I think I'll make a green one.

For a long time I've been looking for spiral cut pattern following bits. I hate the noisy chattering of the straight bladed pattern following bits that seem to be what is only available. I found what I was looking for this year. It's from SpeTool, sold on Amazon, made in China, a half inch compression bit on a quarter inch shaft, with a one inch cutting surface. It's the smoothest cutting pattern bit I own. So far. It hasn't had a huge test yet. Zero chatter. I'd think it would guess less tear out in figured wood. We'll see.

Look at this beastie!

DSC04482.JPGDSC04483.JPG

It cut a fine neck pocket.

DSC04490.JPGDSC04492.JPG

Set neck guitar neck set.

DSC04495.JPG

SR

• Like 4

12 hours ago, henrim said:

The top carve on the headstock is really nice. I didn’t quite get the volute shape until now that you carved the initials into it. Beautiful!

Thanks Henri.

That headstock and volute has evolved a bit over the years. In my earliest builds I was always concerned that headstocks were fragile constructions with the stress of angles, string tension and trussrod channels and counter tension. My early headstocks included the stout volute and a center spline to give the headstock added strength (in my mind anyway).

IMG_1326.JPG

That got refined to eventually lose the spline since I saw no evidence of breakage, and was often fighting with enough room for the tuning machines as I tried to get them closer to straight pulls. That lead to them more current shaped volute, which I freely admit took some design features from @killemall8's volutes, namely the transition from the neck to the headstock. Then I was building a guitar for my son and getting some pressure to sign the builds. I recalled a comment from @sdshirtman stating the volute would be a good place for a logo. This didn't happen all at once....there was no lightbulb going on over my head. In fact I thought it was all my own idea, but over the years I recognized the influences. Anyway I signed my son's guitar like this:

IMG_3712.JPG

And have done so since.

SR

• Like 2

6 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I think I have the exact same thing. I'm sure the "brand name" isn't the same, but we all know that doesn't matter with Chinese stuff. Once I started using it, my rough end grain disappeared.

That's good to hear. It certainly felt smooth routing out that neck pocket. But then it was brand new and and as sharp as it ever was going to be. Let's see how long it lasts.

SR

Two things happened this week that put a kink in my building plans. First, is my pickups have not arrived yet.I prefer to rout the neck pick up prior to glue up, so I don't have to work my template around the fretboard. I love my Klein pickups and have purchased many pairs over the years. They take a while to deliver. The website says 2-3 weeks is normal.....and I have had a couple orders deliver in that time frame, but 6-10 weeks is more common. Apparently, Mr. Klein himself, and only Mr. Klein is allowed to build them. And they ship them world wide.

And my bandsaw went kaput before I cut the neck pocket in the top.

So first I cleaned up the neck tenon and made a template for the pocket by taping together three pieces of polycarb with straight edges to frame the pocket and then drawing the body shape on it.

DSC04501.JPGDSC04502.JPG

I used that to locate the position on the top and traced the pocket onto it. Normally I would bandsaw the opening out just inside the lines, but no working bandsaw anymore, So I used my fretsaw and clamped a couple of polycarb blocks to form a saw guide.

DSC04498.JPGDSC04499.JPG

Then I glued some sandpaper to a small scraper for a sanding block and using a machinist's square to keep it the opening true, I finessed it to the proper fit.

DSC04504.JPGDSC04505.JPG

SR

• Like 2

It's so refreshing to see that the urge of building wins the lack of a power tool!

A pickup fitting to that hole would look killer! Individually wound pole pieces and all! Sort of a knuckle duster by the looks... But I can already see why it wouldn't work, not even for a bass: The outermost pole pieces would be too far. Making a six-piece version would also change the looks to the worse as the proportions would change. Yet this gave me some interesting brain gymnastics to start the day with. 🙃

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mattharris75 said:

Let us know how you like that Rikon, Scott. I've got that same Craftsman saw, and I'm sick of it.

Build is looking great, per usual!

You know, that Craftsman served me well for a long time......RIP.

Some initial observations on the Rikon. 1.75 HP seems smooth and powerful so far. It has a quick release for blade tension. Guide bearings are toolless. I'm not sure yet if that will turn into a pro or con. They are also spring loaded to push away from the blade. So you have to hold them in place and lock them tight enough to hold with a thumb screw. Fine adjustments might be easier if the bearing didn't have a spring pushing it away from the blade. The fence is very nice. All the factory pre-adjusted settings are spot on . It says 14" but the throat is 13.5", and re-saw capability is 13"......much more than my Craftsman at 6.75".

So far so good.

SR

17 hours ago, avengers63 said:

I know EXACTLY what you're feeling right now. I did my last bandsaw upgrade ever earlier this year. Yes, it's lots of fun. It's damn satisfying to have a high-end tool with all the bells & whistles to screw around with.

When I saw the notification I was thinking I remembered you got a Grizzly. And this answers my next question.

Gotta go find something to cut....

SR