4. Albert King

5. Warren Haynes

6. Al Dimeola

7. The Edge

8. Chet Atkins

9. John Sykes

10. Prince

• 11 months later...

When I first started playing in '87, I fell into the cliche choice for guitar heroes that most other players did at that time: Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Rhoads.

Since then, I've been able to think for myself rather than latch onto what the guitar mags tell me to like.

HENDRIX: He was good - there's no question about it. But was he great? I think his importance overshadows his ability. He was a radical departure from anything else available at the time and took the guitar in rock the same place Charlie Christian took it in jazz.

CLAPTON: White boy plays the blues... but that's about it. He has one thing he can do, and he does it as well as anyone ever has, but he doesn't do much more. I'm not cutting him in any way - I LOVE hes playing - I'm just saying he's a one trick pony. Angus Young is the same thing. And Bo Didley, Chuck Berry, and 99% of all metal players, including Hammett.

PAGE: He's clearly one of the greats. He's one of the few out there who can do anything, and do it well.

RHOADS: He wasn't around long enough to see what he could do in the long haul. His 1st album w/ Ozzy was tons better than his 2nd. And his tone was horrible.

Since those first few years, I've developed some ecclectic tastes. They're not out there with folks nobody has ever heard of, but they're all over the place: Rush, Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Iron Maiden, Andre Segovia, Los Lonely Boys, Maroon 5, Jerry Reed, 12 Girls Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band.

Sure, some of these guys/bands can only do one thing. I still like listening to Clapton and Metallica, though, so the one trick ponies are just fine so long as they're good.

I probably posted here before too...

But I'm taking a different approach to the guitar these days.

I've never really been into guitar heros. Give me an excellent rhythm player any day. I like musicians who know how to contribute to the overall sound, not wankers who are really only waiting for their next solo.

That said, probably the most influential musician on my own guitar playing is Martin Rev, from Suicide. Even though he doesn't play guitar.

Right now I'm working on capturing part of what he does (although he uses organs/synthesizers), using a single guitar to give the impression of several instruments. (My new band's a duo, that's why, link's below).

Other major influences: Lou Reed (obviously) and John Cale. I've been listening to a lot of Talking Heads lately -- love the cleanness of their guitars. And a lot of funk guitar too.

There are plenty of guitarists I appreciate though : I like Townsend a lot. Admire Page. Hate Clapton--think he was more interesting in the sixties, and wish he'd never sing. Like Keef a lot. Couldn't really name many recent guitarists, except perhaps Hotel from the Kills.

And speaking of which, I'd kill to have Wilco Johnson (Dr. Feelgood)'s tone. Find it too difficult to play with my knuckles though.

Right now I'm working on capturing part of what he does (although he uses organs/synthesizers), using a single guitar to give the impression of several instruments. (My new band's a duo, that's why, link's below).

I have a lot of respect for Ray Manzarek's recordings with The (original) Doors, especially as his basslines on the Rhodes were very "bass-player"-ish (?!) underneath all of the Hammond stuff. Definitely up there in "the list of musicians".

The first guy who inspired me to pick up a guitar is Chris Caffery of Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Savatage and his solo work. Something about seeing him play just spoke to me and made me want to do what he does.

After learning more about him I learned of Criss Oliva, and the same thing, just hearing him play made me feel like I needed to do that.

Others that are high on my list are

Alex Skolnick

Ted Nuggent

George Lynch

Django Reinhardt

Eddie Van Halen

My guitar hero is definitely Jimmy Page of Led zeppelin. I could never get tired of listening to his guitar lines. I believe that he has made some of the best rythms and solos of rock history. Aside from him there is also Stevie Ray Vaughn and the guys in the Beatles.

I love how everyone has David Gilmour in here. That's really a testament.

In addition, Brian May for sure, Alex Lifeson for sure, Jeff Kollman and Guthrie Govan. There are tons of great guitarists, and plenty of original ones. These four though, always make me shake my head with amazement.

Tom Morello and Vernon Reid. These two pushed me into exploring the "organized chaos of sound" aspect of guitar. To a slight degree, The Edge, but not for the guitar work, mostly for the delay work. Oh yeah, Niel Young. Taught me that you can solo on one note forever. Just make sure that it's presented properly.

Cheers

I'll make this simple.

1. Tommy Emmanuel: Seen him twice so far and he can play anything he wants to. He just lays it out on stage in front of everyone. This summer he'll have been playing guitar for 50 years!!! He fast, he's got style, he's got phrasing, he can improv. and he can write.

2. Emppu Vuorinen: From the scandinavian band Nightwish. He can shred with the best of em' but he knows when to stop. Everything he plays just goes with whatever song he plays. Everything he plays just makes sense and leaves me playing it over and over again.

Those of you who don't know him should check out this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gBCEXM9U8Z4

3. John Petrucci: He's amazing and he's so melodic and skillful. He can play everything fluently and he's got the speed, phrasing and writing skills.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2. Emppu Vuorinen: From the scandinavian band Nightwish. He can shred with the best of em' but he knows when to stop. Everything he plays just goes with whatever song he plays. Everything he plays just makes sense and leaves me playing it over and over again.

Those of you who don't know him should check out this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gBCEXM9U8Z4

Emppu is very tasteful, yes. Nightwish's cover of Floyd's "High Hopes" was awesome - Markko has an awesomely powerful voice and it translates to that song really well. The leads are phrased very well in "that Floyd way".

PS. Nightwish are Finnish, not Scandinavian - Scandinavia is traditionally Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Finland only tends to be termed as Scandinavia due to the long history associated with Sweden. Nordic however, would be correct as is covers Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland. I prefer the specificity of Finnish, especially as my wife is a Finn. :-D

PPS. I know their new singer Annette is Swedish, but as we all know, Nightwish were only Nightwish with Tarja :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am pretty amazed that in 5 pages James Hetfield has only been mentioned once and Dimebag twice!

I ain't a soloing person so for me Papa Het is without doubt my guitar hero - his rhythm work is pretty much the cornerstone of metal these days. Downstrokes away! :D

Dimebags rhythm work was also something else (equally his soloing) - do a search on YouTube for a guitar clinic he did a glimpse of a truly talented guitarist in his prime. I saw Pantera live at there peak supporting Megadeth on touring Vulgar Display of Power and I have to give Megadeth kudos for being able follow them on stage - an absolutely awesome live show.

These 2 had more influence on my playing than anyone else with an honourable mentions to Dave Mustaine, Kerry King, Dave Murray and Adrian Smith. :D