The Odd Boy

Here's the story...

I've had a lot of spare parts, wood planks and such laying around for a while. Then I went on a spree fishing for cheap parts of eBay (anything less than $1). The object was to build a guitar from all that... junk. The design was never really drawn out and so it's been a challenge every step of the way to make it work.

Here's the peek at the body. Yes, there's a lot more work to be done. I know that.

oddboy-bodyfront.jpg

What's so odd about this guitar is that the body was made for a 25.5" strat scale. The neck rear was from scraps of a 24.75" gibbo scale (from the V build). For the fretboard, I split the difference and made it 25.175", right in between the two. The effect is somewhat pleasing to see and to play.

Here's links to all the other piccy's so far...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jeh...y-headfront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jeh...oy-haedrear.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jeh...oy-fullrear.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/jeh...y-fullfront.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headstock actually started with the same template as the flying v. On the other hand, I had cobbled together a set of 4/2 grovers from 2 separate auctions. I played around with it on paper and came up with the scroll to knock off about an inch or two from the point. I think you are right though, the strings spread a little too far out past the nut. It looks cool on the V, but it may be too severe for this one.

Thanks for looking.

i love the shape and the whole idea but the headstock is pretty odd, reminds me the Dean guitars headstock, and i hate them, plus, the body doesn't seem to have enough weight to create the right balace.

anyway, thats a great job beside that, and thats a very cool project. and i really loved your shape :D

what color will it be? (i don't thing you'll leave the wood grains for some reason)

I think I have about $50 in parts and another $50 in shipping at the moment. Buying cheap parts in some cases would be 99 cents for a part and another $2.50 for shipping. All in all though, 100 bucks is pretty cheap.

It'll be painted a solid color, nothing fancy this time. I managed to cut a scratch plate for it this afternoon. I was digging through my junk and found a telecaster one and it just needed a little shaping to fit the smaller body. Another free addition to the guitar. YAY!

I have some silver paint that might look cool. With the black scratch plate it reminds me of the old 20th aniversary strat guitars. I always liked the way they looked. Then there's the iPod paint job idea. White top with a chrome back. That could be cool too. :D

I also have an experiment to do for yet another logo. I had one of those "industrial accident" moments with some super glue and it just might work to make a cool logo transfer idea. I'll post the results of that if it works.

strange guitar there,jehle...i think it fits you perfectly... :D

but i would inlay a dancing bannanna at the 12th fret

What a GREAT idea! I love it! :D

I'll see if I can do that. Brian actually had a tutorial on the pyramid inlays that would be perfect for this. The frets already being in might be a problem. Hmmmm.

strange guitar there,jehle...i think it fits you perfectly... :D

but i would inlay a dancing bannanna at the 12th fret

What a GREAT idea! I love it! :D

I'll see if I can do that. Brian actually had a tutorial on the pyramid inlays that would be perfect for this. The frets already being in might be a problem. Hmmmm.

would this help you any?

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.ph...723591956296738

these are a bit cheaper

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=342&

• 2 weeks later...
Did you get that bridge for $1?!

I think I spent closer to $12 for that bridge. Still, that's pretty cheap. It was one of those things that I could have put a really crappy bridge on there, but when I saw that this was a BadAss bridge (or maybe just a clone) I kept thinking that it would look cool. It's a combination stop bar and TOM bridge. I thought it was cool.

Hey, if no one's said it yet, that headstock would be perfect for a 7 string.

Really? Steal away brother! :D

I'm having a hard time deciding what color to paint this guitar body.

I've thought about a few things and would like to get your opinions...

1. White (inspired by my iBook and iPod)

2. Metallic silver (inspired by that Mercedes SUV that I lust after)

3. Light Blue metallic (inspired by my friends BMW)

4. Tobacco burst (a surprise consideration because the grain looks much better than I thought it would)

I normally don't design by consensus, but I am having a hard time deciding on this one. Thanks in advance for any comments.

You know I would Say white If you had Black hardware but Since Your useing

Chrome Im going to say Go with the blue! :D

Or Maybe A Dark metallic Gray

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I keep coming back to the light blue metallic. It's blue, but it's silver at the same time. I'll ditch the burst idea. Once I started really thinking about what it was going to take to do it right, the price started going up. I'd have to buy a lot more, and this project is all about going cheap.

I've found a bunch of silver paint in my rattle can stash, and a pearlesent blue that might suffice for the look I'm after.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Time to start the grainfill process and finish the neck. It won't be long now.

I think this is fastest neck finish I've ever applied. About 3 coats of tung oil rubbed in with 600 grit sand paper. After that dries for 24 hours, I'll buff on the carnauba wax. Instant neck finish.

The tung oil made the Pau Ferro fretboard deep and lush looking.

The body, on the other hand is taking it's time getting the grain filled. There's an ugly spot on the back that I need to fix before I continue. That's one thing I can say that's good about a primer coat is that you can see a goof before you commit to the top coat.

I should have some pictures up later...

The gun stock finish on the neck is really groovy. Like I said yesterday, it's probably the easiest finish that I've ever applied, and it feels like a dream.

neck-backwax2.jpg

This maple doesn't have the best figure to it, but what you do see of it here is mostly brought out by the wax, not by the oil. Freaky. You can see how the finish is not candy coated too. It feels nice and smooth, and that is from the way the oil was applied.

Here's two other piccy's for you.

that huuuuuge headstock oiled and waxed

the pau ferro fretboard with it's tung oil finish and mandolin frets