Unclej Has Died - Thanks To All...

Hi I'm Scott, a good friend of Uncle Johnny's ("Unclej") here in Wimberley, TX. I know he loved this board... he died suddenly the night of Jan. 10th. John was a friend and mentor, a real go-to guy. Thanks to this forum and all on it who conversed, sparred, exchanged, and anything else with him - he loved every minute of it. Wimberley will never be the same, I will never be the same, and my guitar company Birdsong can be considered a ripple of this man who truly showed me how to work with the wood. Peace be with you all, hope you have a great new year, and carve a shaving for Uncle Johnny Kirtland. ~Scott Beckwith, just one ripple of a great stone of a man.

What a terrible loss, I hope you can pass our collective sympathy to his family and friends, as well as our congratualtions for having the chance to have known such a friendly, helpful, warm hearted guy. I'll really miss him around the forum, I hope he knew how much his input was appreciated.

I'll think of you next time I'm making shavings, take it easy UncleJ.

Hi I'm Scott, a good friend of Uncle Johnny's ("Unclej") here in Wimberley, TX. I know he loved this board... he died suddenly the night of Jan. 10th. John was a friend and mentor, a real go-to guy. Thanks to this forum and all on it who conversed, sparred, exchanged, and anything else with him - he loved every minute of it. Wimberley will never be the same, I will never be the same, and my guitar company Birdsong can be considered a ripple of this man who truly showed me how to work with the wood. Peace be with you all, hope you have a great new year, and carve a shaving for Uncle Johnny Kirtland. ~Scott Beckwith, just one ripple of a great stone of a man.

UJ will be missed here, My prayers are with him and his family.

sincerely,

Mike K

That is really sad news. :D

I had only a little contact with Unclej, but Scott's description of him sounds exactly like the guy I imagined. A true gentleman.

Johnny sold me a very nice brazilian rosewood board a few months ago and said, "make something pretty with it".

Thanks, brother. I'll remember you when I'm carving that neck.

Rest in peace, and God bless.

Mike

This year has been going from better to bad to worse. Why are the most well respected, levelheaded and friendly people leaving in this way? I hurt really bad inside... All my condolences to unclej's close friends and family. I never thought I could be affected by online relationships with people, but I guess as the years pass by some things just stick to you. I have to admit that I'm crying right now. :D

Signing off for the day.

Edited by Southpa

To feel the loss means we've had the blessing of something great in our lives... every hole inside is a part of our journey and a chance to fill it with goodness. Pick out a 3-chord country song with 4 chords in it, have a cold one on a hot day, and fill the world with beauty you have invested yourself in... especially wood and music... and you will be saying all that needs to be said about Uncle Johnny. We come, we go; those seeds and ripples along the path are what matters. I find joy in this hurt because I know I have known one worth hurting over. What a blessing... I'm still here and there's still wood to carve. Peace, ~Scott

:D

Man... Unclej!?!?! :D He held a strat body for me that he could have sold to ANYBODY because it was dirt cheap and wasn't even the slightest bit annoyed when I said I couldn't get the cash for it. He was always an awesome guy to deal with. A huge loss B)

RIP Uncle Johnny, show him how us PG'ers play

Edited by Lord-of-the-strings
Peace be with you UJ.

Why are the most well respected, levelheaded and friendly people leaving in this way?

Well, there surely must be a shortage of quality instruments in the heavenly realms these days. My Source tells me a segment of the angels are switching over from harps to guitars. :D

Stevie needs a fretjob on the Strat. 17 years of jamming nonstop with Jimi and Randy has been hell on the frets. :D

Wow, bad news. I hope the family is doing well.

If you are like me, you get an image of people and their personalities from their posts. To me he was a guy you imediately felt at home with. "Hey UncleJ, What going on in the woodshed today?" and from there it would lead to an endless discussion about wood and life.