Guitar Of The Month For June

Guitar of the Month for June  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Hi-tone is beautiful...and very unique,which is a big plus...but I still had to go with the guitar I would most like to play or own,and that was RAD's..

I think RAD really found his niche with this series of guitars,and I really dig the simple elegance of an ultra-functional design...

Tough one this month. Like Wes, I'd probably be inclined to play RAD's myself. Although push/pull selectors drive me up the wall (Are you listening, Caparison? :D) I'm a big fan of yours, RAD, but the colour scheme on this one doesn't do it for me like your others.

My vote is sitting on the fence between hooglebug and Hitone. Both really nicely made and really unique fiddles. But I think Hitones pin striping has won me over.

And the fact that it was built for charity, top stuff bud. I don't think it will have any trouble standing out from the other artwork :D

Man, what a month! 6 fantastic instruments and very litle room for improvements on them. The wite pickup rings that is slightly to bright white on Hitones hollowbody and the fact that RADs head is a tad to close to an upside down black machine (but hey, people make telecasters all the time). And now I'm being picky... Great stuff all around.

I pick the Hitone just because I love the amasing pinstriping.

EDIT: Oups, I realized I called my own instrument "fantastic"! Hubris anyone?

Hoogle bug: The second pictures shows how flawless the finish on this guitar is. This mini-scale is a far upgrade from the crap that Toys R’ Us sells for kids and if you have a child that fits this guitar and can actually play it, that is cool. Would I get one for my kid? Nope. I’m not a fan of the heel transition or the tuners. They sit too far off the headstock for me.

Restoration AD: I love Padauk and I love maple but for some reason the color combination does not seem to go together very well. Alos, the light spot on the fretboard catches my eye but not in a good way. I think I’ve said this before, but having strings go over the edge on a headstock just looks out of place. These are all things personal to me. This is a great guitar for anyone who does not have my hangups.

Swedish Luthier: Many, every bass you makes just looks so professional. Nothing constructive to say about this tasty 8-string. I’d play it, even if I tool the extra strings off.

Crazy Paint: Dunno, I like ricks but the carving on this one…. It seems like it needed a few more coats of oil to really set it off. The star inlays look out of place and the god hardware does not seem to complement the walnut. Again, if the walnut was darker (with more oil) it might complement it better.

Hitone: Love the looks of this guitar and the fact that you donated it to charity. I don’t know how much I would play it but I’d love to have it hanging on my wall.

DC Ross: Clean build, great color choice but the upper horn does not do it for me. I love the lacewood. I built a neck from that stuff once. I clear coated mine and it looked awesome. I can appreciate the sanding effort that went into it as lacewood is not much fun to sand.

Hard choice between the bass and the Hitone. Hitone got my choice this month.

I went for the Hooglebug's mini this month. It was REALLY close between it and Sweed's 8-stringer. I really love the simplicity of the bass - no frills and all function. The quirkiness of the mini won it out for me in the end.

I would have voted for Hi-Tone's without question were it not for the pin striping. I absolutely HATE it. It just kills the guitar. Without it, it'd be perfect. With it, it's just gaudy and over done.

hooglebug - looks like very clean work, but mini guitars are nothing for me

As always RAD´s guitar amazed me the most. It´s just a simple beautiful guitar. Makes me wanna build superthin superstrat really soon :D

SwedishLuthier - nice one, love the inlays B) only I guess I´m just not a bass person B)

CrazyPaint.no - great job, nothing to say, but the one piece neck-through.. I don´t know, hope it won´t move

Hitone - i was considering between you and RAD, but your guitar is missing something. I don´t know, maybe Elvis playing it? Reminds me of Las Vegas, although I´ve never been to LV or USA at all :D

DC Ross - I like that bookmatched back idea, just that upper horn looks odd to me, sorry. Otherwise nice guitar, that new owner is certainly happy with it :P

I've not posted on here in sometime but come on . . . people commenting on the IKKEENBACKER . . . please do a search for Rickenbacker 4004LK and see why it looks the way it does!

Lemmy = Rock God!

Got my vote! :D

Props for Lemmy. He is a great songwriter.

My shop has a 4 M rule. Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeth. If those are not in rotation then no guitars are built. Of course I have Black Sabbath and all of Dio (Rainbow, Sabbath, Solo) playing as well.

It was a toss up for me between SwedishLuthier's 8 string bass, RAD's build, and DC Ross's build. I went with DC Ross because it is different from what you usually see and I thought it was pretty slick looking as is :D I usually vote for RAD mainly because I love the shape of his builds but his last entry was the same model but different woods and that just reminds me of a produciton company submiting non custom builds so that's why he didn't get my vote.

SwedishLuthier: Your bass reminds me of your Northstar Speedster, which I loved by the way, but I think it looks better as a regular guitar instead of a bass and I am not a huge fan of doubled up strings on a bass but that's just me.

DC Ross: You got my vote. I love the way this guitar turned out. My only complaints are the heel and I thought the bass end horn should be maybe a half inch shorter and slightly slimmer but other than that I loved everything about it.

This is too cool:

Your bass reminds me of your Northstar Speedster, which I loved by the way, but I think it looks better as a regular guitar instead of a bass

Thats the first time I hear that, because I usually get:

nice to finally see this shape on a bass.

:D

BTW and totally OT @ Orgmorg: I recently got a recuest to build a replica of your Barnstormer SC from a finnish customer. I told him that I don't build replicas, but I can do something inspired by your great guitars. To be continued...

Thanks for all the votes and comments! I agree that upper horn looks way out of proportion in some of the pics. In person it's not as weird, but it is quite big.

It was a tough month to enter... RAD's is certainly win-worthy. I've always admired the cleanliness of his builds. The Swede's bass is another that has the simplistic beauty thing going on. I don't really dig the pinstriping on Hitone's hollowbody, but the build quality looks amazing.