Your Favourite Ever Guitar

Alexander

What was/is your favourite ever guitar, and why? Because it played so well, looked great, or was a piece of crap that had sentimental value?

Do you still have it?

My favourite ever guitar is my 02 that I built myself last year - nothing comes close to being my "perfect guitar" because obviously I specced it myself and I know every nook and cranny of it. Before that though, my favourite was a metallic burgundy Charvel (don't laugh!) - set neck, pair of jackson humbuckers, Jackson FR thing, it just had the lowest action of any guitar I've ever had and it just screamed. Of course, then it became mighty unfashionable to play pointy-headstock guitars, so it had to go. Shame really.

For me, it's between a Zon Sonus bass I played at GC once, and A Modulus Genesis V.

I loved the color of the Zon: teal over black-epoxy-grainfilled swamp ash. It had Bartolini J pickups, and a sweet, complicated, warm and yet articulate tone unparalleled by any bass I've played.

(Closest pic I could find: http://www.dnsystems.com/bass/gfx/zon_sonus_L.gif)

The Modulus was great too: Birdseye fb, Quilt top, alder body, graphite and maple neck. Clear finish. It also had Bartolini J pickups, and while the tone wasn't -quite- as nice as the Zon, it had an amazing tone of its own, and the I liked the look much better.

(http://www.modulusguitars.com/v2/products/genesisbass/images/manualimage.jpg)

In fact, I've drawn some inspiration from playing the Modulus: gloss neck, 35" scale length, and the light maple look are all gonna be incorporated in my next bass (if my plans don't change -again-!)

my fav has to be my SG, its so crappy looking but it screams like no other. It's great cuz when my freinds see it for the first time they are like, omg dude thats so crappy how an you live with your self? Then I plug it into an amp and they are completely blown away. I like it so much because its not caught up in that "my guitar looks pretty, yours is flat black, and its not pretty and I have a huge ego about it" bull. If anyones wondering, its got no paint on it except the inside of the horns and the bottom side (bottom as if it was being played). Electronics- EMG 81-85 1 V.

Mine would have to be my Saga kit. Dunno why though. Its just a sh*tty guitar lol. But i love it to death and i wouldnt trade anything for it. Its gotta be the Seymour Duncan Distortions B)

Wow do i love that thing, its so sh*tty but awesome :D

guess its like that guitar that person had for 50 years, all reliced and he loves it? :D

Besides my MIM Strat, newly loaded with a sweet EMG-SA set, dark blue pearl pickguard, and Schaller locking tuners, I'd have to say this one Samick electric I played in a store down in Norman, OK about ten years ago. I can't remember the model name or number, but it was a neck-through double cutaway with a laminated maple-mahogany-maple-mahogany-maple neck with mahogany wings. Gold hardware, TOM, dual humbuckers with gold covers. Beautiful instrument. I've never seen one like it since, though I'll probably wind up building a copy of it as soon as I get out of school.

BTW, if anyone knows the model name of the elusive Samick, or knows where I can get one, lemme know!

well, i do love my little ibanez rg421.. it plays quite nicely. but when i finnaly get to building my first guitar, thatll probably take the crown away.

but the guitar i want the most would be a custom rhoads v made by abyss guitars or one of the comanys on here

my gretsch double cutaway duojet. its classy, beat to sht, but classy. its got a capacitor switch that lets you switch your tone between caps but i accidentally broke the solder on one so it only plays through one cap. i actually liked the broken sound better than the original sound so i never fixed it.

Well Iam going to have to go with It looked great with sentimental value it was an old Larrivee electric guitar RRhoads style with a Pearl White Zakk Wylde bullseye paint job, set neck, a singel Humbucker at the bridge/ DiMarzio, and a push pull volume/tone pot It was the first guitar that I worked for and payed for with my own my own money GOD DAM that thing looked good and $hit could she burn :D

but I was young and stupid and I saw this brand new B.C Rich gunslinger LOW END at that, but I had to have it so I went in to the store the next day and gave them my guitar as a downpayment and they saw me comeing, they gave me 50$ buck's CAN for it I thought this was a great deal and I gave it up so I went home with my brand new guitar and I pluged it in and with extream excitement I came down with the pick and when the pick hit the strings my heart just sank it sounded like $hit crappy ass $hit :D so I went back to the store the next day to get my deadly guitar back when they told me that they had just sold it and there was nothing they could/would do about it!!, and to this day I have never seen another one like, I dont think I have ever seen another Larrivee RRhoads style guitar at all B) ohwell

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Gotta be my Yamaha Pacifica 302. That's the kind shaped like a tele rather than a strat. This one has mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard and a cherry burst finish. Popped a li'l 59' in the bridge and added a second string tree to help get proper tension across the nut.

It's not the best guitar ever, and just last night I was reviewing the action on it and noticing that my neck needs some relief; however, it's the guitar that feels "natural" in my hands. My Godin LG is wonderful, too (and is newer and technically a 'better' guitar) but it's not replaced the Pacifica.

