Thoughts on this strap hardware...

JayT

Listening to Guitar Knobs podcast today and the guest is Micheal King of Cow Brand guitars --- looking at some of his designs (this guy makes every part of his guitars btw) I find this strap not-button very cool. 

Wondering if I'm alone on liking this so much, and if it is something he borrowed. Anyone see anything like this before?

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.17.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.17.29 PM.png

Never seen it but I can see a couple of issues with that. First, how long will it take that the lock chews through the wire or vice versa depending on the materials, and second, how long will it take the lock to seriously relic the edge of the guitar.

Just today I saw a 1930's hollowbody jazz guitar in almost mint condition which makes me a bit hypersensitive for things that may cause excessive wear.

Noob question, but could this result in "clacking" or other weird noises being sent trough the body out the soundhole? Metal hitting metal (with one being firmly secured onto the body)... not sure I'd go down this route. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gogzs said:

could this result in "clacking" or other weird noises being sent trough the body out the soundhole?

That's another good question. I've experienced quite nasty noise from locking strap buttons when the vaseline wears out.

Instead a locking hook a leather belt might work, similar to a bag handle. At least it would be less noisy and less chewy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gogzs said:

Noob question, but could this result in "clacking" or other weird noises being sent trough the body out the soundhole? Metal hitting metal (with one being firmly secured onto the body)... not sure I'd go down this route. 

I will tell you what definitely will produce clacking, when your guitar hits the ground from some junk-ass strap button.

This is secure, and follows my formula of function over cosmetics all day long.

Functionally, it's as secure as you could ever hope for.

Cosmetically, up to you.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gogzs said:

In one of my bands, we played Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner. During the quiet bit with the ships timbers creaking, the other guitar player would rock his guitar back and forth on his leather strap which made creaking noises exactly like the record. It was dumb but super effective.

Semi-related:
-We also did YYZ, and would kick a small PA that had reverb springs during the solo where the whip snap sound is.
-At the beginning of Ozzy - I Don't Know, we moved a mic in circular motions over a cymbal while the drummer used soft mallets. Sounded just like the record.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 5 months later...

I like the idea, but the wire on the guitar is too thin.  You would need some overly long screws attaching it to the body to make it fairly stable as the wire doesn’t have the mass to hold the guitar over time (the wire will bend out of shape.). Increase the wire to around half the thickness of the clip and it’ll be solid. 

Good point @Bjorn.LaSanche! Not only bending, metals also wear and fatigue. Slowly but surely the thin wire will break when you least expect it to.

- I have been using this briefcase for a couple of decades daily and one day the square wire loop of the handle just snapped - and it's 4 mm thick! The other loop is still fully intact. Another example is what I learned about my car, the copper cable from the alternator had snapped because the continuous jitter and vibration had hammered the flexible wire hard and brittle.

certainly is interesting.  I'm not overly crazy about it but it's nice... as mentioned I'd be concerned about my finish in that area.

my biggest sell point on strap locks are how much they would dig into my leg when playing with guitar at angle resting on right theigh.  I like the dunlop ok for that as they have the pressure spread over larger area (schaller strap locks have that ball and it is painfull).  recently put d'addario strap pins on a guitar... I'll be using those from now on.  just a simple diamond shape that makes the strap go on easy... but it isn't falling off any time soon.  big area so don't dig into my leg.

10898-1-on20white-3000.jpg?hash=63761317