One For Me

Since I don't have my router up and running so I am doing this one for myself with my small router.

This is a douglas fir middle with a spalted back and splated top.

I will seal this in truoil and do two humbuckers.

what ya think?

mainly an eye candy tease...

telemaple.jpg

http://www.bigdguitars.com/images/telemaple2.jpg

today was a horrible day, for various reason. don't ever go into the shop after hearing bad news... I ruined bandsaw blade cause I forgot to pull the screws out... doh

Awesome top! That's going to look really nice.

I'm curious how the douglas fir will sound. I've read somewhere in this forum about necks made from it. I was in Lowe's the other day doing some tapping on some DF, and every piece had a loud and long ring. Cool.

Hope all is well, don't let the bad news get you down.

Drak inspired me with that spanish cedar. Owl Hardwoods had some of this in for a custom job and who know what this will sound like...

The area of the wood by the brige was so much harder than the neck area wood. This should be fun to finish... will post more pics later this week

That's going to be a great looking guitar when it's done. I love spalt.

today was a horrible day, for various reason.  don't ever go into the shop after hearing bad news... I ruined bandsaw blade cause I forgot to pull the screws out... doh

Ouch. In a similar mishap, I tried to bandsaw through an invisible nail and ruined a blade last weekend. At least now I know what it's like to "feel" what a dull bandsaw blade is like. I hope that I don't make that mistake again.

Great looking guitar. Lots of charicter. Sorry to hear about the BS mishap, it happens to everyone sometime.

P.S. Doug Fir is nice. It is a great tone wood. It is a little brighter than some but as a neck wood is very strong and stable. You would be suprised how many seasoned builders that can use any wood they want. Use DF for their main personal guitar.

Peace, Rich

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys.

The finish is tru oil. and yes this was a beyatch to finish. I tested epoxy and truoil on some scrap and did not like the way either of them looked. I tried nitro and I was like I don't have that much time to spray 1000 coats...

the spalt sucked up sooooooo much truoil, almost more than I wanted... but now its somewhat stable.

I am going to use a tele humbucker bridge.

-Derek