SO...

About that.....

wood you ordered...

I delivered it already....

[/uPS]

[ME]

But...but....but..... WHERE IS IT?

[/ME]

So i ordered some wood back on the 21st of december for a customers acoustic. Around $215 worth and some of it was beautiful figured mahogany that is hard to replace. I called UPS today (because it's been a while) and they said they delivered it back on the 27th. I was all, WHAT THE HECK?

So evidently he delivered it to the wrong house (because UPS says they left it on the front porch, but I was home at the time they said it was delivered), and the punk who received it stole it (ie didn't return it to me).

So I doubt I'll ever see the wood again, so it's time to order some more...

:D

This is the first problem I've ever had with UPS and it's not been pleasant.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar experience with Parcelforce is the UK. The truck with my wood order on it was stolen from the depot. I only found out because I asked Craft Supplies where my order was, and they chased PF, who said 'Our records show we delivered that package'. Apparently their system doesn't differentiate between good which are delivered, and goods which are stolen... so long as parcel force don't have it anymore....

UPS says their records show it was left on my porch at my address at 6:18 PM on the 27th. But I was home at that time, so obviously it got delivered to another front porch at that time.

I know I can get my money back for the lost goods, but it was a really nice piece of figured mahogany and high grade spruce top for an acoustic. A bitter loss any way you cut it.

I just wish there were more honest people in the world. I've had stuff wrongly delivered to our house before but we always took it over to the rightful owners house (obviously you know who, because the address is on it).

UPS says their records show it was left on my porch at my address at 6:18 PM on the 27th. But I was home at that time, so obviously it got delivered to another front porch at that time.

I know I can get my money back for the lost goods, but it was a really nice piece of figured mahogany and high grade spruce top for an acoustic. A bitter loss any way you cut it.

I just wish there were more honest people in the world. I've had stuff wrongly delivered to our house before but we always took it over to the rightful owners house (obviously you know who, because the address is on it).

In that case maybe just ask the people around your area,being so close to Christmas maybe they did not look at the address ,and are trying to figure out who would send them wood.Just hope it will turn up for you....Like I said I do feel your pain.If you can always have them ask for a sig. when shipping.Good luck.

Happened to me once....a very highly figured bubinga drop top that I shipped via UPS...from THAT big bubinga slab....UPS left it on the porch, correct address...but somebody swiped it off the porch.

The biggest irony? I had shipped it from my house to Bethesda MD which is maybe 20 minutes from me....a house that is maybe 3 blocks off my route to work in DC. :D

Man that whole thing sucks. Glad to hear that Gilmer is taking care of you. They are excellent people to work with.

Whenever I have something that I cannot afford to have stolen or delivered to the wrong place I make sure that they cannot deliver without a signature. It is an option with most of the common carriers. This way they leave a note at the door and try again in a couple of days. Whoever shows up to pick it up has to show ID. It can still be taken advantage of but it is much more difficult. Might be worth doing on your next order. For what it's worth LMI no longer ships UPS anymore. Too many issues.

EDIT: I sometimes have my stuff shipped to the UPS facility with my phone number in the address. They call me when they got it and I go pick it up. Never had a problem with this approach.

I hope the next batch of wood is everything that you expected in the first place.

~David

Edited by Myka Guitars

A good reason always to cough up (or, rather, ask for) the extra $1 for an authorized signature requirement. Of course, for a lot of people this would mean having it delivered to your place of employment instead of your home, if no one is around during the day.

I've been told that UPS doesn't try to fight too many claims under $100 unless it's pretty obvious that it isn't their fault. That, of course, doesn't get you back your one-of-a-kind slab.

Ordered of $2500 worth of parts from WD Music...

UPS is delivering it.

Four weeks later it hasnt arrived.

Then i get a letter, which says (and no word of a lie):

"Hi, we have damaged your package, and are currently in the process of reordering the items from your supplier. Unfortunately, your package has also been lost, and because it is not trackable, we are unable to provide any more info."

