Rhythm King

John, the wenge background looks awesome. And if even I never saw that....I'd say the scroll saw work is outstanding. You set the bar very bloody high for scroll saw excellence.

SR

+1

Man I am doing a bad job of telling you how awesome these look... they are awesome!

Thanks.

Hey... if you feel like you're doing a bad job of inflating my ego, then all I can say is to keep practicing. I'll let ya know when it's big enough. :D

I'm really looking forward to my next big scroll saw project: all 32 NFL logos in 5x5 squares, framed and grouped by division. Someday I gotta get around to working on that chess set.

Yes I did use the scrollsaw to do intricate cutouts, that's the primary reason I bought it in the first place, it just so happened that the one I bought was strong enough to cut out bodies as well, but what I was doing with it is sort of very different than what you're doing.

What I would typically do is use the natural squiggly-ass edges of bookmatched burl pieces and use their own natural outline as the cutout guideline then inlay them into another piece that was cut at the same time underneath of it, so you would (typically) be cutting 4 pieces double-taped together and stacked simultaneously.

Beautiful work John, you should be quite proud, I love the inlays! :D :D

Today:

template for inlays cut from hardboard

thin w/b bindings laminated

w/b bindings glued/laminated in f-holes

top binding channel cut

thin w/b/w/b binding glued/laminated onto top

maple/walnut/maple veneer pinstripe glued onto bottom of fretboard

Thanks Drak. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they turn out once the board is radiused and oiled. We can see the potential now, but that's when they'll really pop

wip26.jpg

I'm giving serious consideration to scrapping this body entirely. I'm not liking the way the veneer isn't completely flat in two places. I'll be leaving it alone for a while to mull it over.

INspiration finally hit me this morning ob what to do with the veneered body. I'm going to level out the uneven bits, using epoxy as Bondo if need be, and paint it white. With the cocobolo accents and w/b/w purfling, it should be quite stunning.

I'll be putting 3 or 4 old Teisco s/c surface mount pups on it, along with a piezo. I'll be making new pup covers from cocobolo, along with the bridge, binding, pick guard, and fretboard. I'm considering making this a 12-string, but you know how I change things along the way.

I'm experimenting with dyes for the sunburst this week on a piece of cutoff from the top. It's long enough that when the colors don't work out just right I can run it over the jointer instead of sanding it all off. It's a hellofalot faster!

The main forseeable problem with hand rubbing the dyes is the grain. Longhi has some big grain pores. During the sandback/blending, the darker dye in the pores is showing up as little lines. We'll just have to see how it turns out on the test piece.