Neck Pocket Too Long

araz

Hi folks,

I'm a bit embarrased to show you this but I cut the neck pocket too long. It should have ended about 3/4 into the pickup cavity (see photo) but it actually goes on another 1 3/8" :D Don't ask me how this happened because I'm not even sure myself... :D

The obvious thing to do is to fill it with a block of wood but I don't want to do that because it will not look very nice since this portion of the body will be visible. What to do?

Does anyone have an idea what to do with this extra pocket? Let me know, even if you think it's crazy.

On another note, you probably noticed that the binding is kind of big and deep. Well, you are right B) This time I know what went wrong. The router bit was not tight enough and slide down a bit and chewed-up more wood than I wanted. Anyways, I'm just planning on putting a big binding or ... any original ideas on this one ?

41guitar1.jpg

You could go all out and route it out to the bridge (since it doesn't look like you have a bridge pickup planned) and fill it with a nice laminated section of decorative wood. Just call it a happy accident. A laminate of the top and back woods running down the center might look good.

I did this on my first guitar, which got a blackburst/transblack finish on flamed maple. My stopgap solution, short of moving the neck/pickup (which may make the bridge placement look like complete butt, and not in a good way), was to inlay a matching piece of maple (top offcut), 'bind' the edges with some abalone, and inlay my initials there. Kind of a little on-the-body emblem. It's not perfect, but it's not terribly distracting, and would mess with the look less than a contrasting strip down the entire body.

As for the binding, I'd be tempted to carve all the way down to it (deeper carve), and fair the mahogany edge into the maple top. No binding, but a pretty distinctive look.

Chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on, don't go solid-color on it unless you actually like the solid color look.

There is a siple solution.

1.Get a piece of figured maple(this is veneer, but that's the kinda figure that you wan't), not lightly figured but 5A, small that it will fit between both pups and wide enough that it will be the width of the pups with out the ears.

2.Get 2 purfling strips

3.Take a look at this guitar and just do the same thing! It won't be the same because his is just inlayed, but it will look good and be strong enough.

Here's my two cents. Go with what mattia said, make it a DEEP carve, and if you do it right you'll end up with something like the Kritz guitars I'm always praising around here. Also, I'm in favor of taking say a big CONTRASTING color wood.... like ebony.... or purpleheart, and filing that in, then inlaying your "comapny" name or initials and make it like a "beauty mark" kinda like your signature on the guitar. Then people will think it's intentional.

Chris

PS: NICE body, I'm REALLY diggin' that, my kinda style to say the least.

Edited by verhoevenc

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I think I know what to do now. It's going to be weird but in a funnny way.

1. I will extend the neck by adding more wood to the neck tenon until the whole cavity is filled

2. I will make sure this extra portion is flush with the top (but does not need to be perfect on the sides because it will be hidden... just keep reading)

3. route the pickup hole (with the neck in the pocket)

4. now, over the extra wood (between the pickup and the bridge) I will place a short section of fretboard, frets and all, maybe 4-5 frets

It will look like the fretboard is one continous long piece starting at the nut and passing through the pickup. Like I said, weird but funny.

I'll try to make a mock-up of it tonight and post a photo and then decide if I'll go through with it or not.

What do you guys think?

Araz :D

another option to consider is to make a decorative wooden pickup surround in a contrasting wood that covers the hole.

A pickuard would IMO not go well with that body style. I think (since theres no really awesome or astounding grain pattern on the top) that you should do a solid color. Mabye some kind of pearl white with some cool pearl light grean lines or random shapes and stuff would look cool?

Edited by Godin SD

I agree with Maiden since I had to do the same thing once. Take a look at this guitar. If you look closely you can see the purfling strips in between the pickups. I was reading the ruler from the wrong end and added an inch of length to the cavity. I filled it in and found a piece of the same top wood and inlaid that into place. Then I added the purfling to make it look like I meant. I still have the guitar and get sompliments on the cool idea! It will look good if you do it right and your work so far looks like you definitely have the skills to pull it off.

I also think that if you added a bridge pickup it would look more like you meant it. And a bridge humbucker screams much better than the neck so you get some raunch in there as well. Just my $0.02 :D

Good luck!

~David

Looks like my extended fretboard idea was not a big hit. All for the best, the novelty of it wore out even for me after a short while.

Majority says purfling strips. I like the idea but I have never done an inlay before, besides the round fretboard inalys but I get the feeling those don't really count, so instead of buying expensive purflings I propose this...

The fretboard is purple-heart and I have a small piece left over which can serve the same role as the purflings (flush with the top). Also, I found some scrap pieces from the top that I can use to fill the hole, like David's guitar. I photoshoped this image, I think it looks ok.

This guitar was always supposed to have 2 pickups... just that I'm not sure where to place the bridge pickup, actually I want to place it under the 48th fret but haven't calculated where that is yet.

41guitar2.jpg

Araz

Edited by araz

The fretboard is purple-heart and I have a small piece left over which can serve the same role as the purflings (flush with the top). Also, I found some scrap pieces from the top that I can use to fill the hole, like David's guitar. I photoshoped this image, I think it looks ok.

Why didn't I think of that?!? :D:DB)

BTW; very nice carve on that. It has a nice flow.

make the 2 lines continue for the whole guitar!!! It would look great, especially with that (real nice btw) body style!

Nope, it will most definately not, I did it once here and I didn't like the way it liked the way it looked. Unless the strips are thick, it realy detracts from the guitar flowing lines.

And loudandproud and Hunter, if you read david's post, this is what I suggested on my previous post.

David, haven't seen you here in ages!!! Nice guitar BTW, I love that figured Limba, OMG, :D