Bloodline Strelevarius

MCH

This is my third build. I wanted something in way of a Telecaster. I wanted a double cutout with a body style a little different from the usual. So I came up with my version. The back is 1 1/8" clear pine with a center piece of maple (3/4" x 2 1/2") routed in for a better coupling of the neck. I have a middle layer of 5/16" walnut for a contrasting perimeter profile. The top is 5/8" flamed maple. The body is chambered. The center strip is a Padauk inset.

I going to use gold hardware. A Wilkinson Tele bridge with three compensated brass barrel saddles (string thru). I may add a ashtray cover on the bridge made of walnut; just for the look. The neck p/u will be a P-90 soapbar and the bridge a Tele vintage 50s. A 3 way switch and 2 volume controls and 1 tone.

I going to leave the look natural with a Tung oil finish.

Here's some pics so far. Will post others when done.

strelevariusfrontfullku5.jpg

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2944/st...ontclosepq1.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/9673/st...backfullyy0.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5719/st...ackcloseac8.jpg

I don't think the body is overly large. Compared to my semi-hollow it is a bit smaller. The widest point at the bottom is 15" and narrowest point (between the side cutouts) is 9 1/4". The longest point of the length is 18 1/2"". I think it's because there is no hardware on there, pickups and bridge it may appear like that. The weight to this point is a touch over 5 lbs. So I'm guessing the final weight will be no more than 7#. When I sit and hold it, it sits in a very comfortable playing position.

So my guess is from the 2 comments, it is not up your alley.

I like to stretch the envelope and come up with something different from the usual builds.

just me :D

speakers3du6.jpg

I'm sorry, but that looks nothing like a telecaster to me, more like a Bc Rich mated with a ES335

I hope it doesn't look like a Telecaster. That's my goal. I want a Telecaster-ish type sound (even that has changed by Fender in various ways) with a different look. That's why I'm using Tele-ish hardware and single coil pickups.

This build is not a true Stratocaster, nor Telecaster, nor a Stratavarius. It's a concept build. LOL

What will it sound when it's done? Time will tell.

Will it appeal to the masses? Probably not.

I'm not one for the design either, but you've done one hell of a job making it! I don't think the headstock really goes with the body design either. The guitar doesn't look gigantic, but the waist sure does. What do you plan on doing with the armrest area? Leaving it as is?

Yes, but also the ES-335 has a body shape conducive to it's size. And as someone above said, it may not even be the size, but how the waist doesn't come in much at all (not the cuts, the "flow" that is, which is what in your head gives you the view of the guitar). I just think it could have been forseen with a good full size sketch and a little more time at the drawing board.

Chris

It looks like a plucked turkey!! :D

Just kiddin. But I have to agree, the body does look a little big. And I'm not sure if it's just the picture or what, but it looks like the neck isn't exactly parallel to the center line on the body... looks kinda weird to me.

Looks like it was built well though. What are you going to do for a finish?

:D Cam

I'm not one for the design either, but you've done one hell of a job making it! I don't think the headstock really goes with the body design either. The guitar doesn't look gigantic, but the waist sure does. What do you plan on doing with the armrest area? Leaving it as is?

Thanks Jon for the constructive input.

I've taken the waist in by about 1 1/2" and I agree it has improved the look. The diet has worked on the waist area.

speakers3001vm6.jpg

It looks like a plucked turkey!! :D

Just kiddin. But I have to agree, the body does look a little big. And I'm not sure if it's just the picture or what, but it looks like the neck isn't exactly parallel to the center line on the body... looks kinda weird to me.

Looks like it was built well though. What are you going to do for a finish?

:D Cam

LOL! It certainly does have that plucked turkey look. Maybe I'll finish it with feathers.

The neck is parallel to the center line.

Natural finish using Tung oil.

I think it looks cool.

nice to see something a little different.

I like the size of the control cover.

if anything it will be a great stage guitar

I would have went with 4 neck screws.

Hey thanks for the positive comment. I don't use screws. I use a cab bolt system. It gives a much stronger bond with no fear of splitting when really torqued down. With the bolts, three is very adequate.

Edited by MCH

Hey MCH,

If you like the body shape, that's the point. Aesthetic things are hard to nail down, but I agree that the body looks great with the narrower waist. However--and I have utmost respect for everyone who has commented--don't let the negative comments discourage you. If the guitar plays great, sounds great, and looks great to you, then it's a great guitar. :D

Even if folks don't like it, it looks like you've done a great job making it. Better than I could... :D

Hey thanks for the positive comment. I don't use screws. I use a cab bolt system. It gives a much stronger bond with no fear of splitting when really torqued down. With the bolts, three is very adequate.

How exactly does the cab bolt system work? Do you have a supply/vendor list? I liked the look of it when I saw it on one of your previous guitars.

How exactly does the cab bolt system work? Do you have a supply/vendor list? I liked the look of it when I saw it on one of your previous guitars.

The cab bolt system is very well thought out. I started using it when I made large pieces of furniture like wall cabints that needed to be broken down for transport. It basically consists of a large headed 1/4" bolt (also come in meteric sizes) and a nut that is in a barrel shape. The barrel nut is inserted in a drilled hole that is perpendicular to the hole that is drilled for the bolt. The hardest part is aligning this entry hole for the nut so that is centered to the bolt hole. This barrel nut hole is drilled in the side at the base of the neck. I use three bolts because of the truss rod placement (I buy premade necks, so have no control on truss rod placement).

If you have the pieces on hand you'll get a better understanding on how to use them and how the holes are drilled etc. I buy them at my local lumber/hardware store. In my area Windsor Plywood.

You can torque these bolts down without fear of cracking harder woods, like maple. Plus you can remove the neck as many times as you want without damage. like threaded screws can be become sloppy and stripped.

I really like this system.

Edited by MCH

Hey MCH,

If you like the body shape, that's the point. Aesthetic things are hard to nail down, but I agree that the body looks great with the narrower waist. However--and I have utmost respect for everyone who has commented--don't let the negative comments discourage you. If the guitar plays great, sounds great, and looks great to you, then it's a great guitar. :D

Even if folks don't like it, it looks like you've done a great job making it. Better than I could... :D

Thx Geo.

I'm too old to worry about negative criticizm. My aim in posting here is to stretch the envelope. I've built a lot of furniture and things and have learnt that everyone has different tastes. I used to dabble in the fine arts. I remember one time a nice lady commented that she liked a certain painting but wondered if I could do another one using different colours to match her decor. Hmmmm. Let me think about that one.

I certainly don't get offended if someone doesn't like what I put forth. I do like constructive input.

The world is based on variety.

That flows a lot better. If you look at the centre of yours, it is basically square! The one you posted becomes more slight from back to neck, and the corners work with each other and flow.

If it were mine, I would be tempted to split it centrally and remove a wedge shaped piece from the centre to make the neck side less wide so it tapers, before rejointing and glueing.

If it were mine, I would be tempted to split it centrally and remove a wedge shaped piece from the centre to make the neck side less wide so it tapers, before rejointing and glueing.

From my stand point, I don't think that is good advice. None my guitars have a glued center line where the neck joins the body. The only center line would be the cap.

Hey don't worry about the shape. I'm very pleased with it after I narrowed the waist.

The above posted guitar for me is too small and pointy, but it does look cool.

Different strokes for different folks.

This posting has certainly got some reaction.

Edited by MCH