New Singlecut Rosewood Neck Electric

I wanted to share with all of you the latest guitar I have completed.

There are a couple new features (for me) in this one including the first singlecut sculpted heel guitar with a rosewood neck. It turned out great. The transition is just a line where the leacquer ends and the neck begins. Simple and it feels good too. I finished it in a light oil, the same as I put on my fingerboards. Just enough to seal it a bit and bring out the grain and color. I will be building myself a guitar soon (3-4 months) and it will be a complete oil finish. I love the feel of the wood.

Another cool thing is the Stetsbar tremolo. I helped design a new baseplate for the unit that works for a new construction. The original design was for retrofitting the guitar onto a Les Paul or something like that. The new method allows the tremolo to appear to float about the top. I am pretty pleased with it considering it being the prototype of the new Stetsbar setup. The trem can drop the notes by a full octave and raise them by a whole tone. That does about as much as I would need. Since it routes into the top by only 1/8" of an inch you don't lose all that tonewood. Also the springs do not resonate in the range of the guitar so you don't get that annoying faux reverb effect. Sustain is excellent since the strings and springs literally pull the bridge down onto the top of the guitar. It responds like a fixed bridge. It really is a great tremolo and now it looks even better.

The electronics are also pretty interesting. The magnetic pickups are a pair of Rio Grande P90s and a babkybucker in the bridge. In the bridge I used LR Baggs piezo saddles running into a GraphTech piezo/hexaphonic preamp setup. The range of tones from this guitar are endless. I went with the LR Baggs saddles because they are very solid and mount into the tune-o-matic bridges very snug and tight. The piezo tone is also quite good. Here is a pic that shows what the electronics do in detail: electronics diagram

Here are some pics:

022-02.jpg

Here's a closeup of the Stetsbar:

022-25.jpg

All in all the guitar turned out really nice. I wanted to match a tiger eye stone that I had and the colors are a near perfect match. The cool piece of maple didn't hurt either.

EDIT: Here is the gallery on my website for more pictures:

#022 Tiger Eye Classic

Enjoy!

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

DAM That's Nice I realy love that color and the pickups just look so deadly with the wood, extremly nice headstock man!

SWEEEEEEET!!! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Sweet as usual... I like the look of the trem with the rosewood pickup covers. Everything on this guitar just flows so well, it's like a great work of art :D I'm also loving your switching ideas. I will be using that on my next creation!

Edited by Godin SD

Sweet!

I'll confess to not liking the look of that trem, but like many things it may grow on me. The things that grow on me tend to develop into long-term affection rather than a one-night stand. :D Looks are only secondary to performance, though, and the trem sounds like a real performer.

The electronics... what can I say... that kind of flexibility is something I only dream of. Wicked awesome. Some guitars are wonderful for their simplicity, but there's also room for technology and this one makes me drool.

And finally, the guitar itself-- you could have put any electronics in there, and used any kind of trem, and the end result would still be an unbelievable-looking guitar.

Good work!

Greg

Setch, now that's attention to detail! My QA needs to be better :D

Thanks so much for the comments. As always I appreciate it. And if you have any critique, improvements, etc I am glad to hear them. The only thing I would change on this guitar would be the weight. I overcompensated a bit for the rosewood neck and it is a touch heavy. The rosewood necks aren't that much heavier than a maple neck so there isn't much of a need for too much compensation. The tone it gets because of that is full and dark so I didn't mind too much. It is meant to be a studio guitar so this wasn't really a concern.

The trem has grown on me over the last few months. I know the machinist and he helped design this guitar with me along with the base plate that came out of our brainstorming sessions (it really does make the trem look 100% better). He is a great industrial desginer and has helped me refine some of my processes (look for a fully adjustable all aluminum neck pocket jig in the future).

I have another guitar with a top just like this one in the works. I may do the same thing with it in terms of finish but the electronics will be simpler; 2 humbuckerss, master volume, master tone, a 5-way, and piezos for good measure. It will also be a fixed bridge since it will be a display model (aka: mine). I may make the bridge myself though. I Have been thinking about a ebony and bone tune-o-matic for years now. I think it's high time I did something with the idea.

~David

David, the guitar is awesome! I LOVE the tiger eye finish. It is my favorite finish by far, I hope to do somthing similar on my first maple capped guitar. What method did you use to achieve that effect? Also, how did you go about making the pickup covers on this guy? I cant wait to see how the ebony TOM comes out!