Franks Superstrat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's about a page's worth of crap that should be removed from this thread to allow Perry to maintain the integrity of his original post and keep us on topic. :D

The blackened name of gsr strikes again to disrupt our forum yet one more time. That name has become synonomous with a black hole now to me. I cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would spend a penny with such a maladjusted and negative outfit as that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Damn that thing is beautiful!!! If I ever get good enough to make a guitar look like that I will have a hard time playing it, I will want to frame it. That is just incredible work perry, that green is far better than the other one, and I'm sure in person it is even nicer. What was the paint, or paint ratio mix. I love that green! Jason

Hot Damn that thing is beautiful!!!  If I ever get good enough to make a guitar look like that I will have a hard time playing it, I will want to frame it.  That is just incredible work perry, that green is far better than the other one, and I'm sure in person it is even nicer.  What was the paint, or paint ratio mix.  I love that green!  Jason

Straight 'Feast and Watson' GREEN, none of this stain black/dark and sand back...

Then tinted with the same stain mixed in to the lacquer, two light coats, then added the sunburst (stain and lacquer mix).

Straight 'Feast and Watson' GREEN, none of this stain black/dark and sand back...

Then tinted with the same stain mixed in to the lacquer, two light coats, then added the sunburst (stain and lacquer mix).

Killer. I know what I'll be using to finish mine. Sounds like it wasn't that difficult as trying to pop the figure by staining the peaks and valley and sanding like you said. I'm not sure but I think yours looks better, but I would have to see both ways done by you with the same paint and wood,and side by side. Anyways I think I'll go the same rout as you did here, it seriously looks amazing. Still a long way off for me so I have time to think it through and practice.

What other projects are in the works for you? I can't wait to see more!! Later and thanks for the info! Jason

Killer.  I know what I'll be using to finish mine.  Sounds like it wasn't that difficult as trying to pop the figure by staining the peaks and valley and sanding like you said.  I'm not sure but I think yours looks better, but I would have to see both ways done by you with the same paint and wood,and side by side.  Anyways I think I'll go the same rout as you did here, it seriously looks amazing.  Still a long way off for me so I have time to think it through and practice. 

What other projects are in the works for you?  I can't wait to see more!!  Later and thanks for the info!  Jason

i dont stain black and sand back because i dont like it. Sometimes i'll stain with a darker stain, and rub back chemically (wash it off), but thats all. Basically, the depth of the maple figuring gives you the nice looks.

Ive got another guitar ready for the sept GOTM (bluey grey green brown, depending on who views it) but i'll keep it off the forum until next month.

Yes, it is -really- beautiful now, really superb. :D

Interestingly enough, now that I have 5 carved tops underway and almost ready for dye, I will have to do it Perry's way( :D ), as ain't no Drak gonna stain and sand back a carved top. It works great on a flattop (if that's what you want to do) but with a carved top, I can't see any reason to even try it, it seems like pure suicide, so I guess I will be damp-ragging it now and asking Perry for tips. B)

Perry, what's your method for the faux binding? Do you just tape it off or seal the area prior or what?

Depends on my mood. Normally, i just spray everything but the top, with slightly thinner than normal lacquer. The stain cant get to places the lacquer is already at.

But, this time i just stained the top, then sanded the round on the edge a bit more. If the stain is bleeding, you're using too much.

Ohh man! You guys are really messin' with my mind. I thought I had a finishing plan for my LP project fairly well formulated in my mind and then I read this. :D

Interestingly enough, now that I have 5 carved tops underway and almost ready for dye, I will have to do it Perry's way(  ), as ain't no Drak gonna stain and sand back a carved top. It works great on a flattop (if that's what you want to do) but with a carved top, I can't see any reason to even try it, it seems like pure suicide, so I guess I will be damp-ragging it now and asking Perry for tips. 

Oh well I'll just keep doing this :D