Can-opener

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS...since we seem both to be otherwise "disengaged"...perhaps the two of us could start a company, call it Nosbig and make some decent new designs.

Well, I have one design down - the Avenger. I'd probably get sued over the Retrotron since it's just a scaled down Dano. I'll claim credit for Formica tops, though. You need to come up with a shape or two.

Maybe today I'll start up the body blank, just to keep you going. I might have enough ash to piece together a laminated center. If not, I have a good mahogany piece. I think the wings will be poplar. Maybe a poplar/maple combo.

Maybe today I'll start up the body blank, just to keep you going. I might have enough ash to piece together a laminated center. If not, I have a good mahogany piece. I think the wings will be poplar. Maybe a poplar/maple combo.

My wood suggestions include:

Use the pallet runners nice wood is shipped on.

plywood stolen from a garbage bin.

used counter top from habitat for humanity.

Hey, I'd never seen a corvus before and wasn't even aware of them. Pretty amazing, it looks like some of the attempts at ergonomic guitars, but without any thought to ergonomics. The thing that I find amazing is that even the guys on Harmony Central don't give them good reviews. :D .

However, if you chop the headstock off and sit with a foot stool like a classical player, it might balance ok. Well, if you could get that concave curve on the bottom to hook over your left leg. . . .

This thread reminds me of that Eric Hoffer quote everyone paraphrases, "Nonconformists travel as a rule in bunches. You rarely find a nonconformist who goes it alone. And woe to him inside a nonconformist clique who does not conform with nonconformity."

Anyway, Kudos Avenger, for being brave enough to build what appeals to you. I think it'll look cool hanging on the wall. Kind of like a fantasy novel battle axe.

My wood suggestions include:

Use the pallet runners nice wood is shipped on.

plywood stolen from a garbage bin.

used counter top from habitat for humanity.

I actually gave SERIOUS consideration to using construction-grade pine from the lumber yard. The whole thing is ridiculous anyway, so I thought "This'd really set 'em off... let's do it using the cheapest crap possible!" Then I reconsidered and came back to my senses.

BUT... if I had some nice clear 8/4 pine, I might go for it. The only real reason pine isn't used is because it's too soft. Hmmmm. Maybe a call to the lumber yard is in order.

Gibson Corvus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gibson Corvus

Manufacturer Gibson

Period 1982 — 1984

Designer Anonymous

Construction

Body type Solid

Neck joint Bolt-on

Woods

Body Alder

Neck Maple

Fretboard Rosewood

Hardware

Bridge Fixed

Pickup(s) 1 or 2 Humbuckers, or 3 single coils

Colors available

Silver, yellow, orange,

The Gibson Corvus was a short-lived series of guitars produced by the Gibson Guitar Corporation in the mid-1980s. It featured a solid body with an offset V-cut at the tail, which led it to be colloquially known as the "can opener" guitar. Also, if the guitar is turned sideways it looks as if it is the shape of a crow in flight. This is fitting, corvus being the Latin for crow.

The Corvus was sold in three model variations:

* Corvus I - one humbucker pickup, volume, and tone knob.

* Corvus II - two humbuckers, volume, and tone knobs.

* Corvus III - three single coil pickups, a five-way switch, one volume, and one tone knob.

An upscale Corvus with a set rather than bolt-on neck was marketed under the name "Futura" (not to be confused with the Explorer prototype).

The Corvus was one of several new models which was designed to renew interest in Gibson guitars, yet it was discontinued after two years due to poor sales.[1] The Corvus is featured in the video games Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II and Guitar Hero III.

Notable Corvus players

None

if the guitar is turned sideways it looks as if it is the shape of a crow in flight.

Hmmm....I don't see it...no matter which way you turn it it looks like a POS to me...and in a stroke of marketing genius, Gibson thought the most appropriate colours for to offer the thing in was anything other than black...clearly had never seen a raven, nor had any conception of good guitar design nor the desires of their customers. I can only imagine that this thing was used in GHI,II,III as one of the few guitars they wouldn't require royalty payments for use as to no one would own up to it...let alone design it!

Anyway, Kudos Avenger, for being brave enough to build

Now there's a good guitar name...the Avenger Kudos...now all you need to find is a guitar design...this clearly being neither guitar nor Crow...and we all know what happened to the actor who played The Crow...

The Crow stars Brandon Lee, in his final film, as Eric Draven, a rock musician who comes back from the dead to avenge his own murder, as well as that of his fiancée. While filming in the closing weeks of production, Lee was killed when a dummy bullet, which had become lodged in one of the guns, was fired into his abdomen.

Be afraid, very afraid! In my dictionary, the Corvus is latin for Cursed!!!!!!!!!

Formica...hmmm, I think reverend might have something to say...book him Dano!

pete

BUT... if I had some nice clear 8/4 pine, I might go for it. The only real reason pine isn't used is because it's too soft. Hmmmm. Maybe a call to the lumber yard is in order.

It's winter over there....pine burns quicker!

Edited by psw

I think it'll look cool hanging on the wall. Kind of like a fantasy novel battle axe.

