How Do Pin Routers Work Like This?

i never understood how you can cut like this with a pin router. how can you just pust the wood into it and it will cut without kicking back or something? and how is this guy cutting the body shape by hand on that? it doesnt make sense to me. when ive tried to cut like that, it barley toutches and it kicks back without even cutting a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiJNwIPALs8

a pin router.... has a pin....

The pin acts like the bearing on a flush cutting bit, but it isnt attached the the bit, its attached the the router... if you know what i mean. A template runs against the pin, to cut the work to the same size as the template (or, you might have an oversized pin, and an under sized template, or visaversa).

... when ive tried to cut like that, it barley toutches and it kicks back without even cutting a little bit.

Use a sprial down cut bit.

i never understood how you can cut like this with a pin router. how can you just pust the wood into it and it will cut without kicking back or something? and how is this guy cutting the body shape by hand on that? it doesnt make sense to me. when ive tried to cut like that, it barley toutches and it kicks back without even cutting a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiJNwIPALs8

Just before he uses the pin router you should spot him screwing in the template to the rear which guides the movement for the route.

Awesome set of videos, just got done watching all 4 parts. You need to make a video like this Perry!

Mate, i bought two DVD quality cameras, and two tripods last year, with the intention of doing some videos. If i wasnt always in a mad rush to finish off each guitar for a special gig/tour/show, id be able to do the videos i planned :D

Awesome set of videos, just got done watching all 4 parts. You need to make a video like this Perry!

Mate, i bought two DVD quality cameras, and two tripods last year, with the intention of doing some videos. If i wasnt always in a mad rush to finish off each guitar for a special gig/tour/show, id be able to do the videos i planned :D

See now theres an idea, something different, you gotta get that hectic crud on film like a documentary...show the less appealing side of lutheringinging ...we all know the high glamour, women, affluence, travel and hobnobbing involved with pro luthiers, how bout the darker side :D

I actually tried to contact the american chopper crew to come visit me while they were here. Then i found out they left four months earlier... DOH!!

See now theres an idea, something different, you gotta get that hectic crud on film like a documentary...show the less appealing side of lutheringinging ...we all know the high glamour, women, affluence, travel and hobnobbing involved with pro luthiers, how bout the darker side :D

What dark side? :D

Well, instead of enjoying your B-Day today, why not get to work and start making us those entertaining videos. jk B)

Happy B-Day mate :D

on this episode of "American Luthier"

"Where's Perry"? :D

i know your from Australia......i really like american chopper.

American Chopper is cool, but I like 'Build or Bust' better. that would make for a great show on guitar building. Bring an amateur into your shop and give them a bit of guidance, and like 5 days to build a guitar, and see if they could pull it off. If they finish it and it's playable they keep it, otherwise Perry keeps it.

At the end of build or bust they have to do a burn out with the bike to keep it, you could have them plug into a huge stack and do a face melting solo to keep it. :D

Whadda bout ol' senior spokeshave? Any fans??

Totally, I love the spokeshave. I have a larger flat one and a smaller curved bottom. I also tend to grab the microplane a lot.

Those were cool vids, but man o man they are just riddled with unsafe shop practices and I am certainly not a prude. Holding the fretboard with his bare hands across the jointer almost made me puke. . . I watched someone loose three fingers doing that exact same thing after the thin piece took a dive into the cutter head.