tele for a cop...

32 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Congrats on the win Mike! This thing is loaded with sweet details. I hope the cop appreciates all the time and effort you put into it.

SR

Thank you scott.  I love the fact that you refer to him as "the cop"... i'mma start doing that to him!!  lol.  I hope the cop likes it too... the b-tard.  He bought a case off amazon and had it delivered to me but they used a 'washing machine sized' box... further it's a gator case and there is like 3-4" of space between the horn and the bridge for the neck... so as is the guitar was moving to/fro while in the case with the lid secured!  odd, because my tele is about 1/2" thicker than a standard tele... but then I guess you don't want pressure on the neck either.  Rolled up a towel and was able to secure the guitar, cut the box down and rolled up the case into the cardboard... just need to get some measurements, an estimate, and get it in the mail.  I'm honestly very excited to have my work evaluated by another guitar player in person... doesn't happen for me ever so... totally worth the work for that (and also getting out of several envisioned speeding tickets by namedropping my buddy - hehe - jk).  where was i... oh yes, -thank you - means a lot to me!!

4 hours ago, mistermikev said:

Thank you scott.  I love the fact that you refer to him as "the cop"... i'mma start doing that to him!!  lol.  I hope the cop likes it too... the b-tard.  He bought a case off amazon and had it delivered to me but they used a 'washing machine sized' box... further it's a gator case and there is like 3-4" of space between the horn and the bridge for the neck... so as is the guitar was moving to/fro while in the case with the lid secured!  odd, because my tele is about 1/2" thicker than a standard tele... but then I guess you don't want pressure on the neck either.  Rolled up a towel and was able to secure the guitar, cut the box down and rolled up the case into the cardboard... just need to get some measurements, an estimate, and get it in the mail.  I'm honestly very excited to have my work evaluated by another guitar player in person... doesn't happen for me ever so... totally worth the work for that (and also getting out of several envisioned speeding tickets by namedropping my buddy - hehe - jk).  where was i... oh yes, -thank you - means a lot to me!!

<_<

Well, you know.....the title.

SR

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Totally! The number of difficult aspects in this build alone make it stand out. I second @Andyjr1515's words of "well-deserved".

So, how many more have you got tabled right now? 😄

Yeah...I'm interested in that too.  The timing of me finishing my ebony 335 is now totally dependent on avoiding Mike's next entry :lol:

• Like 1

That's pretty much my take as well. Combining that with a number of techniques that are difficult to pull off individually....that bend in the top is worth the price of entry alone. I was reminded of Brian Moore guitars because of that. I know Warwick do similar things themselves, but often that's just milled in rather than bent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Totally! The number of difficult aspects in this build alone make it stand out. I second @Andyjr1515's words of "well-deserved".

So, how many more have you got tabled right now? 😄

thank you prostheta... orange you glad I only did one gotm this year?  run out of colors pretty quick (hehe).  well I gotta admit the bug has me right now!  I have the sister build, was working on the neck last night... have my orig one where I cracked the top and managed to save it... but I'll prob just leave that sit for a bit.  have the 'fish on' hope to resume that next... then I'm gonna build a lp style... and I've got a couple friends who want me to build something - but I told them right now I got to get back to my own bucket list... maybe corall one of them into a lp style.  so many things I really want to build tho... at some point i'd love to attempt a real hollowbody like a country gentleman or byrdland or falcon... but I gotta remember to enjoy the ride.  slow down... enjoy the process.  life is too short!!

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yeah...I'm interested in that too.  The timing of me finishing my ebony 335 is now totally dependent on avoiding Mike's next entry :lol:

awe shoot (blushing) clearly don't have anything to worry about with your builds but I appreciate you sayin' so!!  So many good builds on the horizon right now... prostheta's, scottr's, ad's... mathias... komodo... really a lot of talent around here I can't even name a third of it.  I think I've felt this forum growing given all the newer members we are seeing and great build threads too.  I mention this place a lot elsewhere just cause it's really such a special place.  Don't see a lot of the harshness you might see elsewhere.  We don't have an "inner crowd" that makes outsiders feel like they aren't welcome and that is pretty unique.  It's nice that I have found a home here and y'all have welcomed me so - really appreciate it (I know what yer thinking... we welcomed you?  oops!).    

