Project Custom Sg

Thanks guys... It is still possessed.

You know it threw itself off the bench when I wasn't looking and broke its horn.The epoxy I used to fix it didn't completely harden for 3 weeks...yet worked fine on the very next thing I used it on. The fretboard ended up with 23 frets when I swear I put 24 on it. The head plate seam started to show after several months...I had to make the control plate three times as it kept curling up... The top has moved and revealed more cracks over and over again. I had to strip all the finish off of it because the first finished went milky... I know it was the evil trying to get out.

paulie -- If this helps you like it more it is not an SG. It is as HEAVY as a Les Paul and since the first SGs were Les Pauls it is fitting that this thing is heavy... so think of it as a first run double cut Les Paul possessed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it threw itself off the bench when I wasn't looking and broke its horn.The epoxy I used to fix it didn't completely harden for 3 weeks...yet worked fine on the very next thing I used it on. The fretboard ended up with 23 frets when I swear I put 24 on it. The head plate seam started to show after several months...I had to make the control plate three times as it kept curling up... The top has moved and revealed more cracks over and over again. I had to strip all the finish off of it because the first finished went milky... I know it was the evil trying to get out.

paulie -- If this helps you like it more it is not an SG. It is as HEAVY as a Les Paul and since the first SGs were Les Pauls it is fitting that this thing is heavy... so think of it as a first run double cut Les Paul possessed.

OK, that kinda makes it more tolerable. The SG standard is far toooo thin i rekon. Like a skirting boars with strings.

This thing looks realy cool but id still have to go with Les paul's thinking on the SG in general. just does not do it for me.

Speaking of things possessed. my family all swear there was a ghost in my house for years, but when I built stevie (my SRV strat) they all rekon it went away. Apart from my old man that is, He rekons its in the guitar now, Says it feels 'funny' when he plays it :D

Billy gibbons talks about a woman that had died in the bed over pearly (his Les paul was stored under her bed before he bought it) & he rekon her soul went into the guitar.

OK, that kinda makes it more tolerable. The SG standard is far toooo thin i rekon. Like a skirting boars with strings.

This thing looks realy cool but id still have to go with Les paul's thinking on the SG in general. just does not do it for me.

Speaking of things possessed. my family all swear there was a ghost in my house for years, but when I built stevie (my SRV strat) they all rekon it went away. Apart from my old man that is, He rekons its in the guitar now, Says it feels 'funny' when he plays it :D

Billy gibbons talks about a woman that had died in the bed over pearly (his Les paul was stored under her bed before he bought it) & he rekon her soul went into the guitar.

Straight from RJD:

"Fade into shadow, you'll burn

your fortune is free, I can see it's no good

Never look back, never turn

It's a question of time 'till

your mine and you learn"

I would never argue with Mr. Gibbons or Les Paul (god rest his soul).

I would never argue with Mr. Gibbons or Les Paul (god rest his soul).

The 2 most important people in the history of the electric guitar if you ask me.

Without Les paul & Paul bigsby, Leo fender would never have taken such a serious interest in the electric guitar. & given that Les then went on to work with Gibson to design the best guitar ever built I rekon the guy is more important than any other contributer to the whole guitar thing in general.

As for Billy gibbons, Hendrix once described him as the future of music.

he'a a guitar playin - hotrod drivin Jesus in Snake skin boots & sun glasses :D

• 5 weeks later...
HandOfDoom_01.png

WOW !!!! Simply spectacular !!!!

What is it with the single minihumbucker thing ?? With this one and WezV Firebird, a new trend of stripped-down, boutique, connoisseur guitars ??

I have always found the concept of a single, bridge pickup, unappealing to me and now I can't help it but love these two things !!

You have built an amazing instrument, congratulations !!

I have always found the concept of a single, bridge pickup, unappealing to me and now I can't help it but love these two things !!

you have to try it sometime. I am not sure why, maybe the reduction of magetic pull at the neck pickup position or the opportunity for an unadulterated deep neck join, but single bridge pickup guitars can seem a lot more alive and vibrant in some way.

a simple 'junior' version of one of your designs would work really well :D

I love the ziracote on this thing - glad it all worked out in the end

That is unbelievably awesome.... the color of the ziricote, the finish.... its all DELICIOUS...

WOW !!!! Simply spectacular !!!!

What is it with the single minihumbucker thing ?? With this one and WezV Firebird, a new trend of stripped-down, boutique, connoisseur guitars ??

You have built an amazing instrument, congratulations !!

you have to try it sometime. I am not sure why, maybe the reduction of magetic pull at the neck pickup position or the opportunity for an unadulterated deep neck join, but single bridge pickup guitars can seem a lot more alive and vibrant in some way.

a simple 'junior' version of one of your designs would work really well :D

I love the ziracote on this thing - glad it all worked out in the end

Thank you guys. This was the craziest most evil thing I have ever built and I am glad it is appreciated.

I agree with Wez you simply have to try the single humbucker thing....removing things from the signal path always livens things up. That is why I do such minimal electronics. but truth be told I didn't want anything messing up the top.

The mini is mean and built to play Black Sabbath but manages AC/DC and ZZ Top with ease.

And with the tap it can do anything... my friend was playing Diary of a Madman on it over the weekend and it was perfect.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

WOW! I was actually given the super rare opportunity to pick this guitar up and play it a bit at the SEGAS show. I was there as a vendor and voted for this guitar for best in show. I'm told I'm the only person to get to play it because I am a fellow woodworker here on PG! Honored for the trust and support with the instrument. It plays like a dream! Great action, awesome sustain, incredible finish, I could just look at it for hours it's so sweet. Thanks for the trust!

PS. I only played sabbath on it:)