I rang them. How can you LOSE a package, yet still have my details, even though its not trackable? Umm, dunno. If its damaged, what happened? We dont keep those records sir, but the damaged goods go to our recovery team, and replacement items will be sent to you....

Three weeks later, a replacement package arrived (all parts where there, and untouched). Four weeks after that, the original package arrived, with only one tiny chip in a premade bass neck. I rang UPS again, to inform them i had received both packages now. "Sorry Sir, you must be mistaken, we have no documentation at all regarding these items, so we must'nt have delivered anything to you" "Shall i send back the damaged goods?" "No, we dont want them" FINE!! Two packages for the price of one!

Gotta love UPS :D

I made UPS redeliver a package to me recently...they dropped it off at somebody else's house,so they had to track it down and pick it back up.

Funny thing was,it turned out it was delivered to the school across the street from my house...I have a large sign with my address on a huge pine tree 10 feet from the road,and yet the driver said he could not find my house...

I made UPS redeliver a package to me recently...they dropped it off at somebody else's house,so they had to track it down and pick it back up.

Funny thing was,it turned out it was delivered to the school across the street from my house...I have a large sign with my address on a huge pine tree 10 feet from the road,and yet the driver said he could not find my house...

Yeah the thing about this one is the driver swears he delivered it to my exact address on the 27th at 6:18 PM and left it on the front porch. Only thing is we were all home that day and no one ever saw him or heard a doorbell (and we would have because we were eating dinner from 6:00-6:45 and could see the front door from the table.

So best I can figure the driver is crazy and has no idea what he is doing. They had multiple extra drivers at the time to deal with the christmas rush and my usual driver (who is great, which is why I've never had a problem) was temporarily reassigned a bit north of us. So we had some driver who didn't know the area...

I guess since it's been so long and they have no leads that they figured the package is gone for good. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with UPS, probably because the driver in my area is usually very good.

I don't understand how they can drop a package on the porch and just leave. For Christ's sake, take it back with you, attempt a second delivery, leave a note and take it back to the warehouse if there's no answer. I would prefer a trip to the warehouse instead of having that package stolen.

My girlfriend received some books as gifts during the Christmas holidays. We weren't home, so they drop the box on the porch. 300$ worth of books on the porch during 2 days. Can you believe this? We were lucky nobody stoled it. And it was a 24" X 24" box. Kinda hard to miss. You could see it from any house on the street.

USPS and Canada Post don't do that. But I've seen it done by UPS, Fedex, DHL...

Edited by MescaBug

Just for the heck of it ....look on Ebay...maybe someone is selling some cheep wood....but for the life of me ,if I recieved some wood out of the blue,I would check the address and return it.It is not like something just anyone would want.Glad your getting a replacement tho.Still the frustration has to be a pain.

Just for the heck of it ....look on Ebay...maybe someone is selling some cheep wood...

Ebay is a nice way to get burned. Don't buy wood from someone you don't know on the internet.

I think he was suggesting that the people who got my wood might sell it on ebay. I already thought about that and checked out ebay but didn't find anything.

EDIT: hmmmm I just realized I have not yet received the padauk fingerboard you sent me Jon. I hope this is not becoming a trend...

Just for the heck of it ....look on Ebay...maybe someone is selling some cheep wood...

Ebay is a nice way to get burned. Don't buy wood from someone you don't know on the internet.

I think he was suggesting that the people who got my wood might sell it on ebay. I already thought about that and checked out ebay but didn't find anything.

EDIT: hmmmm I just realized I have not yet received the padauk fingerboard you sent me Jon. I hope this is not becoming a trend...

Yes ,that is what I was refering to,but thanks Jon for the heads up.

I ordered a new hard drive for my laptop last year. UPS website says it's out for delivery, so I'm watching for the truck. I see it pull up outside and I head for the door. Driver walks up the lawn, looks at the front porch, looks at the railing on the front porch, realizes he would have to walk around the railing, shrugs shoulders, and TOSSES THE BOX WITH MY NEW HARD DRIVE ON THE CONCRETE PATIO!! This is a box that's marked EXTREMELY FRAGILE--HARD DRIVE ENCLOSED.