Rhythm King

Now we have the mortise and tenon cut.

wip52.jpg

wip53.jpg

It's just a hair from being able to pick it up by the neck, but there's still plenty of long-grain contact. It'll be reinforced by the back plate. The tenon goes through the entire thickness of the body top & core; the bottom will lie flat against the inside of the back plate.

Now I can glue the fretboard on.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was going for. :D

I may have figured out a way to save the back. The piezo modules I have don't fit well into the side of the bass shoulder. If I mount the box under the cover that's on the wrong side and make a window of sorts for the controls, I can still make use of the back. I can put the pup selector on the trebel shoulder with a chicken-head knob, or just put the master volume there.

Of course, this is assuming that I can be satisfied with the results of the acoustic bridge. If not, I'm still hosed.

white line: That's exactly what I thought too. The dry runs without it looked really plain. I needed to put a binding on it because I needed an edge for the inlays. Running them off the board wasn't even a consideration. But just a wenge binding wasn't enough. The white line made a picture frame and separated the binding from the inlays.

So here's the whole thing, headstock and all

wip58.jpg

wip59.jpg

Can you (or anyone else) explain the deal with those "1st fret" things? I have an OLD teisco from the 60's that has it too, but I dont really understand it.

That aside, looks really great, what did you use for the white binding? Pardon if I missed that somewhere.

Can you (or anyone else) explain the deal with those "1st fret" things? I have an OLD teisco from the 60's that has it too, but I dont really understand it.

It is a zero fret.It's used so that open strings have the same tone as fretted strings.The fret is used in place of a standard nut,but you still have to have something behind it to keep your string spacing.