Project Zero

For slimming necks, cut a 4 mm long piece of tooth pick, colour the top red with a ball point pen. Take a very thin drill, drill down to the truss rod, insert the tooth pick piece, tap it down to the rod with another toothpick, sand the neck down to the red, when the red is gone it's time to stop.

For slimming necks, cut a 4 mm long piece of tooth pick, colour the top red with a ball point pen. Take a very thin drill, drill down to the truss rod, insert the tooth pick piece, tap it down to the rod with another toothpick, sand the neck down to the red, when the red is gone it's time to stop.

I just use a veneer caliper and carve/sand until I reach my desired measurement!

Thank for the advice. I like the idea but then you would have a red dot on the back of the neck right?

For the record this was an ALLPARTS neck not one of mine.

For my necks I plan out the total depth of the trussrod + 1/8" - 3/32" of wood and write it on the side of the neck blank (or the table). Then I use the neck monster to plane the neck off to match that measurement. Then while shaping I do not take any wood off the back of the neck as it is basically the final size minus some sanding.

Cheers!

i have a Fat allparts neck i need to reshape... i have done it a few times now and it seems to work best if you concentrate on changing profile rather then actual thickness

a 1" thick V-profile neck seems to feel slimmer than a 1" thick C/D shaped neck. based on this i usually only take a minimal amount off the centre line and take more wood off the cheeks when 'thinning a neck'

In my experience the Strat necks from ALLPARTS are fine. Never really have to work on them. Neck profiles are also very subjective as every one likes them different.

The trussrod on this neck was about 1/8" from the back of the neck. The curve on the single action rod was extreme even excessive.

When I rebuild this neck I am going with a double action trussrod and one of my regular consistent profiles where the neck is the same thickness from the 1st to the 15th.

Thank for the advice. I like the idea but then you would have a red dot on the back of the neck right?

All that is left is a little wooden dot in the back of the neck, ball point doesn't penetrate far into the tooth pick end so when you sand down to the red dot keep sanding until the red dot is sanded off you should still have a bees todger over 3 mm of wood covering the truss rod.

For the record this was an ALLPARTS neck not one of mine.

For my necks I plan out the total depth of the trussrod + 1/8" - 3/32" of wood and write it on the side of the neck blank (or the table). Then I use the neck monster to plane the neck off to match that measurement. Then while shaping I do not take any wood off the back of the neck as it is basically the final size minus some sanding.

Cheers!

That's right it's a completely different ball game when you haven't made the neck and you don't know where the truss rod is. :D

All that is left is a little wooden dot in the back of the neck, ball point doesn't penetrate far into the tooth pick end so when you sand down to the red dot keep sanding until the red dot is sanded off you should still have a bees todger over 3 mm of wood covering the truss rod.

Got it. Makes sense.

That's right it's a completely different ball game when you haven't made the neck and you don't know where the truss rod is. :D

What I've done in the past on refurbs when reshaping a neck is use the bottom of a veneer caliper (the tip that pops out the bottom of the handle when you open up the jaws), open up the caliper a couple cm then push the tip into the truss slot as far up to the nut as I can get it using it as a depth guage this will tell you the approx depth of the truss slot assuming its the same depth route in that position as in the guitar - which they usually are.

Has worked well for me so far, not that I do refurbs anymore.

• 4 months later...

Lightning Strikes Again... I was staring at this old neck I had. I had just taken the guitar it belonged to apart to steal the vintage parts for other projects. I really loved that neck but I had done a horrible job designing the headstock. Then it hit me... Zero! I had forgotten about the project but it now has life. Time to resurrect an old neck. I started by cutting the old wings off and looking for some vintage maple (in the scrap bucket) to add new wings. Couldn't find any scraps from the 80s big enough to make a hockey stick so I had to use some stuff from the late 90s... still white when I sanded it up. Doesn't matter as this gets Kamikaze paint at some point.

I have them fit... time to epoxy. I use a guide board to make sure everything stays level. There won't be any room to sand things straight later.

P6060506.jpg

P6060507.jpg

P6060508.jpg

P6060509.jpg

• 1 year later...

So I had some time to kill between lacquer coats on a customer guitar so I grabbed the white zero body off the hook and decided to start making a mess.

Not sure what I am up to with this paint scheme. For now lets just call it an experiment.

IMG_20130810_120554_zpsa37e1b35.jpg

I have decided to not follow the Kamikaze theme but just pay respects to it. Some sort of 80s montage. Also bailing on the Kamikaze graphics and going much more American. I am planning on doing a Corsair theme with a picture of Boyington instead of the Kamikaze pilot. Should be fun.

IMG_20130810_120559_zps289884ba.jpg

I used to have a strat that I re-sprayed with that colour orange - when I came back outside to spray another coat the sun had come out & it was like getting a welding flash! I had afterburn on my retina!

looking cool all the same! :player:rock

I was spraying it outside and it hurt to look at it about Noon. I am not sure I like it... we will see.

\m/