how often do you guys change strings?

rsera

how often do you guys change strings?

I change them about 1-2 times a year depending on how often <I play that guitar(I have 10 so I dont play them all constantly) and I cant remember tha last time I broke a string cause I must have them setup really well,maybe 5-6 years since the last string break.

Heh, I usually play until the strings crumble away :D. Way back when, I used to loop 3 or 4 windings around the peg so I can boil them to remove the gunk, wipe them down good and re-use. But then, enter floyds and the things like sperzels (almost no windings at the tuning peg)... now I guess about every 3 months (estimate.) I still boil strings for basses and steinberger double-ball ended strings.

I usually end up changing mine about every 3 months or so. Although I would like to more. It's sad when you save for a 5 or 6 dollar pack of strings. I find that even if I don't play a paticular guitar that much they still loose the tuning stability and that new string sound after a few weeks. I have started cleaning my strings more regularly and it helps them last but they always seem to feel greasy no matter how much wiping I do. Any cures for this.

Just recently I've been replacing my strings once a week because of band practises have been getting proper rocking!

Someone once mentioned coating with baking soda and then boiling in vinegar/water makes them sound like new again. Regardless, there is still wear and flattening of the windings. That can't be cured. And even then, once taken off most electric guitars (cept my Hagstrom) the strings can't be fed back thru those tiny holes without any undue stress :D .

But heres a good tip and I'll bet that people in your household will definitely support this action. Get off your ass, go wash the dishes then pick up your guitar. It cleans the hands, and limbers up the fingers.

i went for a year with the stock strings on my electric, then put on some slinkies which i didnt care for as one broke when i was stretching them, the didnt feel good when playing, and another broke shortly after. right now i've had dean markleys on for a month or two and they are A+

I usually break the small E-string at the bridge after a couple of weeks but I'm constantly using the whammy bar. That's normal, isn't it?

it is if you use it alot...my trem guitars get a new e string pretty quick

dido.....

But i came up with this little trick

I just unclamp that part of the nut, unwide the broken string from the tunning post once (one loop) so that the borken end can fit in the bridge then tighten the tunning peg back up... same old string so no stretching out issues/tuning problems, and you don't even have to take it off... takes about 30 seconds to do, and you don't need to buy a new string :D

But i came up with this little trick

I just unclamp that part of the nut, unwide the broken string from the tunning post once (one loop) so that the borken end can fit in the bridge then tighten the tunning peg back up... same old string so no stretching out issues/tuning problems, and you don't even have to take it off... takes about 30 seconds to do, and you don't need to buy a new string :D

I do exactly the same thing. I put enough turns around the tuning peg to be able to do it a few times. When there's not enough string left to do it, I change the whole set because by then the other strings start breaking.

ok guys the reason I asked was I have 5 guitars with floyds and they are a rite pain to restring(getting everything tuned up properley and then I have to have the trem unit parrallel to the body),so if you guys have any good tips on restring that is fast and lets you setup quick then im all ears

ha! one of the reasons I stopped using Floyds was becuase changing strings sucked...but I know everyone else likes them so I won't knock 'em any further. :D

I play a gig every 2-3 weeks, and my main Schecter C-1 gets the full treatment before shows--new strings clean up, polishing the hardware, etc...the bastard black C-1 (it's backup) gets it's strings changed every 2-3 shows. My other guitars get changed probably every 3-6 months. Mostly cuz I don't sweat that much when playing them and I don't use them all the time.

Restringing floyds...do one at a time, and try to put a support under the trem. I think once upon a time they developed this plastic mount that would catch the trem bar and "make it a fixed bridge". You might wanna look for one of those.

ha! one of the reasons I stopped using Floyds was becuase changing strings sucked...but I know everyone else likes them so I won't knock 'em any further.   :D

Restringing floyds...do one at a time, and try to put a support under the trem. I think once upon a time they developed this plastic mount that would catch the trem bar and "make it a fixed bridge". You might wanna look for one of those.

Hmm... I've never had a problem with restringing floyds... always fast to change and quick to tune for me.

Sounds like you're describing the HipLock.