Pictures Of Destroying Guitars

Guest AlexVDL

How do you feel about it?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know you said no comments, but here is a quick one that shouldn't be offensive enough to anyone to elicit a negative response:

I voted no (**EDIT, I intended to vote yes. I read the question wrong. Knowing this makes my argument make more sense. :D), not because I agree with the practice, but because I think this is an area of personal liberty. Ultimately this practice is not illegal or immoral by most peoples and society's codes of conduct. So, therefore, there is nothing inherantly offensive enough about the practice that anyone who _is_ offended by it shouldn't be able to get over it, or just choose not to view the thread. There are always going to be things in life that we as individuals don't agree with. When you step back and look at the big picture, this is such a minor issue that it's not worth anybody getting upset over.

Edited by mattharris75

So when do the rock star protests begin? Jimmy Hendrix, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend, the list goes on for destoying guitars.

The next vote will be to keep naked guitar pics off the forum.

i.e. guitars must be in a half zipped up gig-bag showing no more than one cutaway :D

What a crock.

:D Hell, I've seen pics of guitars being destroyed unintentionally during their construction! Some have even been destroyed in their initial conception, yes, before they were even built! :D I remember one series of pics being shown of a botched scalloping job. I figure its a form of catharsis for those individuals who would otherwise take the old 22 rifle out of the closet and start shooting into crowds of people. Now theres an idea, just cut out the middle man and shoot the guitar instead. I honestly don't care, they are just "things" that we own. If you want to show me how you are going to trash your guitar please be creative about it and provide some entertainment value.

i think some discussion on if there is a better way to dispose of unwanted guitars and parts is a good idea - but its still a personal decision of you want to destroy them or not.

PRS kept himself warm for years with wood the rest of us would kill for and apparently whenever he makes a guitar now it gets cut in half because it doesnt pass QC.

I can imagine i would be more willing to give stuff away if i was making copies of existing guitars but i like to fool myself into thinking my guitars are identifiable by more than just the logo - and therefore could be sold using my name further down the line (not that that meas much at the moment)

Don't you have anything better to do than go on about this? Why not go build a guitar, for heaven's sake? Now I'm tempted to burn (sheerly out of indifference) the two guitars that have been sitting unstrung in my closet.

...and the answer is "no," I don't have anything better to do than reply to this silly thread. :D Well, maybe I do, but I'm procrastinating.

Edited by thegarehanman

first of all ! YES! It should not be allowed to show the destruction of guitars! this forum is for educational purposes. everyone in this community share a common passion. and don't be a smart ass with the ban jimmi crap! that was showmenship-and pete townsend actually reuses his parts-not to mention that david gilmour has even used some of those parts pete smashed to bits, to create one of the most famous guitars out there.

Education should be shown, not destruction. when the router goes inside the line-SHOW IT-this shows the importance of precission (not sure of the spelling).

this guy was just looking for attention, and we're feeding his fire of destruction. he is trying to get his name out there with a gimik. well, i hope the end justifies the means.

I think that it's perfectly fine to destroy something you build because it doesn't meet your level of quality. What else? Complete it anyway and leave your mutant deformed child to roam the bars and clubs getting laughed and derided? Hell no!! Axenasia!!

Some people can't make that simple decision to write off a build and get on with getting better, instead they dwell on what they did wrong and not what they'll do right in future. It's cathartic therapy to give yourself that closure on a build gone wrong. It helps the mind build experience.

I say promote the act. If you don't want to see it, don't look. Like dudes kissing or whatever.

(but i bet you'll watch girls kissing)

Edited by Prostheta

Guest AlexVDL
ive just relic'd a brand new guitar, and i have to say it was really fun. Chucked it around the carpark, scratched it, sanded it, rusted it, wore it in, wore it out, deglossed, bumped, bashed, bla bla.

Couldnt bring myself to wear out the brand new floyd or gotoh tuners, but the electronics didnt miss the aging process :D

The audience reaction... "WHOAAAA thats fricken cool!!"

Chuck the body and neck in the freezer for a few hours, then out into the warm sun. You'll hear it cracking INSTANTLY. The hotter the sun, or colder the body, the bigger the cracks B)

Dodgy huh? :D

Anyways, it is all up to them, who am I to judge?

exactly the point

I'm curious if you think the same if you get a misformed baby

but that was just plain sick!!

