If You Beat A Corvus With An Ugly Stick........

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ouch... you know, I read that thread and saw the last couple of posts and wondered what had become of it..... any updates?!???

the 'poxy showed me everywhere I wasn't perfectly planed or edged. Humbling, if nothing else. I thought I had it looking pretty good, myself. :D

I probably had a dozen spots , some big as a half a pencil eraser, that were just a rude awakening. Spots that - while still all orange- looked great.filled with black and taken back? SMACK!! right in the kisser.

I could avoid them and spray a solid color - or - stick to my plan, do the extra work and make it what it deserves to be.

Good.

For now, I'm sticking with plan A.

To me, it's almost like watching a car blow up. It makes me go "whoa" but there's no way I would want to be near it :D. I am interested in what the ramifications are of not structurally coupling your "headstock" to the rest of the neck directly. Of course, I am more interested in it as a physics problem than a guitar, but then again, I have a more conservative aesthetic preference.

Wow...

On one hand: :D

On the other hand, the concept of a separate piece to hold the string tension, thereby negating almost all the stress on the neck, aside from the backward pressure from the break angle over the nut is very interesting. So its not all bad!

I'd clip those string dangles if you want it to look less ugly though :D

i actually quite like it.

if that extra bit was incorporated in a more graceful way than the square route i think i could really like it

Thanks for the input y'all. I do have a much 'sleeker/more normal looking' upper area for the next model.

The tuners will be in the usual spot and body will be regular sized.

...and I'll trim the hedges before I take pics. :D

I have discovered a couple of things about the idea so far :

Too little break angle over the nut will make it buzzy when open strings are played

Too much break angle will put too much back pressure on the neck blank.

Sustain isn't affected by the neck being 'not attached' to the strings.

Tone might be. yet to be determined ........( I'm using old strings on it right now... )

The long strings behind the bridge have several sympathy notes .

This actual model is as comfy as it is odd-looking.

I'll use my findings so far to assist me with the next model.

:D

I would have to hand it to you for originality though.

after reviewing the above posts, I think my 'originality' trophy is in jeapordy! :D

It just goes to show how true the statement "there's only so many things you can do to a guitar's shape" is. Odd's are whatever we come up with design wise, someone somewhere has tried something eerily similar. That spalted maple geet you made last year does stand a chance of being one of a kind though!

SR