Magma Attack!

Drak

No, everything's cool, it's done and drying. B)

I have 7 bodies that were all finished around about the same time, and all are drying now.

Actually, they're pretty much done drying, and I'm staggering them all out over the winter months to give me something to do since I shut down all building over the winter, I get to put together 7 new guitars!

It is the 'rhythm' of my building that I build during the good months, get the finish done before it gets too cold, let them cure for a good month or more, then assemble them and enjoy over the winter months.

You will not be dissapointed. :D

I've got coming...

Strats:

1) Satriani Strat (2-HB, Floyd, Active Controls)

2) Magma (3-SC, fixed bridge, Active Controls)

3) Another Strat much like Satch (2-HB, Floyd, Active Controls) but in a much more traditional Fender sunburst color style (I've never posted that one here yet :D ) ...Not named yet...

Teles:

3 different chambered Cowskulls (you're gonna really like these rodeo puppies :D )

V's:

1) Bubinga Razor Shark (2-HB, TOM, Active Controls) Bubinga top, Quartersawn Walnut body. The neck still needs to be addressed for this one, hopefully I can pull it out before it gets bitterly cold...might have to wait for next season...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Drak, hey can I ask you somthing? What do you do with all your guitars when they are finished? Do you have a huge stable of them or do you sell them?

I have several in process and wonder what I will do with all of them after they are finished.

:D

Personally, I play mine :D .

The whole reason I got into this was to build guitars FOR ME that no custom shop could or would build, and that's pretty much exactly what I do, for far cheaper than any luthier would charge me, and with far more creativity than some have to offer, and with a lot more fun involved along the way.

I guess I grew to love the building of guitars along the way, but that was never the primary reason, the primary reason was to build my own custom guitars to play, and that ideology still holds true to this day, it never changed, it never got corrupted by the thought of money or ego, it's still clean and unaltered and true, 12 years later, just the way I like it. :D

• 1 year later...
Since it was brought up on the other thread... can we finally see the guitar finished??? :D

+1 I really wanted to bump this thread... thanks!

All I see is myth. Fiery, cloudy open-water myth.

Hey, what are the chances of getting an image of the original wood grain to see what this thing started out as?

Thanks everyone for the interest :D .

I haven't really done any building in almost a year now, as guitar building has always been just a fun hobby, and the past year I had a lot of committments going on that prevented me from doing any real building, so I can't even remember where Magma Attack wound up as far as how far along it has been finished.

I ended up the last season by finishing up all the CowTown Teles, and was veering away from most of the Strat styled bodies I had been working on.

I think I should have the time to open everything back up this Spring and maybe I'll revisit Magma.

Until then, I did find some more pics of it if anyone cares to see. :D

The Raw Wood shot that someone asked for...

MagmaRawBody.jpg

Initial Staining Shot

MagmaStain1.jpg

First Sand Back Shot

MagmaStain2.jpg

Secondary Color Addition

MagmaStain3.jpg

Pickups Cut and (hardtail) Bridge basics done

MagmaPkpsCut.jpg

Thanks very much :D .

You have a good eye there, you are dead-on correct about the bridge pkp.

I had originally decided to use a Telecaster bridge/pkp on it, and had already done the route for a Tele bridge, then changed my mind to the white 2-HB setup.

The pkp mounting ring will hide 99% of the booboo, and I had planned to do a little easy patch to cover anything the mounting ring doesn't cover.

Good eye!

As far as 'sick' tops, this one is really the sickest one I 'think' I have, cool spalting pattern and crazy chevron quilting too.

Really need to finish this one up one day, it's been sitting around here for several years now... :D

BodyWet-1.jpg

*pout* You routed out Scooby Doo's face!

I remember seeing this when you first posted it, and having to change my pants when I saw that top. Now I have to do so again. That came out fantastic! I can't wait to see it all done.

I thought I read somewhere that EMG had stopped offering white pickups. I'm not positive, though, but I hope you have the connections if you need them. I'm a big fan of the LP too! The quilt is in just the right place that it'll turn out to be quite the looker when it gets carved.

Just more reasons why I've taken such a fancy to the natural wood look so much, as of late :D I think I'm finally out of the "everything must be painted BLACK" heavy metal phase. Keep up the good work!

As for the change in pickup route issue, another idea that I think might look fairly cool would be some homemade pickup rings, which could be made a hair thicker to fully cover the route. For the rings my initial suggestion was going to be some wood similar in nature, but I don't know how easily or well that type of wood would be to make rings out of, however, I think a well chosen piece of black and white ebony could fit well with that top. Anyhow, just something that came to mind when I read the thread.

As said, amazing wood, great finishes, and very nice work. You mentioned veering away from the style of bodies you've been hooked on as of lately, any ideas of what you're going to look at for future work? I was actually very glad to hear that, your finishes and wood choices are amazing and I'm excited to see what other body styles will looked like Draked. Tele and Strat- you've been Draked.

Again, thanks for the nice comments.

Yes, I already have two white EMG HB's, I think they're both 85's tho, which will be OK if I can't find an 81, but you can usually find what you need in the used pickup market out there.

This is the last guitar I finished that I have pics of.

Once I finished this one, I was totally off into my CowTown Telecasters. :D

This is not a CTT, but the pre-cursor to them.

BTW, the 2 Lace Sensors were removed after these pics and replaced with a Barden Strat and a DiMarzio (Cruiser I think).

Both dual blade SC size HB's. The bridge is a Harmonic Design S-90.

The CTT's all have the steerhead cutout, all are partially chambered, and all have EMG Afterburners/ Active Electronic harnesses with standard pkps of various makes, combined with the Classic 3-saddle stamped steel bridges (I use Glendale) and Maple necks (mostly, not all).

I think once I hit on the CowTown Teles, I had, after all these years, finally hit on the perfect blend of fit and features in a customized guitar that I always wanted, the 'thing' I had been looking for all these years, and so the rest of them, the Eagle Series ('Bones' and 'Floyd Bird' were Eagle Series) other Custom shapes I designed, the various Strats, Arched tops, they sort of lost their glamour for me when the CTT's were born, because the CTT's are just absolutely perfect for me, they are my dream guitars realized.

And that was what it was all about in the first place.

PrayerPic.jpg

FullFront-1.jpg

EpoxyLeft-1.jpg

BodyCloseup-1.jpg