If You Beat A Corvus With An Ugly Stick........

* Teaser disclaimer *

I have not taken pics yet.

It has a very unique neck setup, body shape and execution.

Its a Padouk body and a rosewood neck/board. 24 medium frets, 2 humbuckers/3 way and tuners on the body, not unlike John's Corvus ( Avengers63 ) .

I started off with an idea - same thing that makes me build most guitars - and built this around the neck setup. The body started off as a full-size and ended up being shaped into 'functional' , instead of 'expected'....... I ended up with something that resembles an ugly corvus. an ugly, organic corvus. that melted in a fire. :D

but its comfy as heck to hold.

That is all for now.........

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have pictures it has never ever hapened...

**** it - i promise to build a corvus style instrument most people that actually play guitar (or bass) like within the next year. i think its possible,, i think its definitely conceived - its just a case of putting a working design out there!

if i dont, please call me a twat - it is within your rights to do so!!!

It is categorically impossible to improve on the magnificence that is the Corvus.

how so?

You did it. :D The tuners should've always been down there......

and beleive me, I never intended to make a Corpus, it just worked out that way... I looked at it after the shaping and...... :D I had made an ugly version of a funky guitar.

no pics till its ready. its bad enough to look at, let alone with pencil marks and rasp gouges.......

Just build a Marauder!

A Les Paul with a pick guard???? lol..... they even had bolt-ons i think!!

and FF - nice use of proper southern english in your spelling. :D

I've gotten quite a bit done on this concept build in only a few days. I'd be done, but the mum-in-law is in town and i have to entertain her and the Mrs. as well.......

but, neck is shaped, body too, it has a new guitar feature called S T F U . (String Tension Forgiveness Unit) :D

I only need to rout the pups and controls today and fret the board, then I'll probably put up some pics. Yesterday it was looking a lot like an instrument when I turned out the lights......

Actually.... this thing is starting to grow on me... ( I've been looking at it for a couple of hours a day for a week or so now... )

I now officially like its shape and declare it a masterpiece. :D

You are still free to declare it a disasterpiece. :D

I have the neck all fretted and oiled up. its some variety of Rosewood, or at least thats what I was told. Its a nice hard, smooth board, whatever it is. The padouk is now smothered in black epoxy for pore-filling purposes.

Will be sanding it off tomorrow and proceed from there.Here are the first teaser pics ...

Neck

IMG_0401.jpg

Back of the neck

IMG_0403.jpg

... and some shots of the body. covered in black epoxy

IMG_0405.jpg

and almost a full reverse side shot.

IMG_0406.jpg

taken from enough of an angle to not let all the beauty of this design out just yet....... B)

The body with the epoxy looks like a monster ate a guitar body and then vomitted it back up. But then again, I haven't beheld its full beauty yet. The grain on the back of the neck is nice and interesting. Looks similar to the fretboard wood I am using on my tele.

Untrue. A Latin, crow is "Cornix" despite the genus being Corvus hence the common misunderstanding. It's true that the collective noun for crows is "a murder of ..." whereas Ravens are an "unkindness of ..." which is even more fascinating!

*puts hat on again* :D

<edit: I realised that it is an "unkindness of Corvi"! How appropriate that the collective noun implies the unwelcomeness of these "things" also.>

Edited by Prostheta

I musta missed that episode of Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood....... :D

anyway... the epoxy was a terrible, great idea. It made all the pores full and smooth and a nice black in contrast to the Padouk. but.... it also highlighted every single scratch, divot and wobble. :D

This is viewed by me as terrible, but good. It caused some extra work for me, but its work that needed to be done to make this a looker...... if I'm going to carry this thing to the finish line, its going to be worth it. The extra work to smooth out all the imperfections will make it THAT much better in the end.

even with the extra removal to do- its a great technique for pore filling, and I'm glad I picked it up.

Now to see how good I can get it to shine........