Emerald

daveq

Here's one of the last guitars from me for a while (I have one more almost done and then that's it for at least 8 months). This one is obviously styled as an Ibanez RG. I have had an RG550 most of my guitar life and wanted to build one as a tribute to it.

Here's a quick summary:

1. Two piece alder body with quilt top

2. EMG 81/SA/85 (B/M/N)

3. 5 position pickup selection switch (Schaller)

4. volume/tone - nothing fancy on this one

5. OFR bridge shimmed to about 18" radius

6. 10 to 16" compound radius ebony board with sterling silver inlay

7. Neck - birdseye/bubinga/ebony/bubinga/birdseye maple with flamed maple headstock (scarf joint).

8. Dunlop 6100 frets

The colors don't seem to match with what it looks like in person. It actually has a blue/green almost emerald appearance with a fade to black on the edges.

It has a mean growl to it - much different from my all maple guitars. I'm very happy with it.

emeraldangle1.jpg

pic2

pic3

pic4

B) HOLY CRAP :D me like

EDIT:>Man you've gota put that thing in GOTM!! Any progress pic??

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I think you are the most underrated guitar builder on this forum. From what i have seen, you make superb guitars, and judging by the way you continue to make them, i guess they must play at least decently well. Have you considered making guitars for customers? I would be interested in possibly commissioning some work from you if you would be interested, and when i have some money. Keep up the :D quality work. Neal

I would love to have you build me a neck anyday man if you ever start doing custom work for others, I just gota ask man how long have you been doing this for ??

Thanks for the comments. I'll take a look and see if I took any progress pics.

I've never really considered myself a GOTM kind of guy. I have mixed feelings about that. I also don't know if I can compete against some of the veteran builders who enter some amazing guitars.

The last 4 guitars that I have built play excellent. My first few were a bit of a mix of OK to not so good. The tiger guitar, the red quilt, and this one play great. I mainly play my tiger guitar but I have a feeling that this one will share a good amount of play time. If they didn't play as well (or better) as a factory guitar - I would not play them. I'm too picky about that stuff as I'm sure most of you are also.

I might consider trying to earn some money some day. I guess it would depend on what the customer wanted and definitely would not include finishing. I don't consider myself much of a finisher yet.

Thanks for the kind words. I'll be posting one more later this month and then that will be it for a while. Maybe I'll be able to post some sound clips after Christmas (depending on what Santa brings...)?

DaveQ

dave, thats an awesome machine! i think i have found my balance for guitars now, and so im not totally for floyds - the only thing id change on that guitar! i prefer the 2 1/16" string spacing of a wilkinson to the 2 1/8" of the floyd. thats the *only8 change id make, otherwise that thing is AWESOME!!!

That's the same strap that I have had for about 12 years now. I never really thought of it before but it does look like a book bag strap, doesn't it? It's very comfortable. I keep meaning to buy another so I don't have to swap them when switching guitars - I hope I can find one like that.

The 6100 frets are great. I used to use the stewmac equivalent (I think they are #150?) but I recently bought some Dunlop just to compare. I tried some lower fret wire in the past (#149) and had mixed feelings. I think I like the taller stuff mostly because I like to jump to a fret and bend without worrying about hitting wood. I guess if I had the control of Steve Vai, it wouldn't be an issue.

The string spacing issue - I actually like the wider spread. In fact, I use R4 nuts on all of the guitars that I build. The 1 5/8" (R2) is a little too cramped for me. Everybody has their own preferences though. It's a bummer that you have to give up Floyds due to the spacing. I'm a big Floyd Rose fan myself - love'em!

I'm heading down to plug in - see ya! :D

oh, i do love floyds lots! i opt for the 42mm nut - seems pretty nice for me, but i think i can get close to floyds with wilkinsons, considering i dont vai the trem too much, just dips etc... but occasionally i just love messing with a floyd till i get sore - the strings rarely break on me :D

What ? NO LED ????

LOL, just kidding here.... :D

When i saw your guitar, one word came to mind = STUNNING !!!!

absolutely gorgeous , daveq.

One question for you :

How thick is your quilt? is it a veneer or a top ?

im trying to locate a place where they sell quilted maple veneer and didnt found one yet, any help would be appreciated. stew mac is about the only place i saw a good quilted top, its about 1/8 thick if i remenber.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your inspiration and again, top notch work.

B)

Nice Dave, yet another great guitar. I can see a bit of the green color on the edges of the lower horn, but I love the blue that shows on the pics. I need to get my hands on some figure maple, I want to make somenthing like that for a top. I'm not big fan of flat tops, but the color really draws me in, That finish will look awsome on a 3D top.

swirlslave you cracked me up, No LED's , I thought the same when I saw it.

wes, don't kill yourself and finish that 7, a top like this will be a killer.

The top is 5/16". I actually like working with hard/curly maple better than the soft/quilted stuff. This piece had a very nice pattern so I couldn't possibly say no :D.

There actually is a good amount of green mixed in but the pics don't show it. I did a layered finish starting with blue and then added green. The black was the last step before clearing.

I'm not a fan of the neck binding look myself but I admit that it does look good on some guitars.

No LEDs on this one B). I did another guitar (pics soon) with LEDs and I just was burnt out on dealing with them. This whole guitar was actually a "while I'm at it" kind of thing.

Here's some more pics:

(no flash on this one)

emrldnoflash.jpg

pic b

pic c

pic d

The guitar is absolutely beautiful, but you don't need me to tell you that. :D

So, you leavin' us for 8 months, or just not building but playing, or just concentrating on the little one?

Hope your not leavin'. :D

Who's gonna help me tweak my rack? :D

PS, if you leave, I swear I'll...I'll...I'll build a HM Tele with a Floyd just to spite you!

Bwahahahahaa!!!!! :DB)

are you usin a flash cam?? that might be why it comes out bluer than its supposed to be, if so turn the flash off and take a pic, i for one would love to see the true color

EDIT: nvm... i just saw that those last pics had no flash, disregard this post

Edited by 1nf1d3l

WOW just WOW man I need to take a bite out of it, it's just that good!! great pics to they realy show off that wild top of your's