Mad Cow Disease

I wish I could take the credit, but I swear this guitar is building itself. :D

A week ago, I couldn't have told you that it was going to have a steer head on it.

Something popped the idea in my head and I just did it, I've never done anything like that before.

Two days ago, I couldn't have told you it was going to have recessed control cavities. From somewhere came the idea to do it, and I just did it, I've never done recessed knobber-things before.

It just kind of lets me know what it wants next and I just oblige it.

There have been no plans at all for this guitar except I knew all I could get out of it was a Tele shape. Nothing whatsoever past that fact. Everything else just kinda keeps 'happening' as the days pass.

Guitar-Zen at it's best I guess, because I'm just as surprised at what's happening to it as you might be.

I have no clue what it's going to look like when it's done, but I know it's not done yet.

I don't know what's going to happen with the steer head, it'll just let me know when it wants to I guess...I don't know where that's going :D

If I'm lucky, maybe it'll play itself too? B)

PS, Skibum, it's not really a metal shape, it's really just a Tele with a spiked horn on it, everything else is all Tele-country, from the natural-edge bark inclusions to the overall Tele shape to the Tele bridge to the Maple Tele neck...it's really just a Texas Tele with an attitude problem I guess? :D

PPS, wood is from E-bay, as usual. :D

the first time I saw it I thought the guitar was growing out of Diablo, but i just realized that the whole think is the guitar, wicked :D

It looks like it will be one hell of an axe, and the head on the top horn makes it look like its branded, makes it have major attitude. How heavy is it by the way? and how many souls has it consumed B)

also whats the difference between the pictures that make it look white and the pictures that make it look orange, is it the light or was it wet?

Yeah, the 'white' shots are dry shots, the orange-y shots are with water spritzed on it, some are natural light, some are with flash...

It started out VERY heavy, too heavy really, at 7lbs+ when cut to raw Tele shape, but it's now down to 5 or 5.5, very nice now.

PS, I've been taking shots of it since the very beginning, but all the preliminary shots were all lost due to a computer glitchy, so the first shot here above is where the story picks up pic-wise, there's nothing remaining from the beginning shaping shots. :D

Thanks for all the nice words. B)

it's really just a Texas Tele with an attitude problem

I couldn't have put it better!

Now all it needs is a coat of black lacquer and no one will ever have to feel so inferior as they do right now! :D

Seriously, though, don't dye it or ANYTHING. Clear, PLEASE!! B)

Somebody else already said it, but: "SICK"!! In a good way.

Totally a tele with attitude. When I saw the steer's head, I thought it fit perfectly.

As for the headstock... I have some ideas, but I don't even want to say them because I know whatever you come up with will make my idea look weak by comparison. :D

As for the clear vs. dye option-- I think there are some really great options with dyeing that could make this thing look lethal, but clear would look OK, also. Me, I'm more thinking dye, but what the heck. B)

Greg

Very cool!!! I love the bark inclusions. B) Totally rocks! :D I once thought about using a cypress knot, like they make clocks out of, and trying to make a naturally shaped guitar out of a slab from it. Couldn't visualize it though.

I know it's not the finished guitar in the pics, but its gotta have a rosewood fretboard. I think maple would push it overboard. And, I don't care for the traditional tele bridge. It covers too much of the top.

What about this bridge:

Bridge Pictures

Mighty mite makes one that is almost identical but cost way less on the 'bay.

Where did you get the wood from? I would leave the wife for grain like that!

Right On Tony!

I had already decided to get this strap from El Dorado Guitar accessories for it in keeping with the western look.

I have also been mulling over some sort of Turquoise piece on it too to help the southwestern flavoring of it, nothing concrete yet...like, a black steer face w/ turquoise eyes kinda thing...

playcroc2.jpgbackstrap.jpg

I 'wanted' to do this bridge, but it's just too expensive considering all the other stuff I got going on now...

partsPhoto.jpg