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Between you, Mike and Scott it's a real minefield!

tru dat!!  I honestly felt I nervous about posting mine cause those bombs (including your ow) gonna drop sooner or later - but then it'd be an honor to loose to any one of ya.

27 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Nice one Mike, it always amazes me how you manage to take a design that has been done to death and completely reinvent it into something unique and spectacular, a real innovator. 

that means the world to me ad.  very generous of you to say.  just trying to listen to my heart over here but I very much appreciate that comment.  I'll try not to read too much into it.  thank you!!

23 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

That's pretty much my take as well. Combining that with a number of techniques that are difficult to pull off individually....that bend in the top is worth the price of entry alone. I was reminded of Brian Moore guitars because of that. I know Warwick do similar things themselves, but often that's just milled in rather than bent!

thank you prostheta - can't say enough: couldn't have done it without each and every one of you guys lifting me up.  

I had forgotten about brian moore guitars until someone mentioned them recently... and I have to admit they had a store on the rock walk on sunset and I remember really being impacted by seeing his stuff.  Idk if subconsciously it was sitting there guiding me... but i've always thought the inspiration for radius tops came from my love for the spector stuff.  the first time I played a real ns2... my head exploded.  just left such an impression on me how comfy that was.  I hadn't thought of wether brian moore bends his tops but I guess i can't imagine how else he'd do it.  great company to be in if I may humbly lay inspiration there.

Careful about blowing too much smoke up our own asses man 😉 

The bottom line is we can be judged by the work we do and the problems we surmount to get to the finish line. Generally everybody helps everybody here, however it takes the builder to make use of that and make it all happen. I rarely reach what I would call a finish line, purely because I enjoy the process and refining technique as opposed to ending up with a guitar at the end of it. Which is pretty weird. I suppose people that go out on runs don't always do it for the medals, if that analogy works.

I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from the client. That should be a cool slant and a nice bookend on this project! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Careful about blowing too much smoke up our own asses man 😉 

The bottom line is we can be judged by the work we do and the problems we surmount to get to the finish line. Generally everybody helps everybody here, however it takes the builder to make use of that and make it all happen. I rarely reach what I would call a finish line, purely because I enjoy the process and refining technique as opposed to ending up with a guitar at the end of it. Which is pretty weird. I suppose people that go out on runs don't always do it for the medals, if that analogy works.

I'm looking forward to hearing feedback from the client. That should be a cool slant and a nice bookend on this project! 

wait who's ass am I supposed to be blowing on then?  wait, that came out right.  "I'm reminded of a time when you cared whos ass it was, and why it was farting" lol 

well, I don't mean to gush... but honestly feel like this place makes me raise my "attempts"(not necc accomplishments) to another level with the beauty constantly on display... and the encouragement has really made me better than I would be for sure.  the environment where one can bounce things off others has influenced and improved my results... so for that I can't take credit... and feel like it'd be unfair to not acknowledge.  I remember posting some of my design ideas over on tdpri (which is a fantastic forum in many respects) and was met with a hailstorm of negativity.  I guess in it's own way that may have improved me too... but it was far less pleasant that's for sure!  Might even have driven some to give up alltogether.  makes me want to do more to try and do the same for others and I will try.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't understand negativity coming from here. TDPRI maybe, since the scope of the site seems to be more specific in terms of user location, interests and age group. Don't rock the boat, break any moulds, "back in my day" and all that. Building an instrument or learning the processes are meant to be a joy, and if that's not good enough for some people, meh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Well, I wouldn't understand negativity coming from here. TDPRI maybe, since the scope of the site seems to be more specific in terms of user location, interests and age group. Don't rock the boat, break any moulds, "back in my day" and all that. Building an instrument or learning the processes are meant to be a joy, and if that's not good enough for some people, meh.

yeah, it was a whole lotta that... I get it... they just really appreciate the leo design as is!  that said, it is the environment here that has encouraged me to follow my own ideas about how that could be improved or simply modified, and for that I am thankful.