Comparing a guitar that is destroyed because its maker isnt happy isnt really the same thing at all is it!!! - after all we are talking about material possesions rather than human life.

you are entitled to your own opinion but i really think that comment steps over the line of good taste

I dont care if people post pics of guitars being destroyed. I think its a shame that other people think they are entitled to have such an extreme opinion on it to keep posts coming on and on. You dont like it, fine. Lets not let this descend into a brawl though. Some areas of this forum are unfriendly at the best of times (I remember when I was new here and I asked a simple question if anyone had any leads for wood suppliers in my area of the UK. I got flamed for it!).

As I said elsewhere, I DONT believe burning instruments is the way to destroy them. Theres plenty of wood there to go toward recycled products. Your local civic centre/Disposal site has the capabilities to take your wood and turn it into paper, agricultural product or somesuch and prevent the growing worldwide problem with Carbon emmissions from the burning of unwanted rubbish. Recycling is the way to go. Metal is melted down and reused. Plastic goes to make Pallets and dustbins, Wood makes Paper, Sawdust etc...

I will say again here for completeness that those of us who take this hobby seriously enough do have the responsibility to make sure that wood species are recycled and sustainable, but I understand that ITS A PERSONAL CHOICE and not open to discussion. Im happy with that position. I think we should all be the same.

Oh, and Michael Jackson once destroyed 250 Gibson Flying Vs in one of his pop videos. He still goes on to sell millions of copies of his albums. I think that mean No-One cares, which is sad in a way....

I should say that i am unable to burn my guitars because i live in a smokeless zone in the UK but i reserve the right to fully destroy anything i make in my workshop, if not by fire then whatever other means i have, obviously that doesnt include any human life that i create in there (you never know when i might get lucky!!!)because thats just a little bit different!!

I though david myka provided us with some very artistic shots of his guitars burning, it was carthartic for him and i enjoyed seeing it too.

Ok, we possible need to be more aware of the enviromental side of lighting a fire and recycling wood, fair points on that

I should also point out that all my scraps get sent to woodturning friends - i feel i use as much of the wood as i can, thats important to me - but what i do with a guitar that i judge to be beyond salvation is my own business

Oh come on??...Environmental effects of lighting a fire?

Anywho... Censorship is never my cup of tea. Although it seems fairly standard practice over in the US...

So basically people can accept that guitar's are being burnt, as long as they don't have to face the horror of seing wood being burnt.

You're grown men for crying out loud!

Oh come on??...Environmental effects of lighting a fire?

yeah - it aint much is it when its just a guitar burning, but imagine we all went out and set fire to our guitars - imagine what that would do for our carbon footprint!!! :D:D

i am trying to see the other side that paints us people that want to destroy our own substandard guitars as baby eating devils. Burning things is an enviromental concern but burning wood that has its carbon trapped for a few hundred years at most doesnt really compare to burning fossil fuels which are in essence exactly the same thing but heavily compressed for millions of years, and we all tend to rely on thiose in everyday life. Maybe burning finished guitar will release harmfull chemicals into the environment but i am damn sure its less than spraying them in the first place did!!

Has anyone tried barbequeing some fish on slabs of redwood or cedar - i tried after a suggestions from another forum and it tastes great... dont go trying it with cocobolo though - not sure that would be good to digest. possibly thats wastefull of me.... who knows!!!

If you are posting such pics, you know full well you are going to provoke some people. So, accept the fact that some people will provoke you right back (it's fun too ! ).

Also, if you think it fits in just fine with all other aspects of building/repair, then post such pics on some "more mature" forums and see what happens.

this is an area of personal liberty. Ultimately this practice is not illegal or immoral by most peoples and society's codes of conduct. So, therefore, there is nothing inherantly offensive enough about the practice that anyone who _is_ offended by it shouldn't be able to get over it, or just choose not to view the thread. There are always going to be things in life that we as individuals don't agree with. When you step back and look at the big picture, this is such a minor issue that it's not worth anybody getting upset over.

I agree with this.

Seriously people, go build a guitar or something. There are much better things to argue about than this.

If they want to destroy any of their property thats their business and unless they are hurting someone by doing it (and they are not) who really cares?

It's one small piece of wasted wood, really not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.