Searls Guitars Build Thread

demonx

I'm not at all experienced and have never installed a Floyd nut but I would probably cut it to depth with a fret cutting saw and then chisel the remaining block out, leaving it high as stated and then gradually bring it down to size. With a sharp chisel it should be easy enough. In my mind It would be easier than having to setup a jig for the router and you avoid the risk of the router slipping off balance.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not anywhere near as experienced as Wes, but routing out the initial shelf before radiusing the board has worked well for me on the few replacement boards I've done on a couple of my Ibanez RG's. I adjusted down with a file that's been ground down on the side so that it doesn't cut into the fretboard side... Good method for the mathematically challenged :D

I think I've only ever seen it done as the shelf method. Certainly all the Floyd equipped guitars I've ever owned were done like this. Demonx's would be the first time I've seen it done the other way.

My current build is getting a Floyd, and I routed the shelf after the fretboard was radiused but before the back of the neck was carved. That way the neck had a flat back to attach to a reference surface that the router was able to follow as well. The trickiest part is setting up all the guides and fences so that the cut is perpendicular to the neck centre line. I imagine if I were to make this more of a regular thing I'd devise some kind of jig to make setup repeatable and easier.

I can see it now - in years to come, people saying "He only makes CNC guitars, just pushes a button and a guitar pops out!"

At least I can say I have actually handmade guitars like this with no CNC and no paint to cover up any errors!

People do have a completely erroneous perception of what a CNC does and does not do.My opinion is that if you are choosing the blanks by hand,seting it up to the proper grain orientation,setting up the CNC,and finishing up the guitar by hand,then all the CNC is doing is relieving some of the tedium and letting you focus on the important parts.

Like Wes said.

You guys have seen my threads. There is very little magic in a CNC.

A CNC can not make a multi laminate neck blank. CNC machines can not bookmatch a top with an invisible seam.

Even if you use one to carve a neck who does the final sanding and clean up. Also who drew the CAD and toolpathed the cuts. Hard work. Sometimes not even worth the extra work over doing it by hand.

I don't really see why some guys get so worked up about custom builders using CNC machines. Seriously why does it matter how the body gets it's shape roughed in as long as the final product is a quality build. It sure as hell doesn't matter to the wood...

BTW Sam is a lucky dude... that's a sharp axe!

Edited by Sancho Marino

Those are awesome looking builds.

The only thing i dont like is the cavity cover shape.

That'll be different next year- I have an idea I've never seen done on a guitar before.

As soon as I messaged the owner of this one that it was ready he jumped in his car and came to collect - lives about 1.5hrs away.

1452427_553389778076194_2047661572_n.jpg

It played quite well. I have a torn shoulder at the moment so can barely move my left arm, but to the best of my ability I played it while setting up and it was great. This run of guitars are some of my best ever, I'm quite happy with the way they've turned out and the owner seemed very happy. He couldn't wait to get home and play it. I had him plug it in whilst here and asked if he wanted any adjustments made before he left, he wanted nothing changed.

Sam, (the owner) has also said he'll be writing a review, so I could share that if you want a non builder opinion.

I agree, this has been one of your best runs, that you have shared with us anyway. You may have other ideas, but I'm starting to see this particular style as a signature for you. Much like Brett has done, I can look at these and recognize them as a Searls build at a glance.......without reading the headstock.

Very nice. Do share the non-builder opinion, I love to hear those.

SR