Finished Pics! Trini Lopez Semi Tribute

21 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Did you know it was going to end up at 21 or22 frets when you slotted it at 24?

SR

Yes, Scott.  Where it is going to end square, I usually cut to 24 and the use the fret slot to cut down to final length with a properly square end.  If I'm going to do a shaped end, I cut the final number of slots so I can leave plenty of length for the end section.

Even though the original was only 20 frets, we are opting for 22 which will mean that the neck pickup will be a couple of cm closer to the bridge.

I use the fret slot to cut off the fretboard as well. Typically I just cut the twenty-third slot all the way through the board and call it done. I don't like cutting slots well enough to cut a couple extra that will end up in the bin a bit later. On the other hand, I don't seem to mind filling a hole with lacquer over and over again.....

SR

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

And so, all going well, this week should see the fretboard tapered, fretted, glued, neck tapered and headstock shaped. :)

For the fretboard, Jack is opting for no binding and a veneer pinstripe - this kind of thing:

aRguV4Ch.jpg

That all done, then that will leave just the neck profile to do (Jack will be sending me profile tracings and sizes taken from his favourite neck.  All necks have their own feel but, hopefully, I can get him a pleasing familiarity with it ) and the build itself will be essentially finished. 

And after that, the finishing can start...and that's where the magic really starts with nice woods like these :)

• Like 2

And so, on a 'measure 14 times and cut once' basis, the fretboard taper was cut this morning:

vFVm5jrl.jpg

And, using a G&W steel fret cutting template as my flat surface, the maple veneer glued onto the bottom - you can never have too many clamps (or radius block cauls)!

fW1sciWl.jpg

nfFTo2Fl.jpg

And that done, I've been able to start the fretting.

I'm using Evo Gold fret wire (I've used those on all my personal guitars and basses and the majority of builds for other folk). 

After de-tanging the ends of each fret: I 'wipe' a triangular needle file along the slot to take the brittle edge off; then apply a teeny thread of titebond; position it in the slot; whack it one side, then the other, then the middle to engage the tangs; wipe off the squeeze-out; then clamp a 12" radius block (the radius of the fretboard) for good measure while I then prepare the next one to be done.

XfNxLOAl.jpg

14 done, 8 to go

21 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

And so, all going well, this week should see the fretboard tapered, fretted, glued, neck tapered and headstock shaped. :)

For the fretboard, Jack is opting for no binding and a veneer pinstripe - this kind of thing:

aRguV4Ch.jpg

That all done, then that will leave just the neck profile to do (Jack will be sending me profile tracings and sizes taken from his favourite neck.  All necks have their own feel but, hopefully, I can get him a pleasing familiarity with it ) and the build itself will be essentially finished. 

And after that, the finishing can start...and that's where the magic really starts with nice woods like these :)

So much going on in this picture, this will be one damn fine instrument when it's done. Like someone before said, looks delicious, I wanna have a bite :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

especially with the exposed neckthrough, love it.

Thanks, Ash

Although it's on the very edge of OTT, the exposed neckthrough will, once all the metalwork is in place and the finish has darkened it, look quite good.  It was, however, born out of necessity - the 335 shape is a VERY wide guitar and this is pretty much the widest you can reasonably easily get hold of ebony.

With the frets in (fretboard not glued yet) it's definitely starting to look like a guitar now, though :)

u7O1FNjh.jpg

• Like 2

So with the fretboard done, time to prepare for attaching it to the neck.  But first, while I still have a flat surface to be able to put into my home-made router thicknesser jig, I need to get the neck down to final planned thickness.  With a 2.5mm packer at the nut end to give me the taper of thickness, off we go.  The clamps double up as end stops for the router carriage:

FXYYiDdl.jpg

Then the truss-rod fitted and protected from glue squeeze-out with a thin strip of masking tape:

KhHk8izl.jpg

You can never have too many clamps:

uB1GYGRl.jpg

And - to my admitted surprise and relief - one straight and gap free fretboard fitted :)

WDjSLjjl.jpg  

Just got the neck carve and headstock to do and then the main build part is complete 

Of course, then comes the finishing...and I've got no idea yet quite what I will do for that...  ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

And - to my admitted surprise and relief - one straight and gap free fretboard fitted

That is a most unforgiving method and step in the assembly for attaching a fretboard Andy.

Though obviously not too much for a man of your skills.

Well done!

Showoff.

:)

SR

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ScottR said:

That is a most unforgiving method and step in the assembly for attaching a fretboard Andy.

What I meant  to do, and then forgot, was to leave the excess at the nut in place and pop a couple of panel pins in, then remove the pins and overhang once the board was on.

But I forgot and cut the overhang off first.

What I do, but realise didn't show on the photo, is file the neck flush with the board at the nut and body end and pop a couple of spool clamps over the board and against the neck at each end to hold the board from surfing left or right - so I only had to watch that it didn't creep forwards or backwards.  It's not as sure as a pin, but generally works.

Of course, if I was a normal builder, I'd fret after putting the board on and so hide the pin holes in a couple of the fret slots.  But why make things easy for yourself when you have the opportunity to make it much, much harder?  :lol:

• Haha 1

We're still fine tuning the shape of the headstock, but it is likely to be in the Firebird/Thunderbird ilk.  The original Trini Deluxes seem to have had a number of variations but most appear to have had something like the Firebird.  This will be fitted with the Steinberger banjo replacements so, within reason, the wood can be any shape.

Also the neck carve is basically done.  Jack took me some profiles from his favourite playing guitar and I've used those to try to gain a familiarity of feel with this build.  I use a combination of spokeshave, micro-plane blade and cabinet scraper to creep up towards the shape:

lLBad3Ml.jpg

gcpvtitl.jpg

QbiLWeXl.jpg

ywF9zA8l.jpg

The chalk line along the spine is so that I never dig into the spine which would affect the neck depth.  The neck carve is my favourite part but is often too quickly done and gone!

751VHTel.jpg

And then the preparatory work on the finishing of the body.

I use a rough version of the Tru-oil slurry and buff method early on to act as a:

- grain fill / gap fill / sanding sealer

- 'reveal coat' to show up any glue residue, sanding marks etc.

To do this, I sand with some brutal 120 grit emery (with the grain always) used wet where the wet is lashings of Tru-oil.  You end up with a slurry of wood dust that is then wiped off and allowed to dry.

Even at this early stage, it's showing some promise :)

QXHKD0mh.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I know I haven't piped up on this build much recently, but can I just say this is the first time I've been on television?

Looks pretty spectacular, Andy :thumb:

Have you got a '11 secret herbs and spices' plan in mind for how it will be finished? I'd be nervous that so much dark timber would end up just looking like eighty shades of murky brown if any old varnish or oil was applied 😬

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

I know I haven't piped up on this build much recently, but can I just say this is the first time I've been on television?

That statement must have one of those uniquely Tasmanian traditional references in it  :lol:

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

Have you got a '11 secret herbs and spices' plan in mind for how it will be finished? I'd be nervous that so much dark timber would end up just looking like eighty shades of murky brown if any old varnish or oil was applied

Yes indeed.  To use a less unique Anglo Saxon traditional reference, I'm going to wing it   :D

Tru-oil slurry and buff.  This will darken the timbers and bring out enough of the figuring of the walnut and will end up a very similar satin sheen and feel to the untreated ebony.

I've got some more Tru-oil coming today or tomorrow so will be able to see if my winging works (and try saying that after a few pints of Titanic!)

The plan is to finish the build elements this week and finish the finishing next.  Mind you, you know about the plans of mice and men (origin unknown).