34" scale 4 string fretted, neck through. fully active electronics. thats as far as i have thought this out!

also gonna make brother a Dimebag Darrell style guitar - based on the Dean Baby ML i feel. perhaps another neck through.

wanna make a classical, but i dont see this happening :D

cya later

i wanna finish the super nice 4-string fretless im working on, then i wanna make a new neck(compound radius 22 fret) for my squier fat strat and fit some sweet pickups(emg`s?) graphite nut, locking tuners, and new trem. (oh and a tortoise pickguard) :D

thats about it really.

B.C. Rich warlock Black with purple Flames(In progress of building)

Rhoads V That I started 6monts ago then got bored with and didn't finish.(needs to be sprayed and still neeed to get pick ups,etc.)

Explorer (White/glued on neck)

Explorer (Black/glued on neck)

Explorer (Clear coated glued on neck)

explorer (with master of puppets cover on the front and all the rest black. the metallica logo and 'master of puppets' wont be on it.glue on aswell)

Its alot but i'm just going to mass produce the bodies and necks.i'l put parts on one explorer then as i go along(And save!!!)i'l put parts on rest. All going to have emg 81 i think so expensive.

I Love Explorers. have one with a thread plate/diamond plate front Which has being nicknamed the 'exfloorer'.

I tend to get obsessed with one thing at a time, and I usually see it through to completion before I move on to something else. That means that knowing myself, I run the risk of only ever building one guitar every year or so, so I have to pick the right one before I start.... B)

The 5 I'm considering right now, for various reasons:

-Strat from a kit, so that I can at least feel what it's like to assemble a guitar. It would be for my father.

-Schecter 006-style ripoff, but with some sort of natural finish, and neck-through.

-PRS-style guitar. To be honest, I'm moving away from PRS as my dream guitar, but my best friend (without whom I wouldn't even PLAY guitar) is still pecking away on a $100 Mako electric and a $300 Yamaha acoustic. I have a Godin LG, a Yamaha Pacifica, a Yamaha acoustic, and a Guild acoustic. He is 5... no, 10 times the guitarist I am, and I feel he deserves a decent axe. He likes PRS. On the other hand, he's not exactly poor... he makes twice the money I do, so if he wants it badly enough, he can just buy the real deal and make me cry, dammit. :D

-Musicman Axis (in the style of the EVH axe when it was first made) knock-off, which requires less complicated routing and detailing than the guitar I'm about to talk about--

And the one that I'm a bit obsessed with, which would be for myself... this is the one I'm leaning towards:

-A dual cutaway hollow-chambered guitar, neck joint undecided (though set in would be most authentic for my vision):

*Hollow-body construction, in the style of a Gibson Lucille but smaller. Haven't worked out the body shape, but it'll be a similar size as the Hamer Studio or a PRS, but with more robust cutaway 'horns' like the 345.

*jet black with high gloss finish, or VERY SUBTLE blue burst (mostly black still)

*F-hole undecided

*2 humbuckers -- I have an SB Jazz and an SB 'JB' on the way, though I might sub the JB for something with less output.

*Fixed bridge. Either traditional TOM with stop tailpiece, or TOM with string-through into ferrules

*2 vol, 2 tone, on cocentric pots

*5-way blade switch, with coil splitting options

*14 degree angled headstock

*cream or white binding

*nickel/chrome pickup covers, but with a gold mounting ring

*mixture of nickel/chrome and gold hardware -- some of the bridges use both at the same time, so that'd be the starting point

*Trapezoid pearloid inlay

*Fairly traditional headstock, but with as straight a string-pull as I can manage without throwing off the balance of the traditional look.

*Body wood uncertain... mahogany with a maple top? I'm still researching

*Ebony fingerboard with white/cream binding

*Earvana OEM nut

*either traditional 24.75" scale, or 25"

*maple neck, painted black as well... and hopefully either I'll figure out how to get a glossy neck to feel slicker, or I'll be able to do a satin finish.

*22 frets, medium or jumbo fretwire (haven't decided... but I've always used Medium and I like it, so why switch?)

Of course, the problem is that the odds of pulling off the kind of guitar I envision first time around are 100:1 at best. I don't want to be one of those first-time builders who thinks he's going to make a masterpiece first time out of the gate. So, I might be better off making a kit just to see if I take to it. ;-)

Greg

I'm currently working on a custom shaped guitar, but I've made a few not so pretty mistakes, which I need to fix.

After that, I'm going to build an explorer body for my strat clone's neck, and change the headstock into an explorer shaped one. When I get the money, I'd probably get better pickups, and possibly a ToM, instead of a blocked out strat 6screw trem.

After that's done I have a few ideas.

A neck through carved top custom shape (kinda like a BCRich Virgin)

A neck through Jackson Kelly shaped guitar

A neck through Randy Rhoads shaped thingy

But I think I'm not going to be able to have time to do more than the first two things in any near future.