Thanks for that. lmao

BTW, Formica tops have been done before.

http://www.joesguitars.net/

The Diner model.

IF you did this guitar headless, and IF you coolify it with an all black scheme or something, and IF you put in some futuristic electronics and cutting edge p'ups, and IF you change the shape of it . . .it could be OK.

He may have done it, but I had no knowledge of it at all. I modified the principle that Dano used and did the rest on my own.

Don't worry about it...it's a good idea (and food scraps slide right off it!)...but not even teflon coating would help this thing... :D

Now here's an original idea...velco backed guitar. That's right...no more balance problems regardless of the shape, just wear a woolly jumper and stick it on (no strap required)...perfect for you winter. :D Call it the strapless!

Edited by psw

Not enough support. It'd just twist the wool jumper. How about one of those hernia belts with suspenders that all the out of shape guys at Lowes and HomeDepot wear. You could have square peg on the front of it that could slide into a recess cut in the back of the guitar,. Just pull the guitar against your belly to put it on, push off . . . it'd even hold it at the right angle :D

How about one of those hernia belts with suspenders that all the out of shape guys at Lowes and HomeDepot wear.

You got big guys in suspenders in open public! The USA is more open minded than they let on... :D

Ok...how about a suitable cavity, take a little blue pill and hold your guitar up for a good four hours (not recommended for people with high blood pressure, always seek medical advice before gigging) :D

Seriously funny stuff there, Pete.

Serious nothing...if you hack that body blank into anything remotely resembling a corvus, I will have to attempt to hack into the spam filter so that such things don't corrupt the younger members here!

Did I type Corvus...I meant to type ****us...ah, that's better...the spam filter is already starting to recognize this devils work...

pete

PS...since we seem both to be otherwise "disengaged"...perhaps the two of us could start a company, call it Nosbig and make some decent new designs.

You have corrupted me :D I think this is a really cool design. no idea such a thing existed. I'm looking forward to the progress on this build. I'm really curious as to how it will turn out.

Cheers

Final voyage : SS CORVUS

On 23 February 1945, Corvus departed Garston near Liverpool bound for Plymouth with a cargo of 1,800 tons of coal, with Alexander Wallace as captain, carrying a crew of 22 plus a DEMS gun crew of three British Royal Navy gunners. She changed convoy at Mumbles, and left Mumbles Head on the morning of 26 February to join Convoy BTC 81 near Scarwater Lightship.[3]

At 10:15 BST on 27 February, the convoy was attacked by two German U-boats, U-327 and U-1018 about seven miles from Lizard Point, Cornwall (at [show location on an interactive map] 49°55′N 05°22′W / 49.917°N 5.367°W / 49.917; -5.367).[4] She was hit by a torpedo launched by U-1018 which ripped her starboard side open, causing her to develop a heavy list and sink within minutes,[3] resulting in the death of four of the freighter's Norwegian crew, the Latvian stoker,[5] a 16-year old British cabin boy, Thomas Boniface,[6] and two of the Royal Navy gunners, Dennis Baker[7] and former professional footballer Charlie Sillett.[8][5]

In an insensitive move, a guitar of the same name was commenced only 3 days after the anniversary of the ill fated and some say cursed SS Corvus tragedy.

One may note that in the original incident, both of the two Nazi U-boats, were avenged[63] by being sunk with the loss of all hands. In the fog of war, such things happened but one can only imagine the consequences of such a move in peace time by a misguided guitar builder!

Cursed I tell you!

How about one of those hernia belts with suspenders that all the out of shape guys at Lowes and HomeDepot wear.

You got big guys in suspenders in open public! The USA is more open minded than they let on... :D

Ok...how about a suitable cavity, take a little blue pill and hold your guitar up for a good four hours (not recommended for people with high blood pressure, always seek medical advice before gigging) :D

Ahhhh, now it makes sense why they keep sending me those e-mail links to discount "little blue pills". It's because I play guitar . . .

You know, if Avenger builds the guitar you're describing, we'll need and emoticon like this : B) but with this face : B)

oh, and in the south, suspenders are business casual attire.

Don't waste the nice piece of pine.

You know Ibanez uses basswood and it is soft as crap too...

You know there is a cult of dudes who only build Pine Telecasters somewhere just north of Nashville...

At some point you might have to play this POS... cause you won't be able to sell it. And if you play it you might like it. Then we will all have to stop answering your threads cause you will be afflicted with neckdiveitis and pisspoordesignaphoma and none of us will want to catch it.

Man, I am just lovin' all o' y'alll. You're killin' me with these comments.

I did a little more tweaking of the template today. Most of my time was spent on the walnut nightstand/cabinet. I don't know if I'll be able to do anything at all tomorrow, and we're going on an anniversary trip this weekend, so this might be the last bit of Corvus love y'all get 'till Monday.

wip04.jpg

Corvus Systems was a technology company founded by Michael D'Addio and Mark Hahn in 1979 and located in San Jose, Silicon Valley in the U.S.. Corvus was a pioneer of the early days of personal computers, producing the first harddisk drives, data backup, and networking devices, commonly for the Apple II platform.