I guess in general, I'd have to say that the Fender Telecaster to me is still my favourite solidbody electric. There's something about it that you either "get" or you don't. I 'get' it, and I love it. :D

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Although my experience with various guitars has been somewhat limited,(Hey, I'm

just 17), I have plaved some Fenders, some of the nice Gibsons, and a few others.

So I will take this moment to brag about my axe.

I REALLY like my Ibanez SA160. It feels awesome, and is very comfortable at any position. It only has 1 humbucker, but I like the bridge pickup most of the time

anyway. I didn't expect the tone out of such a thin, lightweight guitar (Then again,

all I had before was a off-brand affinity strat copy). I was never looking at Ibanez,

(I was saving for something Gibson) the prospect of a $400 guitar at a pawn shop

like new for $175 just couldn't be beat.

All that to say: Sweet tone, Sweet feel, very comfortable.

My Ibanez RG770 that i bought for 250 bucks CAD.

I put a Parallel Axis trembucker in the bridge, a Cool Rail in the middle and a JB in the neck. I was working a guitar store when i bought the guitar so i bought all the pickups in the same day. I didn't realize that all the pickups were bridge models until after I had everything wired up. It absolutely screams.

Well, I'm more of a guitar Owner than player but I loved my old J-45 to death for every reason. Looks, sound, playability, etc. Then I bought a ESP LTD H-50 for $90.00 to take apart and try different wiring setups on 2 humbuckers. Then I tryed my hand at rewinding the pickups it came with and actually got one right! Put a Jackson in the spot where the one I screwed up went and fell head-over-heels in lust! The action, feel and sound are nirvana to me but the looks (flat black and beat to crap) really make me comfortable cause I don't have to worry about ANYTHING! Scratches would make it look better! I just finished a Tele 12-string with that complex Gotah bridge, SD STR-1 neck and SD STHR-1 bridge. Warmoth neck on a CRAP bubblegum body (red with gold hdwr.) and it shows promise. Might be my new #1.

• 1 year later...

lets see, my favorite guitar that i own would have to be my cheap import Kramer imperial fr404

it has the floyd rose tremolo, and is all stock right now being i spent money on another guitar to fix up.

i got this guitar becasause the gibson explorer was my ultimate favorite style at that time, then i saw this thing, 24 frets an a floyd?!? i creamed my jeans lol well i ordered it got it home really nice rock and metal tone can come outta this deal, plus it has a coil tapping spec so i can get a kinda explorer wiht a single coil tone haha its a little diffrent but i like it for clean tones.

i still havent bought a high end guitar, becasue im poor, and ill need about 2700 bucks for my dream gitstick.

this is a rick spec bc rich Stealth i still havent picked the color i would like, i was thinking a silver burst? nothing black, tired of dark colors myself..maybe neon green with hot pink dimarzios in it? oh yeah!

well im done lol thanks for reading

Big Matt :D

My favorite guitar would have to be my '84 gibson les paul studio...with the inlays taken out and filled in so only the 12 inlay is present, custom checkered paint (distressed to match the year), emg 81 and 89 (currently being installed along with a piezo pickup and preamp system), wilkenson ezlock tuners, dunlop straplocks, and a custom made bone nut.

0fdb52eb.jpg

...older pic of when it was still being worked on (notice the lack of bridge and nut), but you get the idea

Hmmm... Well of the guitars I own I gotta say it's my Hamer Standard... The SD's in there (59 and Custom 5) absolutely suit the guitar and my amp. It's so great... The sound is just perfect!!

My dream guitar: A Parker Fly... Tryed one yesterday at the shop for a good 30 minutes, holy **** that's a hell of a guitar! Unbelievable tone, playability, everything... Even the piezo is just GREAT! (heck it sounded really nice even in a Mesa)

the guitar that I love to gig with and never have trouble and it plays and feels great is a mij strat with rio grande muy grande pickups.

the other is my prs artist and a prs custom 22. I don't normally gig with the prs stuff.

the fender stuff just feels better on the gig.

the strat already have been dinged and scratch up and it feels comfortable and don't have to worry about getting another dent or scratch in it

a friend of mine past away and I picked up the strat and played it all day thinking of my friend so I don't think I would ever sell it I even put a sticker on it that has his name

[ KIK AND ASS MUSIC] now every time I play it I will think of a good friend

Edited by prs man

For some of the same reasons as someone said about thier Parker Nitefly, my favourite guitar would have to be my Parker Fly Classic. Like he said, it's one guitar I could NEVER replace with a build of my own. It's about as original looking as you can get without becoming ugly... and lastly... when i play on that neck i play about twice as fast as I can on anything else :D

Plus, I HATE tremolos with a pashion, however I do admit there's times that you just NEED one for a certain song (FEW times however). And the Parker gives me the hard-tail I love... but lets me have a tremolo when I need it.

And the piezo don't hurt much either.

Chris