Build#6: Hollow Singlecut

Now you're just showing off! :D

Good stuff.

SR

:D Well, it's so much fun to do little things like that! Thanks!

Appropriate. "Puukko" is Finnish for a knife. The kind used for gutting and making vihta.

I wish that was why I chose my nickname... Pucko in Swedish means "stupid". I was trying to register on some forum and everything I tried was already taken. I then tried pucko because I got angry, didn't work either so I spelled it with two k:s instead.

That's crazy and innovative. Are you going to make it match the top finish wise?

Yep, it has the same color as the top.

Back to some progress pics:

I glued the top on and put the binding on. No pics though...

The back is oiled with Danish oil. It feels really nice, lots of "bare wood" feeling left:

DSCF8520_zps323560f7.jpg

Time for some color. I've had troble deciding what color it should have, but i decided to go with my first gut feeling that usually comes when I start thinking about building a guitar.

Before:

IMG_0912_zps3e9b6dfb.jpg

First dye coat, some extra diluted "mahogany" dye. This is just to pop the grain a bit more:

IMG_0916_zps5726db69.jpg

...and then a coat of red dye with some of the mahogany dye mixed into it to make it a little darker:

IMG_0926_zps467bd581.jpg

And here's how it looks when dry and in daylight. It has this watermelony pink shade now (which I actually think is pretty cool) but will darken considerably when clearcoated. Some kind of cherry red is the goal:

IMG_0934_zpsd4b9856b.jpg

Good as always, Pukko-san.

Domo arigato Prostheta-san!

What a classy guitar! Very very nice and elegant with out being too gaudy or over the top anywhere. Very very cool!

Thanks! Glad you like it!

That watermelon pink is cute :blush Maybe bursting with a green edge will bring out the true melon essence.

Yep, my daughters want it to stay that way... Green burst it is then, and then I'll hand carve little melon seeds out of ebony and inlay them into the maple. Tasty!

I hope that was a dry joke of sorts! I think green over red will result in a murky brown-green. Still, if done properly that would be sweet.

Watermelon+guitar.jpg

Aaaah, my eyes! Where did you find that? Of course I was joking, I figured HCRoadie was as well. Green burst on red with inlayed seeds would be tasteless, not tasty.

Sprayed the first coat of nitro and then the rain came... Hopefully I can continue tomorrow.

20130731_211903_zps2a5a2409.jpg

I also completed the maple truss rod cover. I was going to use mahogany for the bottom but that didn't give enough contrast to the red so I glued some binding strips together and used that instead. Like this:

DSCF8565_zpsc6d12e5d.jpg

Where are you getting your nitro from? Shot or aerosol can?

Aerosol cans. I think I got these at a store called Kreatima (kreatima.se) in Stockholm but they are available at gitarrdelar.se, gmf.se, slojd-detaljer.se too if online purchase is preferred.

Thank Pukko - good to know. Looks like GMF are the cheapest option depending on shipping overhead.

Anyway. Back to the show Pukko. Fantastic idea for the truss rod cover. Are you doing the same to the side soundhole cap also?

I don't know, at slojd-detaljer one can is 72 kronor and GMF:s can costs 129 kronor. I guess it also depends on how many cans you're buying, if I remember correctly there might be some lower price limit for buying, maybe like minimum 200 kronor or something like that. Is it possible for you to buy stuff through your school? Maybe you could buy directly from ernstp.se, they have all sorts of furniture supplies like nitro, fish glue, bone glue (translated from Swedish, is that the same as hide glue maybe?) and more. They seem to have a dealer in Suomi as well, have you checked http://www.rakennusapteekki.fi ?

Obviously the soundhole cap won't have a ivoroid back plate but otherwise it's the same cherry colour with binding. The jack plate and pickup covers got the same treatment as well.

I couldn't find it on Slojd-Detaljer.fi however I am needing coffee so maybe that's it. Yeah, I can order through the school possibly with a discount. The temptation is to buy what is needed per-project in aerosol because our desiccator keeps failing and I am sure that the design of the air supply system in the booths is not that good. I can't see them fixing it up when it serves the needs of student-level work though. Realistically I should buy stain, paint, thinner and an inline filter for my own work. Far cheaper going forward, and I am sure that the level of solvents in the aerosols will be untenably high. We tend to buy via VäriÄssät so I might go query them first.

I thought that your side soundhole was removeable....I guess it will be a choice of either open or half-open?

Yes, "bone glue" will be hide glue. It's produced from anything that contains collagen like skin, bones, tendons, arteries, etc. Basically, hot dogs.

I couldn't find it on Slojd-Detaljer.fi however I am needing coffee so maybe that's it. Yeah, I can order through the school possibly with a discount. The temptation is to buy what is needed per-project in aerosol because our desiccator keeps failing and I am sure that the design of the air supply system in the booths is not that good. I can't see them fixing it up when it serves the needs of student-level work though. Realistically I should buy stain, paint, thinner and an inline filter for my own work. Far cheaper going forward, and I am sure that the level of solvents in the aerosols will be untenably high. We tend to buy via VäriÄssät so I might go query them first.

I thought that your side soundhole was removeable....I guess it will be a choice of either open or half-open?

Yes, "bone glue" will be hide glue. It's produced from anything that contains collagen like skin, bones, tendons, arteries, etc. Basically, hot dogs.

Article number 1169. http://www.slojd-detaljer.fi/kategorier/puu-metallityot/pintakasittely-liima/maalit/spraylack-pid1169

I have been toying with the idea to set up some kind of spray booth at the summer house where I start my builds, can't really justify the cost though when I build as sporadically as I do. Theoretically I'm never sure there will be another build but since this seems to be more addictive than heroin maybe I should just realize there will be more builds and pay up for some spray equipment...

No, I will probably glue the soundhole cover on. I'll stick it on to see how much difference there is with and without it first.

Edit: Ha ha, hot dog glue! I'll ask for that the next time I'm buying supplies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...