opinions needed

Ebony or maple?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well, I think this would make a hell of a lot more sense in the inlays and finishing section, but since you can't do a poll in there, I guess I'll do it here :D

Ok, I have a customer guitar I'm working on, the guitar itself is a trans purple quilt top Jackson soloist, here is the inlay so far. Originally he wanted maple, but I think it looks far better on Ebony, the maple kind of makes it all look drab, there is still a lot more to be cut, like all the water, but the whales are the main focal point, so what do you like better? ebony? or the maple?

whales_ebony.jpg

whales_maple.jpg

Guest AlexVDL

I choose maple...

1. because a lot of inlay work is being done in ebony, and I think maple would be more unique

2. Whales have dark colors, which I think contrasts very well to a light maple board... the quilted maple reminds me of waves :D

3. because it could be a challenge to route the inlay so you get as little gaps as possible. It's very easy to hide on ebony, but maple shows everything. So For me it would be a lovely challenge B)

Nice inlays by the way!

• 4 years later...