Lead or Rhythm guitarist or bassist

Curtis P

what are you?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i joined a bnad with my friends and they seem to think i am much better than them so i took overthe lead guitar position on the songs i write.. but on some songs the others write i play rhythm... i said both... i can't play bass and don't try and delude others ! :D

i play pretty much anything with strings except for viola (too hard to read in blasted alto clef...).

i started by reading "bass" books on an acoustic, got a bass for christmas that year, and that's been my largest source of income since. i think of myself as a bassist that plays other instruments.

right now, i'm starting a band playing guitar while my brother is playing bass, though, so i'll be in both worlds soon.

Dr. Jabsco Posted on Aug 17 2004, 04:39 PM 

I play bass. Mostly slap bass, and using a pick when playing a bass is a totally wussy thing to do, unless its for some special articulation reason, which most of the time its not.

I play finger style too but only because I can't play with a pick. I have to disagree with the "wussy" thing though..........a LOT of excellent bass players play with a pick and/or both pick and fingers. I respect both styles because they each have their own sound, style and difficulty.

BTW, I play with my thumb and first 3 fingers (how many bass players do that?!) and I find it difficult to play the "normal" 2 finger 1/2/1/2 style, although I can play it on many rock style 1/8th groove songs. I used to think I was part 'tard because I couldn't play the "normal" way until I was playing in front of a very talented jazz bassist (Master's Degree in Jazz Bass on both upright and electric plus many, many years of experience and active in 2 nationally touring bands) one day and he kept staring at my picking hand. I finally stopped and apologized for my bizarre picking style. He laughed and told me never to change the way I play and forget about what other's think of my style. Since then I have completely put my picking hand out of my mind when I play and concentrate only on my fretting hand and the sound. It clears a lot of clutter out of my head and has made me a much better player since I lost my self consciousness about the way I play.

My point is not to start anything but to point out we should enjoy the making and playing of music regardless of another's style. It also makes us better players if we can forget our percieved faults and concentrate on making better grooves.

My mini rant for the day......... :D