Boss metal zone

jacksonsxrule

holy crap

the metal zone is the worse distortion pedal ive ever tried

just to make sure it wasnt the guitar, i broke out a les paul studio and a marshall amp at the local music store and tried this piece of crap out

the sound of this pedal is just awful

maybe it was good 20 years ago, but this thing sucks

and for 80 dollars? not in this life time

for good distortion which you can modify till the cows come home

and for only 20 dollars more, check out the zoom pedals

awesome distortion

and for you who already own the zoom 505 or 606, my fave setting is the G6 distortion....brilliance

the thing to realize about the zoom pedals is that alot of the distortion sounds are meant to sound the same..on different amps.for example...on a marshall amp the metal setting is perfect....but on a peavey combo,it takes the stack 2 setting to get the same exact sound.

at least that's the way my zoom driver is.

I have DS-1 and it is, as you say, bang for a buck. Mine is dead mint, not a single scratch. A friend of mine bought it for me in Italy 2 years ago. As for the MT-2... I don't know... My friends really like it, but then again... I like its sounds paired with my Ibanez and friend's JCM 800. Really Metallica-like sound from the '91 Black album. Chunky.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

i like my blues driver (BD-2), and the DS-1 is the best distortion pedal ever when used as a booster. i'm really happy with my boss pedals. :D

... DS-1 is the best distortion pedal ever when used as a booster.

When i used to use a couple boss pedals i used them 2 at a time for distortion (like one set as the pre distortion and one as the main drive) i've never found one pedal or amp alone that could get my sound i've always had to mix and match amps and pedals. My friend used to play alot of korn and he had a peavey POS amp, he liked the metal zone for that kind of sound... crap.. i've tried it though.. i really hated it too

The one thing I've found about those zoom multi-effect thingies is that they sound good while playing alone, they don't seem to cut the mustard (IMO) when playing with a band. They get lost.

I don't mind the Metal Zone, but I'm not really a pedal person. I'd prefer a nice amp.

I snagged an old Roland Double Beat off of a friend of mine. He he he. Its older than dirt, but has a nice thick, snappy sound. A fun peadle. Whistles really loud when you put the wah pedal all the way down.

:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Metal Zone Rules. i don't care what anyone says about it, none of you are going to change my mind about what i think about it. i picked mine up second hand for about AU$30, now that's a bargain. i use mine all the time, and it suits the music i play and like, very well. i love the chainsaw like tone i get from it. it seems as everyone else that does not like MT-2 listens to music that i don't like. so there you go, that's why you don't like it.

I have had both Zoom 505 and 606 pedals, and funny to say, i think they are both pieces of ****. i like the thought of a digital sounding distortion, but the Zooms just sound so weak. i think the sampling rate of the distortion output is pathetic. well just my opinion. :D

another thing i find funny is when people compare pedal distortion to valve amp distortion. it is kind like comparing a normal car to a rocket car. they both do the same thing, except one takes you to a place faster then the other. now you see, a pedal is a little PCB with transistors, an amp is a giant PCB or network of wires with valves. now they both do the same thing right, make distortion. just one sounds better than the other. of course the valve amp distortion is going to absolutely urinate on the pedal distortion, sound wise. as the rocket car is like 25 times faster than a normal car. and that's why you can't compare them.

Page.

Im actually part way through building a copy of the Ibanez Tube Screamer. just grab the schematics off the internet and just so long as you can make circuit boards and understand rudimentry electronics its not that difficult just to build it (understanding it is a little trickier lol)

when i get round to starting my guitar project im going to be doing a Fuzz Face clone which i'll actually be building into my project for some internal effects fun :D

I agree with Page, but i still don't like the sound of the Metal Zone. I grew up on Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Pantera, Fear Factory...all the heavy compressed distortion bands. I liked that sound, and back then when I listened to it all the time the metal zone was the ****. Now I don listen to that music anymore, and I play in a band where you fight for tone frequencies and that pedal sounds like **** now. I guess it sucks for blues and rock players, but for shred heads and metal heads (especially those playing by themselves at home), thats the sound they like and want.

I still have my DS1 floating around somewhere and it is a good distortion pedal, but mine's O.G. and it has that pause when you switch it, so for that it kinda sucks.

For a far worse pedal, check out that DOD death metal pedal. Bad. Very bad.

the metal zone is too harsh, and uuncontrolled for a decent pedal, tho some useful tones are obtainiable especially if its waay down in the mix, i dont use one, i use a digital korg, but the boss is okay for a starter pedal

the mt-2 metal zone is the first pedal i ever owned. i swore by it, until my musical preferences changed.

still, i use it every now and then. it's still good for two or three distortion sounds for me. i have no complaints with it, except for the noise that comes with the huge compressed distortion.

i have been considering to get a ds-1 myself. lots of used pedals are floating around here locally. no way i'm buying a new one since boss pedals are soooo expensive here.