Ok, what got YOU into guitar building?

Strange Fruit

What, or indeed who, got you into Guitar building?  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i was really unhappy that all the guitars with the pickups and bridges and quality that i wanted were all so expensive.i was buying guitars and changing out electronics and hardware and still not getting what i wanted.and i think $4000 is a ridiculous price to pay for a custom esp,so i decided to learn how to build them.so far so good.

same for me but I wanted somthing else like the satisfaction of playing it

Guest AlexVDL

I helped out a friend of mine who is a master luthier. At first I told him I'd do it for free, but it was a lot of work (I helped him renovate his house and store), so he wanted to pay me for it. I said no, but he insisted.

Afterwards he told me instead of payment I could build a guitar on his expenses. Well I couldn't resist that. After my first guitar was done I noticed it was 1000x better than a stock guitar you buy from a store. So i decided to build more. Now I'm working on my 5th B):D

Being a lefty severely limits your options. For the most part you can order black, red, or white with the standard pcikup configuration, and you pay extra and wait longer for it!!! The only way to really get what you want is to do it yourself. Plus I'm a CAD drafter so I can easily make my own designs and templates that are very accurate.

I had nothing to do for the last 4 classes of "wood-working" or whatever it's called, so I started building a guitar body. It's not done yet, but on it's way...

Well, I've always tinkered with guitars, but for building them it started as wanting separate bits of every guitar. I wanted to make one instrument that had a little bit of each of my favorites.

That's how it started. Now it's just for fun and to see if I can win the guitar of month on this forum. :D

My father is a blacksmith by trade and he does everything himself because he says it he can and does. I guess I picked it up from him. I always say I've done a 46 year apprenticeship with him which is still going on. Some of the hardware which I couldn't get in Cape Town back in the early seventies he made for me.

Keith

Because it´s like having a song of your own, something you´ve made and are proud of. And if it sounds better and plays better than what you get around and costs less....

Just for fun, but would be great to do it profesionally

• 2 weeks later...

i don't really build a lot of guitars, but ive gotten myself quite a reputation as a finisher of them... whenever my friends are making a guitar, they come to me to do the finishing :D i feel so special

well, i guess what im trying to say is that i got into it because i wanted something to paint without being constricted by normality

oh, and in case your wondering, yes, i'm eccentric

• 2 weeks later...

well mr.prs likes to be really really expensive! so i decided to start making my own, ive always tinkered with them and i love working on them so its right up my alley! and now i have a few customers and am gonna start my own little co. building them! plus you get alot more attention from people at shows when you tell them you built it yourself!

• 1 year later...

Other....I could have picked "individuality" but really, it is because I want certain guitars and options that are just not readily available, and would be prohibitively expensive to get from any custom shop except my own! And I really enjoy building them with my own two hands.

Certainly not lack of funds... :D

Quite a few of the options got me into it! Can't afford decent guitars (or guitar cabs for that matter), so why not build one! You can make an amazing gutar for the price of a crappy korean import! and also, the fact i couldnt get exactly what i wanted from a bought guitar, so i make them! Oh yeah, and its fun.