Project S9 Continued...

There's some exceptional work there, you should be mega proud.

Thanks. I had a photo shoot a few weeks ago and just got around to cleaning up the shots and making sense of them.

I wish I had better photos of the Multiscales that I finished this year but they had to go because of tours. Hopefully the guys will get some decent stage shots.

The plan for 2014 is to take my time and get good photoshoots before they leave.

I am sort of surprised to say the headless is the one that is really tickling my fancy...possibly because I have been planning a headless for a while and this one seems to be the most perfect adaptation of it I have seen yet

Yeah me too. I took my Steinberger Spirit and played it for a few months. Noting all the things that suck. Used it to make a better version.

Thin trapezoid neck, thinner body, better access to the upper frets, arm cut away to help with stability, longer upper horn to move the strap position and increase the neck pocket....etc.

I am doing another one for a local friend. He played this one and decided he had to have one.I am stoked to build more of them. I really like headless guitars. String tension always seems better. They are light and easy to transport. Just fun play.

I had a spirit for about 3 days before I returned it...just felt like an unbalanced stick...the lady at MF asked the reason for the return and I told her "I just feel like any God worth his salt would punish me for owning this piece of crap"

Or that was the gist of it anyway

Edited by westhemann

I had a spirit for about 3 days before I returned it...just felt like an unbalanced stick...the lady at MF asked the reason for the return and I told her "I just feel like any God worth his salt would punish me for owning this piece of crap"

Or that was the gist of it anyway

Exactly. A pickup swap does not fix what is wrong with a Spirit. I mean how do you make such a small guitar weigh more than a full size super strat?

Sentinel, the ebony beast, never left the house. It turned into my guitar and found a place in the pack.

I would like to know your opinion if any about the ebony and its affect on tone of that guitar. Alembic makes some big statements about how ebony neck lams increases the fundamental /sustain/mojo blah blah- I have always taken that sort of talk with a grain of salt as I can "barely hear the difference on the basses I have heard with/without ebony neck laminates- and perhaps your neck lams are not "wide" enough to make much difference, and maybe there is less pronounced effect on guitars than basses- but all the same would appreciate your comments if you have any. thanks.

Pine tends to become harder with age as the pitch crystallises and diffuses through the wood. Much harder. Thing is, isn't Adirondack a "white" Pine as opposed to the harder "yellow" Pines? The whole "no truss rod" thing is just idiocy from a practical viewpoint on the basis that the neck has no control method whether it is "stiff enough" or not. Straightness under tension is not the point.