Corvus went public in 1981 but was only a moderate success in the stock market. In 1983 Corvus filed for Chapter 11 and "crashed". Its demise was partially caused by the lack of appreciation for standards such as Ethernet, and partially by mismanagement such as purchasing a PC clone company when there were too many clones being made and very few clone companies making money.

Interestingly, Gibson Guitars used the name for a guitar model shortly after the Corvus Systems collapse and similarly through mismanagement and poor design failed with losses, the esteemed company surviving only through unexpected resurgence of their Les Paul models popularity notably in the hands of guitarists such as Slash of the band Guns'n'Roses.

Unfortunately, although this model is cursed, one independent maker in march, 2009 tried to recreate interest and ignore the corvus curse". As of this time, the "project" has been delayed and it is hoped that after some time away to think about it before he too is struck by the obvious dire consequences of such a folly.

See Also: SS Corvus (above)

See Also: The Crow: the death of Brandon Lee

It's not looking good for this project, but it's not to late...save yourselves!

I think this is a really cool design. no idea such a thing existed. I'm looking forward to the progress on this build. I'm really curious as to how it will turn out.

So yet another guy is guitaretarded?

But seriously, I agree the design doesn't flow alround, but some minor changes might make for something very interesting. Somehow I find the design a bit cute not exactly sexy. Same with for instance the old DAF cars, (the ones that could go backward same speed as forward and both ends did indeed look almost the same) they aren't drop dead gorgeous, not even close yet I love them!

I'm studying design and engineering, and can tell you that a lot of extremely ugly things go at extremely high prices! (example: http://style.oversubstance.net/wp-content/...nautilsnekb.jpg I'm not sure but I believe they go at 30 000 euro's a piece!) Tastes simply differ! Who knows, maybe in ten years we'll all love the Corvus design (with the necesarry changes of course).

But seriously, I agree the design doesn't flow alround, but some minor changes might make for something very interesting. Somehow I find the design a bit cute not exactly sexy.

I'm studying design and engineering, and can tell you that a lot of extremely ugly things go at extremely high

Hmmm....design student. Well there is taste, and then there is function. Don't they teach in design school function...I mean, you can make a bad coffee cup, but anyone who designs a leaking kettle or a coffee cup that dribles down your shirt front every time you take a sip will either soon be calling themselves and "performance artist", unemployed, or both! (although, maybe you'd be snapped up by the gibson guitar team for their new innovative desings for the new century!).

corvus4.GIF

A corvus (meaning "crow" or "raven" in Latin) or harpago (probably the correct ancient name [1]) was a Roman military boarding device used in naval warfare during the First Punic War against Carthage.

In the 3rd century BCE, Rome was not a naval power and had little or no experience in war at sea.

Despite its advantages, the boarding bridge had serious drawbacks: it could not be used in rough seas since the stable connection of two working ships endangered each other's structure. Operating in rough seas, the device became useless and was abandoned.

Some other historians believe that its weight on the prow compromised the ship's navigability and the Romans lost almost two entire fleets to storms in 255 and in 249 BCE, largely due to the instability caused by the device. These losses were probably the main reason for the abandonment of the boarding-bridge in ship design by the end of the war. As Roman naval tactics improved and the Roman crews became more experienced, the boarding-bridge was no longer used in battle. It is not mentioned in period sources after the battle of Ecnomus and apparently the Battle of the Aegates Islands that decided the first Punic war was won without it.

Despite the long running curse of all things corvus, gibson guitars built a model of the same name to no success abd it is remembered in the computer games GH I, II and III as clearly it is only in a twisted virtual reality that anyone would attempt to play one and it's flaws be overcome. Australia was almost destroyed buy earthquakes and cyanide laden meteors, raging fires and earthquakes as nature sought to stop further reproduction of the device. (see avenger63, The curse of the Covus made me do it, 2009)

In the third Punic War, the romans enacted the Carthaginian Solution which involved the complete destruction and genocide of the Carthage race and culture. Perhaps a "covus solution" is required in the case of this particular guitar as a means to modify it.

Cursed...

Wow, this is getting more "cease and desist" orders than my MDF V

Honestly, that's a pretty ugly design. But I've seen uglier. Has anyone seen the spam guitar? Or that guitar that people were photoshopping with Joe Satriani playing it, where it was being sold on E-Bay, and the person claimed to work on the scroll on the upper horn for months, and to have placed the pickup at the exact octave spot(something like that) and it was being nicknamed "The Poop guitar" on several forums besides this one, and someone bidded 100,000 on it? I think it was pulled. But if no one remembers it, forget everything I just said :D

2qd50mw.jpg

metz ... son #3 wants to know, did you spray the pickups and pick-guard? He likes ... a lot!!

pete ... my computer with Paint Shop has died ... but I can't look at this guitar without seeing a map of Australia! If I chop from the neck pickup to the top of the humbucker it will be a stylised Oz guitar.

Although, the scale and frets will be stuffed :D

:D