Diet Vs. Regular

jmrentis

Diet Soda Vs. Regular Soda  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys,

Just need to collect a bit of data quickly for a statistical psychology course. The data is essentially irrelevant as soda has nothing to do with the psych portion of the course, but this is more of an exercise designed to practice testing our research and null hypothesis. So if you can help out that would be great, if you drink more than 15 in a week, check that option then if you can just quickly post the number you drink in a week and that would be fine. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I'll get rid of the post in a couple days, just want to see what data I can grab here. Jason

I voted...I kind of assume you meant cans or an equivalent when you ask how many...generally I have 2ltr bottle in the fridge these days...so I figured this might be maybe 4 cans worth!

Oops, yes, forgot about explaining that, thanks for pointing that out and working it out, perfect. An approximation in cans equivalent will work, if anyone doesn't want to bother figuring it out just post what you drink in any other increment size and I'll work the math later, no worries and again very much appreciated guys. J

I'll take the 140 calorie hit for a sweetened soda rather than the 0 calorie carcinogenic soda. :D

I guess you don't eat anything BBQ'ed, since that is carcinogenic too :D

I drink Coke Zero, made with Splenda, so no NutraSweet, but if there was no splenda I will still take the diet, rather than the extra spare tire on my waist.

I'll take the 140 calorie hit for a sweetened soda rather than the 0 calorie carcinogenic soda. :D

I guess you don't eat anything BBQ'ed, since that is carcinogenic too :D

I drink Coke Zero, made with Splenda, so no NutraSweet, but if there was no splenda I will still take the diet, rather than the extra spare tire on my waist.

Coke Zero isn't actually made with Splenda, it's sweetened with aspartame as well as Ace K. But it's what I drink as well. I think there was and maybe still is a version of coke with splenda, but I'm not sure how successful it's been.

The difference in it and diet coke is that diet coke was patterned after the taste of 'new coke' back in the 80's, whereas Coke Zero's taste is patterned after coke classic.

Coke Zero isn't actually made with Splenda, it's sweetened with aspartame as well as Ace K. But it's what I drink as well. I think there was and maybe still is a version of coke with splenda, but I'm not sure how successful it's been.

The difference in it and diet coke is that diet coke was patterned after the taste of 'new coke' back in the 80's, whereas Coke Zero's taste is patterned after coke classic.

You are right! I got confused with Pepsi One that made the change to Splenda. Never the less, Coke Zero taste is awesome, even my son likes it, and he is picky at eating or drinking stuff. I know that Diet Coke was marketed with Splenda a while ago, I think that is why I got confused too. I don't get any aftertaste with Zero, and the Sprite Zero is awesome too!!!

Personally, I don't like Coke. Diet Coke tastes like a$$. I'm all for the alternate colas - Pibb & Pepper. The leser ones are even better, like RC. Diet Cherry RC is exceptionally good for a diet soda. But for my cheapness, you can't beat Vess. Mix & match your own case at the local discount grocery chain for about $5.00 with flavors you can't find anywhere else... oooooohhhh yea.

I used to drink 2+ sodas per day when I was working in restaurants. I'm down to 2-3/week at most now. I was surrounded by a seemingly endless supply of free food & soda. I left the industry in May of '07 and have put on 20 pounds since then. Tell me how much sense THAT one makes.

Edited by avengers63

Personally, I don't like Coke. Diet Coke tastes like a$$.

John!! Why do you do it??!! Now Wes will want to know how you know what a$$ tastes like!! :D

It's Pepsi Max for me ... and way too many cups of coffee.

The coffee dehydrates me ... the Pepsi Max rehydrates me. I like to throw 'em both in together and let 'em fight it out.

:D

Personally, I don't like Coke. Diet Coke tastes like a$$. I'm all for the alternate colas - Pibb & Pepper. The leser ones are even better, like RC. Diet Cherry RC is exceptionally good for a diet soda. But for my cheapness, you can't beat Vess. Mix & match your own case at the local discount grocery chain for about $5.00 with flavors you can't find anywhere else... oooooohhhh yea.

I used to drink 2+ sodas per day when I was working in restaurants. I'm down to 2-3/week at most now. I was surrounded by a seemingly endless supply of free food & soda. I left the industry in May of '07 and have put on 20 pounds since then. Tell me how much sense THAT one makes.

Actually, Dr Pepper is supposedly amaretto-flavored. That's what they were aiming for anyway. Presumably Mr Pibb as well.

As for leaving the restaurant industry and then gaining weight: I used to manage a pizza place, now I'm in I.T. Did the same weight-gain routine when I left the restaurant. (Fortunately, I weighed just under 130 at the time, so gaining 25 pounds was actually a good thing.) I attribute it to being constantly on my feet and moving all the time in the restaurant vs. now sitting at a desk most of the day.

Actually, Dr Pepper is supposedly amaretto-flavored. That's what they were aiming for anyway. Presumably Mr Pibb as well.

I never heard that about Dr. pepper. Mr. Pibb is supposed to have prune flavoring.

It's ironic that we both left food service for IT.

I guess technically I didn't leave foodservice... I still work for the same company I did when I ran restaurants. I just work at a laptop instead of with customers now. :D

I used to drink Coke...until I moved to Europe. Where they don't believe in massive cups of ice. So you're able to taste what that stuff really tastes like when it's not ice cold. Really, it's revolting. But then, this is true for all sodas. I challenge anyone to drink a lukewarm soda and actually enjoy it.

The worst part is that they've replaced sugar with all that fake stuff. High-fructose corn syrup is pretty nasty stuff -- your body simply doesn't know how to deal with it, much less digest it. There's some pretty strong evidence that it's one of the main culprits behind the massive surge in obesity (more on that in a moment).

But even worse than HFCS is aspartame. That stuff is pure, outright poison. It should never have been allowed onto the market as a food additive, and in fact the FDA blocked it for nearly two decades. That is until Donald Rumsfeld was hired on as CEO of Searle (the company that developed the stuff), round about the time Ronald Reagan was elected as president. Next thing you know, asparame suddenly gets full approval.

And soon after, the incidence of brain tumors increased at an exponential rate. And not long after that, the incidence of neurological disorders skyrocketed.

Not to mention that regular drinkers of diet sodas are as prone if not more so to becoming obese. Part of the reason behind this (and with HFCS) is that, with ordinary sugar, your body knows when it has had enough, and it's very difficult to take more -- you become physically ill, in other words. But the body produces none of these signals when ingesting false sugars. In fact, there's evidence to suggest that the body counter-reacts to the false sugars by packing on more fat, possibly because the body goes into 'starvation' mode.

Why are these products out there? Because they're far less expensive than true sugar. They certainly weren't developed for our health.

If they're that dangerous, why are they allowed on the market? Because politicians are wimps--or collaborators-- when it comes to big money.

Yeah, yeah, I know, this is supposed to be an exercise for something else.

Anyway, don't take my word for it. Do your own research. There's an excellent documentary about aspartame, you can watch it on Google Video: Sweet Misery

Maybe some of you will think twice about the kind of crap you're putting into your body.